Quantcast

Noise Cancelling Headphones- fill me in nerds

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
The in-ear style coupled with the noise canceling electromicals will do a great job at killing ambient noise. The only thing I can think of is long term comfort. Do you intend to wear these for hours at a time? If so, and this is personal preference, I like the over the ear kind.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It'll be for flights from Japan to Australia, Europe and probably America at some point, so yeah I will have them on for long periods of time. The airlines I fly usually have AVOD and I'm sick of not being able to hear the movies properly. I take pills on planes to sleep so not too worried about having them in my lug-holes as consciousness ebbs.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In-ear with a good fit (many come with a variety of canal fit pieces) does a good enough job passively canceling noise plus it doesn't taint the signal with processing and you'll get a cheaper headphone that price as you'll have to pay for the noise cancellation electronics. Go with a better brand like Shure or Superears instead Sony.

Check out this page for more info:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headphone-type/in-ear-monitor-type/

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
In-ear with a good fit (many come with a variety of canal fit pieces) does a good enough job passively canceling noise plus it doesn't taint the signal with processing and you'll get a cheaper headphone that price as you'll have to pay for the noise cancellation electronics. Go with a better brand like Shure or Superears instead Sony.

Check out this page for more info:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headphone-type/in-ear-monitor-type/
Do you mean Ultimate Ears not Super Ears? I've heard Shure are probably the best but unfortunately a little more yen than I'm willing to pay, even for entry level. Interesting article though mate, cheers.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I just bought some Shure E2's for stage monitoring and I used them on a couple flights. They work amazingly well for the price and come with many different inserts and a 2 year warranty.

The E2's are recently discontinued, if you can find them you'll get a good deal. I got mine for $45.

Also known as Shure SCL2 (newer version).

Shure E2c and SCL2c are the consumer versions, same thing but no case is included.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I think so mate, although there is Japan Amazon so that might be a fly in the ointment. Just looked at all my usual Japanese gadgetry sites and couldn't see those ones anywhere although the Shure web-site for Japan suggests they're sold here.
Edit- finally found a pair, about $95 shipped I'd guess
And just for you mate, in case you ever wondered how much drums are in Japan.
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/wax/a5c9a5e9a5.html
(in Japanese but easily navigable)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
All right nerds I've pulled the pin after my good friend Andrew Hitler (such a nice boy my mum says) recommended them.

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
just be careful if you buy cheap ones, because they can be painful if you keep them in too long.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
just be careful if you buy cheap ones, because they can be painful if you keep them in too long.
In-ear with bad fit at any price can cause comfort problems. Some people are sensitive and refused to wear any...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I got a pair of the Bose on ear headphones for xmas. Work awesome on flights. They eliminate the engine drone but don't cancel out voices so conversation is actually much clearer. Also sound great when playing music.
I'm sorry for you:busted:

Next time just buy some cheap headphones and burn your money, at least you'll keep warm :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
they are ok, but not as good as the Shure E2Cs. the cord in particular is super-flimsy, and the fit isn't as good.
I'm the other way around. I like the fit of the Ultimate Ears way better. No matter what I did with the Shure's they hurt like hell after about an hour...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's too late for vb, but here's a NYTimes article from 2007 in which noise cancelling headphones were reviewed:

http://download.yousendit.com/375DE25665287275

Cliffs Notes: Panasonic and Audio Technica models equalled the performance of the Bose for 1/3-1/2 the price. i have the Audio Technica ones and love 'em. about $125.

(i had noise cancelling Sony earbuds as well as Etymotic ER-6 non-i earbuds and didn't like the sound or feel of either.)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
it's too late for vb, but here's a NYTimes article from 2007 in which noise cancelling headphones were reviewed:

http://download.yousendit.com/375DE25665287275

Cliffs Notes: Panasonic and Audio Technica models equalled the performance of the Bose for 1/3-1/2 the price. i have the Audio Technica ones and love 'em. about $125.

(i had noise cancelling Sony earbuds as well as Etymotic ER-6 non-i earbuds and didn't like the sound or feel of either.)
Actually haven't bought anything yet Toshi, just needed an excuse to post that daft pic.:busted:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I tried a whole bunch in a store before my recent round the world trip and was basically very disappointed with them all.

In the end I dropped a few bucks on some regular foam earplugs. Worked great.

I figure if I want quiet on a flight, I want quiet, not music. If I want music I just turn it up my regular headphones a little louder.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Actually haven't bought anything yet Toshi, just needed an excuse to post that daft pic.:busted:
did you read the article to which i linked? it's quite good, and was what inspired me to jump back into the fray after having been so disappointed by the earbuds in the past.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I have the Bose over the ear ones. Yeah, they're expensive, but I travel a lot for work and the company paid for half of it. Works great on the planes - especially when you're sitting there for 10-12 hours.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I figure if I want quiet on a flight, I want quiet, not music. If I want music I just turn it up my regular headphones a little louder.
With the buds, though, you can listen to very quiet music and still have ambient noise blocked.

I've got a set of Shures that I'm very happy with after listening to probably half a dozen different sets of buds.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hey,

Rather than start another thread, I'll ask here:

Anyone got any experience with Shure se210? I have a pair of E2Cs, but now I've got intermittent contact in one ear, and I'm considering them toast. I suspect it was my fault, I accidentally slammed them in the armrest glove compartment in the car. I glued the ear bit back on and they worked great for over 1.5 yrs, but now the contact has just gone bad. Anyhoo....

Back to the SE210s, they seem to be of similar size to the E2Cs, which is something I like, and I've found them on ebay for under $100 Can. Opinions?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The in-ear style coupled with the noise canceling electromicals will do a great job at killing ambient noise. The only thing I can think of is long term comfort. Do you intend to wear these for hours at a time? If so, and this is personal preference, I like the over the ear kind.
I bought my first pair of in-ear phones the other week. El-cheapo sans noise cancelling obviously but was surprised at how comfortable they were and how much noise was blocked due to the simple act of having that little piece of rubber deeply inserted........
I see a decent pair in my future.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
try contacting Shure to see if you can get a warranty replacement...i think it's a 2 year deal...i've been successful twice.
Wow, just got off the phone with Shure. What an amazing policy! Apparently, there's a flat rate to repair them. $79. Since they're irreparable, they'll just replace 'em. New headphones I paid $250 Can for. Pretty sweet.

One gripe, is that they only have a distributor in Canada that doesn't do repairs, just warranty replacements. So, I've got the ship them to the US, and the guy said he couldn't say when I'd get them back. But still, not bad I guess...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Well, got 'em back. They've replaced my busted set with a brand new set of SCL3s. They seem to be identical to my old E3Cs. I only finally got around to sending them in about 2 weeks ago. Not a bad turnaround at all.

I'm a satisfied customer.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I lost my E2 buds on the plane awhile back, so a few months ago I picked up a pair of the SLC3's off Musician's Friend for $60. (the white ones were steeply discounted, go figure..).

Amazing for rehearsal and studio work. They effectively kill the drum sound in the room and let me hear (finally) wtf is going on in the mix.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've got a set of E500 phones, I bought them in Scotland as I was told they were active noise cancelling headphones. How dumb am I? All they are is a Chinese made set of headphones that cost the earth and come with a dodgy nicrophone that you throw out.

I'm sure as sh1t never buying Shure again.

Oh the insulation is also cracking on the outside of the wire where it has to bend tightly to wrap around your ear. Mine are two years old and would be used on average twice a week, not good for a product that retailed for $800 in Aus.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got a set of E500 phones, I bought them in Scotland as I was told they were active noise cancelling headphones. How dumb am I? All they are is a Chinese made set of headphones that cost the earth and come with a dodgy nicrophone that you throw out.

Oh the insulation is also cracking on the outside of the wire where it has to bend tightly to wrap around your ear. Mine are two years old and would be used on average twice a week, not good for a product that retailed for $800 in Aus.
Send them back and they'll replace them under warranty. If the warranty has expired, they'll replace them for $80.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I lost my E2 buds on the plane awhile back, so a few months ago I picked up a pair of the SLC3's off Musician's Friend for $60. (the white ones were steeply discounted, go figure..).

Amazing for rehearsal and studio work. They effectively kill the drum sound in the room and let me hear (finally) wtf is going on in the mix.
That's a crazy deal. When I bought my first pair they were ridiculously expensive. About triple what you paid. I could handle wearing white ones for a third the price.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

you realize that all true noise-canceling (as opposed to isolating) earphones have an external mic, right? you need that to invert the signal and create destructive interference.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
you realize that all true noise-canceling (as opposed to isolating) earphones have an external mic, right? you need that to invert the signal and create destructive interference.
Yup sure do, mine are passive, the lovely folk at Shure thought their headphones blocked so much noise that you would need a mic so you could hear people in a conversation. It just mutes the music and turns the mic on.

I still can't work out why race cars don't use noise cancelling devices in the cabin. It would weigh very little, make the car a nicer place to be and allow you to tune out(or in) certain frequencies in to make finding random noises much easier to find.