Quantcast

Noble Canyon/Lower trailhead gate

Aquaholic

Chimp
Jan 5, 2004
Noble Canyon
On saturday, one of the riders in our group was badly injured. We were in the lot at the lower trailhead, hanging out after our ride. We were waiting for the last remaining riders to come in.

Suddenly, there was a loud bang and the sound of someone obviously in pain.

Apparently, he had come around that last corner and was still pedaling hard. He failed to see that there was that bar across the gate. He slammed into it at full speed and endoed hard. His shoulder was dislocated. He was in a lot of pain and a trip to the hospital ensued.

I spoke to another rider yesterday who recanted a similar story , but with someone else.

I'm thinking that perhaps that lower bar should be painted in flourescent orange or yellow, or? It would only take a minute with a can of spray paint.

Just an idea, I hate to see/hear of this kind of thing happening at the end of an otherwise perfect ride.

I've seen a member of our group do the nearly same thing, since he was focusing on us, further down the trail, and only saw the bar at the last second he could have w/o nailing it full on.

I think your idea about the neon orange spray paint is a good one. They use that stuff on other things out there, all the time.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's a simple solution. There are a few more complicated ones I can think of, but the spray paint is easy to do. Yellow/black OSHA adhesive tape would work well, too.

MD

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What is that stupid bar there for anyway? I always get the urge to try and J-hop over it but I've lost a lot of j-hoppability since I sold my HT. Couldn't we just hacksaw the dang bar off, it doesn't really serve any purpose except to slow bikers down before they enter the parking lot, that and to trip horses I guess.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Kornphlake said:
it doesn't really serve any purpose except to slow bikers down before they enter the parking lot,
That's it...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Doubt it. There are plenty of ways to get around it, or just ride it from the top...it just serves to slow down people hauling butt towards the trailhead...

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
Kornphlake said:
it doesn't really serve any purpose except to slow bikers down before they enter the parking lot
Yo Dan, that is exactly why it is there. A lot of people forget that Noble Canyon Trail is a MULTI-USE trail, not a mtn bike trail. I feel bad for who plowed in to the bar, but c'mon, you gotta keep your eyes on the trail ahead of you and not down while you sprint to the gate. Anyways, I forwarded this incident to the Trails Ranger with the Descanso District.

mark@sdmba.com

Aquaholic

Chimp
Jan 5, 2004
Noble Canyon
I was really surprised that it happened to him. After riding with him that day, he was certainly a very strong, capable rider. He does endurance racing.

I think part of the problem is that when you round that last, sloped corner, the gate is obscured by a tree/bush. You don't really see it until you are almost on top of it.

That morning our group split up. His half headed straight up Pine Creek road (UGH!), we headed up "Extra Credit". So, his fate was sealed, he didn't know what was in store for him at the end of the day.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
BullittX said:
Yo Dan, that is exactly why it is there. A lot of people forget that Noble Canyon Trail is a MULTI-USE trail, not a mtn bike trail. I feel bad for who plowed in to the bar, but c'mon, you gotta keep your eyes on the trail ahead of you and not down while you sprint to the gate. Anyways, I forwarded this incident to the Trails Ranger with the Descanso District.

mark@sdmba.com
Sigh, I guessed that was the case I just got wrapped up in that group think behavior and wanted to destroy something. Maybe we could get rid of that bar and put in some more big rocks :devil:

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
Aquaholic said:
I think part of the problem is that when you round that last, sloped corner, the gate is obscured by a tree/bush. You don't really see it until you are almost on top of it.
But that is part of mtn biking, what about all the other blind corners, etc. on the trail? Do we do something about those too? Remember what happened on "Headbanger"? No, because you took a dirt nap. :devil:

My point is to not take the trail for granted, you and I both know what can happen.

mark@sdmba.com