Quantcast

No Yellow for Lance....today

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Lance Armstrong will not wear the yellow jersey today, to honour the fact that Dave Zabriskie lost the jersey because of an accident yesterday.

That last happened in 1991, when Greg Lemond refused to take the jersey at first because Rolf Sörensen crashed, broke his collarbone and had to quit the race on the previous day.

Discovery Channel team rider George Hincapie told Cyclingnews' Tim Maloney, "Lance and the team felt that even though we might have won by one or two seconds, it was that close, it's not right to take the yellow jersey that way. So he's not going to wear it to honour that fact."

Although Armstrong will not wear the almost sacred maillot jaune, he will likely be fined (again) for improper attire.
Not a bad way to recognize what happened. If he holds on to it today, it would be cool for him to wear it tomorrow.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
DRB said:
Not a bad way to recognize what happened. If he holds on to it today, it would be cool for him to wear it tomorrow.
Now he is wearing it. He didn't start in it.

It's confirmed: at the official start of the stage, the race commissaire stopped the whole peloton to give Armstrong the opportunity to pull over the jersey.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Is it just me or does it seem like OLN loves Cheryl Crow..... or at least the announcers do.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance&prov=ap&type=lgns
Tour director Jean-Marie Leblanc got strict about the rule book, which states that the overall race leader ``must wear'' the yellow jersey.

``There was no negotiation,'' Armstrong said. ``Jean-Marie said: 'You don't start in the jersey, and you don't start tomorrow.'''

Before the stage, Armstrong wanted to follow an unofficial tradition by not donning the jersey.

``In light of the tradition of the last 30 or 40 years, no one really takes it if there is a crash'' involving the race leader, he said. ``We decided to leave it empty today.''

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
golgiaparatus said:
What is... Armstrong to Ullrich on day 1
:nuts:

Awesome!

and....on the whole Sheryl Crow topic..

I stood right next to her (last year) and didn't know who she was.
I thought she looked familiar though.
She's pretty dmn short. She comes up to my shoulder.