Quantcast

No, seriously, what tires?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thx! After all that, due to bad ordering malfunctifications on my part, I ended up with both Forekasters and Aggressors. Mounted up the forekasters when I built it today because hey, why not...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm thinking about some of those new ground controls. I'm really I don't need super-ultra-mega loam chuckers when I ride in hardpack and rocks. They look like a good mix of small knobs and aggressive ones.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Put the aggressors on f/r after the forekasters didn't hold on some flattish corners, low-siding me a couple times. Much happier...I think the ground is a bit harder than the Forekasters were designed for, even if it is slippery.

The aggressors just feel more like a DH tire to me in the corners. I seem to be the only fan of these in the world, esp as a front tire.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, back from the dead...whatchaall think about the Rekon as a fast trail tire?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Also, back from the dead...whatchaall think about the Rekon as a fast trail tire?
I think it's pretty well regarded, but I've never tried it myself. I've used Ikons for that requirement for the last decade+.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Think I'm going to try a Dissector up front on the new hardtail...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think it's pretty well regarded, but I've never tried it myself. I've used Ikons for that requirement for the last decade+.
My thought was it's like an Ikon but now with Cornering Knobs (TM)!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Tried it with a Minion up front.
It is fast and has surprisingly good climbing and braking traction.
Unfortunately with the small side knobs it can not hang with the Minion in the corners and the rear was always stepping out. Total miss-match balance wise. As well it could not punch through fall and spring trail litter like leaves and pine straw as well as the Minion. I ended up with a Dissector in the rear that I like a lot.

Now, a Dissector up front with a Rekon in back I think would be a pretty good fast trail setup.

Bike was a 135/150 29r

Both the Rekon and the Dissector need bigger stouter side knobs IMNSHO

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hm I had been strongly considering dissector/rekon or dissector/dissector for upcoming hardtail build...

And just got a backup set of 27.5 wheels I was gonna mount with faster trail tires for the F/S, too.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
My wife's bike came dissector/rekon. It was ok. The rekon has like pretty crap climbing traction on roots or rocks, I'm sure if you live in a place where you just winch up fire roads and ride the fun stuff down they're great. Now shes happy about her DHF/dissector combo except for how much better my DHR/WTB Trailboss high grip rolls faster and still climbs better.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think on the new hardtail I am building I might go Dissector front and use an Aggressor I have out back