Quantcast

No spring tension left in X9 ... help?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I didn't want to hijack cheetaprowler's thread, but we seem to be having the same problem. I'm running a X9 and since two days there is hardly any tension in the cage spring, in fact, it seems to be working backwards, as in it pulls the cage forward instead of back. Is there a way to remove the cage on an X9 to clean the bearing (too much friction) and have look at the spring?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Do you guys not have stores or something? With people that fix bike problems?

Just seems odd going on the internet to ask how to fix a problem on a bike like that.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
you need to 1) preload the spring, kinda like a pull cord on a small motor, if ou know what im talking about. to do this; remove the little pin on the cage near the main pivot, then spin the cage against the spring 1 full turn, and replac the pin.
2) check the chain length, it looks like cheetaprowler's chain was too short. if it is too short, the derailleur will continue to break

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
stores= Get it done, get it done right. Might just tell you how to do it without doing it so its free.

Internet= bunch of chimps sitting at a computer trying to fix a problem on a bike that is hundreds of miles away, without a picture of said problem and without all the information, giving advice to somebody that may or may not know how to fix it, but might ultimately lead to wrecking the deraileur more, followed by threads on why companies are assholes for not giving warranties on thier products.

But it could just be me.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Do you guys not have stores or something? With people that fix bike problems?

Just seems odd going on the internet to ask how to fix a problem on a bike like that.
This might be news to you, but some people do use the internets and forums like this to exchange information and knowledge so that they don't need to go to a store to ask some stoned bike mechanic a rather trivial question. And since i thought i might not be the only one running a X9 to have that problem, maybe, just maybe someone might be able to help me out.
I wasn't asking anyone to fix a problem for me, i was just asking about some info that i couldn't find on the sram site.
By the way, this is a good christian country over here, so we don't work on easter monday.
If your time is so damn valuable why do you even bother replying?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
you need to 1) preload the spring, kinda like a pull cord on a small motor, if ou know what im talking about. to do this; remove the little pin on the cage near the main pivot, then spin the cage against the spring 1 full turn, and replac the pin.
2) check the chain length, it looks like cheetaprowler's chain was too short. if it is too short, the derailleur will continue to break
That's what i'm talking about, thanks a lot. My chain is definitely not too long so i'll try removing the pin. :thumb:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Actually, if you read what i wrote, its more in your interest then not. Often information is posted that doesn't solve the problem, but can make it worse. In this case, there are probably a few things here that can get screwed up. Also, if you go and make mods on the deraileur, and it turns out it was in fact broken, the chances of you getting a deserved warranty go down because they have no idea if you buggered it up or not.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I don't want to mod the derailleur or anything, I just wanted to know if there is a way to do the normal maintenance work that i did all the time on old shimanos and campagnolos. I know it's possible on the XO, and since you can take apart pretty much anything on the X9 as well i thought i'd ask. (i should have mentioned that i don't have any warranty anyways since i bought the bike from france)