Quantcast

No Respect

Ya know, I've seen a lot of sh*t in the 37 years I've been around, but yesterday on the way home from work I witnessed something that seems to kind of sum up the the human condition these days... :angry:

I was driving down a residential street a couple blocks from my office, on the way home for the evening, when I see a pair of robins ( the the feathered kind, not a pair of Dick Grayson clones ;) ) hovering above the street, generally going nuts and dive bombing a kid about 8-10 years old on the sidewalk. I'm like, hmmm... I slow down as I approach, and the the kid kicks something under a bush and gives me a crusty look as I drive by. Once past, I look in the rear view and see the kid pull a baby robin from under the bush (that's what he kicked so I wouldn't see it) and proceed to (continue to, actually) bludgeon the crap out of this poor bird with a piece of PVC pipe. I slam on the brakes and whip around, but the evil little bastard obviously was on to me, and he quickly finished the job and booked out on his bike before I could make it back to collar him.

I stopped, got out, and went over to see if I could help the bird, but the kid had successfully beat it to death. The robin was an adolescent, probably just learning to fly, when the little serial-killer-in-the-making found it and decided to take its life. What a twisted little f*ck. :angry:

It's kids like this that start out life torturing and killing little animals that turn in to tomorrow's serial killers. It really kind of sums up for me the apparently increasing lack of respect for life that many humans seems to be developing for their own and other species. Yes, kids will be kids, but what I witnessed wasn't some peer pressure-induced mob-rules activity where the "I dare you" kinda thing gets out of hand. This little monster went out of his way to kill this helpless bird, in a most brutal and painful way. If that would have been my kid, he'd be headed for psychiatric help immediately, as behavior like that goes way beyond taking pot shots at squirrels or rabbits with a BB gun.

Anyhow, not wanting the Ted Bundy Jr. to come back to vivisect the poor creature for fun, I wrapped it in a chain wipe rag (I didn't think it'd mind the condition of the burial shroud, considering), drove home, and buried it in the backyard. In my years I've bore sad witness to someone taking their own life, but I think it's even more disheartening to see a third party rob another creature (even one as small as a bird) of it's life for it's own twisted pleasure.

Rant off. Cheers.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You should find out who he is and show up on his doorstep with a 6' long section of PVC pipe and ask him if he'd like the tables to be turned...

Stuff like that.. Makes you wonder - are his parents dipsh*ts? Are they normal people who just haven't tried hard enough? Are they doing their best and the kid is just a twisted little freak? What makes a kid do something like that - especially to make sure to get in a couple more licks when he knew he was almost caught?

Pogo

Chimp
Feb 19, 2004
the jungle
Oh how I wish you had been able to lay hands on that little monsta! **** like that makes me sick. What else can be said....His parents really should understand what there little darling does for yucks!

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
Theres always been sicko kids who torture animals. They grow up to beat their wives and molest their children. Sad but true.

Yah, if I could have turned around faster and caught the kid, I would have loved to. It wouldn't have saved the bird, but I could have at least had a few "words" with the punk. I would wonder what his parents would be like concerning the matter had I the chance to enilighten them...? I can't help but think that we're seeing more "Cops" rejects raising kids these days. :rolleyes: Though, you have to consider that I am in Utah, where statistically if you have only one up-and-coming mass murderer in a brood of 12 or 14 kids, you considering it a pretty good parenting. ;)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
derekbob said:
Theres always been sicko kids who torture animals. They grow up to beat their wives and molest their children. Sad but true.

you were never like that, were you? :blah:

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
chicodude01 said:
you were never like that, were you? :blah:
Well, maybe, but thanks to a heavy regimen of paxil and methadone I can controll my bloodlust.
:drool: <-- heavily medicated smiley

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
here is what you do...

Wait by the birds dead body for the kid to come back, he is just mess'd up enough that he will come back to eat his kill. Once he returns you got him...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
no, just kidding, I hate kids like that too. I was the kid when kid in the neighborhood wanted to go shoot squirrles with their new paintball guns, I shot trees, and tried to get them to :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SprungShoulders said:
It really kind of sums up for me the apparently increasing lack of respect for life that many humans seems to be developing for their own and other species.
Quite a stretch to turn one odd circumstance into an example of how today's youth are degrading and spiraling out of control.
Especially since the city you live in was founded by Mormons who had not much respect for life on native people.
I do not disagree that what the kid did was irresponsible, dumb, and reprehensible, but your underlying theme i completely disagree with. It's as it has always been, if not better for nowadays there are laws and people actually (some who are fanatics) on board for the defense of animals. Take a step back and breathe, society really isn't that bad, we're just horribly overpopulated.
I did alot of stupid crap when i was a kid, dissected a tree frog with a pal and found it gross, too bad maybe if i had found it interesting i'd have had a prospering career as a doctor. And another time i had to prove to my cousin how much of a dead-eye shot i was with a wrist rocket, plunked a little bird off a wire, had to crush it's head with my heel, it was suffering. I did feel bad for that one, since i was older, and was aware enough to realize how unnecessary that was.
It's a responsibility of adults to tell kids why it's so stupid. You chasing him down might very well be enough to get the kid to rethink his ways, you never know.... But i suppose if you see the same kid killing more birds, maybe the responsible thing to do would be to beat him silly with a wiffle ball bat. ;)

JimmyTwoTimes said:
:think: ....as opposed to.........good????
okay, a little education for people in Saigon:
In America, we do something called small game hunting, where we use small caliber rifles and mostly airguns for hunting small pests, especially those who come near our property that cause damage to our plants nad crops. it can also include some birds that cause damage to the finish of our cars.
Small game hunting is, IMO, the best form of hunting ever, the small size of the targets are harder to shoot, so the average yahoo who got a hold of a shotgun can't do it. you gotta be a damn good marksman to do it. Second, it's much less damaging to the "environment".

but the good small game hunter don't kill baby animals, period.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Well yeah, that's a little better than killing a 900LB dear from 100' away with a phucking elephant gun. I just can't have a clear conscience killing something. I have a hard time killiing ants. Spiders? No problem. Ants, dunno why, can't kill em. Feel bad for them. Woudn't it suck being an ant?

Knuckle

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
See, it's like this. Some folks lack a certain something. You can't make them understand. They're just lacking in the conscience department. It's like My X. I have a kid with her and she has twins (19, boy and girl)
Their father lives 4 towns away. Has never paid a dime of child support and hasn't seen them in 12 years.
Me? I left when my kid was 4, she's 7 now. I pay support and see her regularly, but I'm still riddled with guilt constantly caus I disappointed her. I have a conscience. A lot of folks do not.

People without respect for living things should just be phucking killed. I love the movie powder when the hunter feels the pain that the deer felt when it was shot and killed. Remember folks. Life is short. One day youll see that this was only a split second, and what comes around, goes around.

Knuckle

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
yea, guns, i really dont like them much. So I've decided that a major way to improve society and life as we know it would be to institute pithing. Render the world weaponless. Experiment goes like this: you pin a frog down and then jam another pin through its brain. The frog freezes. You remove the pin, and the frog is back to normal. So, if we institute pithing as self defense, life would be simpler.