Quantcast

no wonder my cranks felt funny

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so for a while now, my cranks on my evil would get a little sloppy...say when you are preloading for a bunnyhop, one crank would dip down a bit, say 5 deg, so they weren't exactly 180 deg from each other. tightening them would help, but only for about 10 seconds.

i thought the issue was related to tightening the cranks w/o removing the self-extracting bolts, and gradually wearing down the splines of the arms themselves. it started to get really bad recently, so i decided to get a new set of crank arms via ebay.

they came in the mail friday, so i pull my old cranks (driveside first; replace the spider because the cranks i ran had a DH spider and chain ring spacing (can't believe i had the right tool)), and then i pull the non-drive side.

doh! now i know why they felt like crap. i'm surprised the thing just didn't fall off. good thing i just screw around w/ this bike on the street. last trail ride i did was w/ splat in nam in dec. so now it's off to bb searching.

driveside (what it should look like):

non-driveside (bad):

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
aye, it's an imp. i've got my eye on an ebay auction for the bb, so hopefully the pig will be back in action soon.

anyone need some XTR cranks?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I did a similar thing to a set of Octalink cranks... End of a trail, end of the day, and I came into a g-out fairly quickly. All of a sudden, both my cranks were facing the same direction.

They hadn't quite stripped that much, though... they had worked loose, and stripped off the last, oh, maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of the spline.

Glad you didn't get hurt! I can't believe that your non-drive side arm would even stay put long enough to get through a pedal stroke.