Quantcast

Noble Canyon Trail Work Update

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
Due to the recent heavy rains, we are moving the trail work location to the burn zone on top of Noble Canyon
where we are in danger of losing sections of trail to erosion.

Saturday, November 6th.

Join SDMBA and the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew for trailwork on the eastern parts of
Indian Creek Trail off of Sunrise Highway in the Laguna Mountains. Meet at 8 am at
Pioneer Mail Picnic Area. After a brief safety meeting we will carpool in close to the trail work location.
As usual, bring sturdy shoes, a hat, gardening gloves, eye protection,
water and a snack. It may be chilly so dress appropriately.

From San Diego: Take I-8 East past Pine Valley to Sunrise Highway (S1) exit, go
North on Sunrise Hwy to mile marker 29.3 enter Pioneer Mail Picnic Area parking lot
on right.

From North County: Take SR-67 or SR-76 East to SR-78 through Julian to left (South)
on SR-79 to Sunrise Hwy, left (South) on Sunrise Hwy to mile marker 29.3, enter
Pioneer Mail Picnic Area parking lot on left.

map link http://www.lmva.org/HighwayMap.htm

RSVP to mark@sdmba.com.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Cool, I guess we'll shuttle the trail afterward then :eviltongu Does anybody want to meet me at the lower trailhead at say 7:15 to run a shuttle after working all morning?

Aquaholic

Chimp
Jan 5, 2004
Noble Canyon
Here's some pics so that you can get an idea of the amount of damage that the recent rains wreaked upon Indian Creek. What you can't really see is that people are now riding/hiking/horsing adjacent to the damaged area creating an even bigger mess.

As usual, these pics don't show the real scope of the damage. Please join us this weekend for repairs. Ride planned afterwards.

Mouse Jockey

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
San Diego
Kornphlake said:
Cool, I guess we'll shuttle the trail afterward then :eviltongu Does anybody want to meet me at the lower trailhead at say 7:15 to run a shuttle after working all morning?
That sounds like a good plan Danny Boy. How's the shock?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The shock's seen better days, but at least I have some rebound damping for the time being, it's still not adjustable like it's supposed to be, but at least I don't get bucked off ridding off curbs.

So I'll see ya at the lower trail head at quarte past 7 then?

Mouse Jockey

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
San Diego
Kornphlake said:
The shock's seen better days, but at least I have some rebound damping for the time being, it's still not adjustable like it's supposed to be, but at least I don't get bucked off ridding off curbs.

So I'll see ya at the lower trail head at quarte past 7 then?
I'll be there. Be forewarned I am notoriously known for being 15 minutes late on early morning rides. But I will try, really, really, REALLY hard to be there at 7:30..... :p

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd been planning on going...but something has come up. I'll still try to be there and can join in on your plan, Kornphlake, if I will be. I'll keep you posted.

MD

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Kornphlake said:
I guess we'll be riding in the rain too :thumb:
I thought that was one of the causes of trail damage :think:
Anyway, if anybody from the North County area is going and has room for one more gimme a PM.
Oh look I think I'm a monkey now.

Mouse Jockey

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
San Diego
Kornphlake said:
If it rains we'll all show up in 99 cent plastic ponchos from wal-mart. I guess we'll be riding in the rain too :thumb:

And Smoke?
Mark is this still on? Dan, I can ride with you elsewhere, doesn't sound fun working in smoke.

11/05/04

From the 11/05/04 SD Union-Tribune:
A series of prescribed burns will begin Saturday in the
Cleveland National Forest off Sunrise Highway
in the Mount Laguna area.
The U.S. Forest Service plans to burn 400 acres and smoke might
be visible as far south as Interstate 8, officials said.
For more information, contact Battalion Chief John Truett or
Chris Anderson at (619) 445-1042.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20041105-9999-7m5briefs.html

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Fvck, looks like I'm out. I'll have to work double-hard next time.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Mouse Jockey said:
And Smoke?
Mark is this still on? Dan, I can ride with you elsewhere, doesn't sound fun working in smoke.

11/05/04

From the 11/05/04 SD Union-Tribune:
A series of prescribed burns will begin Saturday in the
Cleveland National Forest off Sunrise Highway
in the Mount Laguna area.
The U.S. Forest Service plans to burn 400 acres and smoke might
be visible as far south as Interstate 8, officials said.
For more information, contact Battalion Chief John Truett or
Chris Anderson at (619) 445-1042.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20041105-9999-7m5briefs.html
If the forest service thinks we can work in smoke then I think I can ride in smoke... Or we could go ride somewhere else. I'm still planning on going to do trail mantinance unless that gets canceled, I won't have too much time to ride anywhere but noble or anderson, I'll need to be home by about 5:00 :(

Aquaholic

Chimp
Jan 5, 2004
Noble Canyon
Nice work....mates! Special thanks to IMBA reps Nat and Rachel. It was nice to have you involved. That group ride/helmet cam action down Noble was off the hook, can't wait to see the footage!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sorry I missed you all. Had to help a friend move; would have been much more rewarding to do my day's labor at Noble (and get some riding in!). Thanks.

MD

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Aquaholic said:
Nice work....mates! Special thanks to IMBA reps Nat and Rachel. It was nice to have you involved. That group ride/helmet cam action down Noble was off the hook, can't wait to see the footage!

Nice shot Steve, you actually got a picture of me working :D

I feel like we were able to do needed work that will actually improve the trail and make it more durable. Thanks also to the nice ranger whose name I can't remember, without him we wouldn't have been able to do any work at all.

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
SDMBA would like to thank all the volunteers who put in half a day of trail work re-habing a badly eroded section of Indian Creek Trail, thanks also to the IMBA Trail Care Crew of Nat and Rachel for their expertise and for helmet cam'ing our ride down Noble (can't wait to see it!)

And special thanks to Wilderness and Trails Ranger Dave Volgarino for all the work he and the Laguna Hotshots have put into re-habing our beloved trails in the Laguna Recreation Area, specifically Indian Creek, Big Laguna Trail and of course, Noble Canyon.

Hopefully by this time next year we will all be riding on an expanded Big Laguna Trail loop, approx. 8 miles in length. This will include some of the unmarked trails we have been using as well as some new singletrack connecting them together. You will also finally see much improved trail signs marking the trails and some new trailheads. :thumb:

mark@sdmba.com