Quantcast

Noble or yellah?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Standing up for what he thinks is right, or sissy girlie-man poopy-pants?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003044627_nogo7m.html

After the younger Watada enlisted, he was sent to officer-training school in Georgia. Watada said he supported the war at that time because he believed Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

"I had my doubts," he said. "But I felt like the president is our leader, and he won't betray our trust, and he would know what he was talking about, and let's give him the benefit of the doubt." Over the past year, his feeling changed as he read up on the war and became convinced that there was "intentional manipulation of intelligence" by the Bush administration.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think he is doing what he feels is right. He is an officer and is expected to lead. How can you lead troops if you don't agree with the cause?

I think he'll be hanged for it, but I support his decision.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jimmydean said:
I think he is doing what he feels is right. He is an officer and is expected to lead. How can you lead troops if you don't agree with the cause?

I think he'll be hanged for it, but I support his decision.

No problem, simply reimburse the governement for his training and call it a day.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
N8 said:
No problem, simply reimburse the governement for his training and call it a day.
If he is required to serve until Dec. '06 and opts out, he is billed for it. That how it works, or at least that's my understanding. Same as if you go through ROTC and the military pays for your school. You have to fulfill your contract, or your billed for it.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
"I think they will do their best to make an example of me," Watada said.

nah, really????
more of an example than the dog handler that got *gasp* hard labor?

This guy will probably get nailed, while others who 'followed' orders get off fairly easy, respectively.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Coward.
His wife probably slept around while he was out training, and instead of blaming her, is blasting the system. Women just do these kinds of things buddy. Get used to it. Especially officers' wives.
He'll probably take her back too. :nonono:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
BurlyShirley said:
Coward.
His wife probably slept around while he was out training, and instead of blaming her, is blasting the system. Women just do these kinds of things buddy. Get used to it. Especially officers' wives.
He'll probably take her back too. :nonono:
You want to be a woman don't you? It all makes sense now.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
fluff said:
You want to be a woman don't you? It all makes sense now.
Yeah right. Getting a job as a used car salesman is much easier than a sex change, and Id accomplish the same thing.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Well they denied his defenses.

Lt. Watada missed movement because he believed the order to be unlawful and the judge has denied the defense motion to introduce evidence as to why this order is unlawful.

So regardless of the fact that he was led to enlist through fraudulent means, and regardless of the fact that a soldier is required to obey only lawful orders, in this case his only choice was to follow orders and the lawfulness of said order may not be considered.

Did anyone expect a military judge to rule otherwise?

Read it and weep.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=watada17m&date=20070117&query=watada

The PDFs are pretty interesting too. They show the reasoning behind the judge's decisions.

It is interesting that the documents show that while Congress cannot pass a law abridging the right of free speech, but the courts can decide otherwise. But for some reason the court is not entitled to consider the legality of the Iraq war. If I understand this correctly, they can decide when it is OK to infringe on the rights of the people, but they cannot even consider that another branch of of government may be infringing upon the rights of another sovereign nation.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
watada's an idiot.
he's supposed to defend democracy & freedom, not enjoy it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you haven't figured out that by signing up in the US military the chances of you being cynically used by civilian leadership for political gain are pretty high, you didn't pay very much attention in school.

That, or you bought into the army's bs tv spots. I love the one running about the reserves right now (They train me here, until they need me! What a deal!)

RenegadeRick

If he had any real evidence, then he could present it to the media and have a flawless victory. If it was convincing, well, he'd be killed long before that.
You believe the media is impartial and not beholden to government interests?

Come on now...

They won't even run the story of them court-martialing this "coward."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
You believe the media is impartial and not beholden to government interests?
you mean they way they suck up with this:
RR's article said:
Watada's court-martial comes as the Bush administration seeks to bolster flagging public support for a plan to send more troops to Iraq.
talk about your non-sequiturs; might as well report on the country's cold-snap in terms of a "chill wind blowing from this administration"

i especially like how the Times writes: "Watada's guilt or innocence will be determined by a panel of at least five Army officers."

innocence is never determined

RenegadeRick

i especially like how the Times writes: "Watada's guilt or innocence will be determined by a panel of at least five Army officers."

innocence is never determined
I agree innocence is never determined. And it certainly won't be in this case with five officers making the determination.

:poster_oops:

Did he miss movement? Yes.
Did he say things publicly that were critical of the administration? Yes.

Guilty as charged.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
RR,

The point I was making was, if he had no FACTS, then STFU and do your job.

Did Iraq have WMDs at the time of invasion? Doubtful, doesn't change anything tho.