Quantcast

Noise Cancelling Headphones?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
We had a death in the family so I need to travel out to Utah. I was wondering about the noise cancelling headphones for the trip. A friend got a pair, the sony kind, they seem to emit a white noise, that you can hear. I see some for 30 dollars, are these as effective as say the 300 dollar bose headphones? thanks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
mack said:
We had a death in the family so I need to travel out to Utah. I was wondering about the noise cancelling headphones for the trip. A friend got a pair, the sony kind, they seem to emit a white noise, that you can hear. I see some for 30 dollars, are these as effective as say the 300 dollar bose headphones? thanks.
Nice! This post is very well composed. :thumb:

Sorry, but I can't help you with the headphone question. ;)

-S.S.-

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
<biased opinion>

Do it right the first time. Get some Etymotic ER-4P headphones (or 4S if you plan to use a headphone amp). Rather than using electronics to cancel noise, they are essentially earplugs with very high quality components. They're even made in the USA. Depending on which tips you use, they're rated up to 38db.
Compared to the electronic kind that you're considering, these will be lighter, simpler, less flashy, and won't need batteries.

</biased opinion>

I really don't know if you've got that kind of cash lying around. They're around $200 on eBay. If I had not dropped the dough for the Etymotics, I would have gotten some Sony earbuds that have deeper insertion. Generically, they're called canalphones. They sit deeper in your ear and have several sizes of soft tips to cancel noise the old-fashioned way.

This is what I'm talking about.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Earplugs dont work for me, they always fall out and make my ear all sore for some reason.

This site seemed to be very helpfull actually.

www.cnet.com

cool site.

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
Fair enough. I usually have trouble with cheap earbuds, but the flanged soft rubber tips of the Etymotics work for me. They also come with the squishy memory foam tips that regular earplugs are made from.
CNET is ok, but as you mentioned, a lot of headphone selection comes down to personal preference. I can't remember any of the sites, but there are actually a good number of HiFi forums out there. I'm sure you could find a few to search for noise cancellation info.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
etys are very nice on all accounts, but pretty spendy too.

i had some sonys (NCS5?) which worked well and felt pretty good, but they were stolen at work. the replacement sonys i got don't sound nearly as good, and they are not comfortable at all either. they are the NCS20 model.

however, the way they work (destructive interference) does work well. it makes a noticeable difference on a plane or subway.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I have a pair of sennehiser NC headphones that have made it through about a dozen intercontinental flights in one piece.

Cost me about $150 and they're well worth it. Not as nice as the bose that you get in business class, but when you're in coach (or on a train) they rock.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i had the sony noise cancelling earbuds. they sucked. they did reduce outside noise but introduced their own noise into the mix. this noise was quieter, yes, but just as annoying since it was electronic and regular, a slight hiss

rvlacich said:
<biased opinion>

Do it right the first time. Get some Etymotic ER-4P headphones (or 4S if you plan to use a headphone amp). Rather than using electronics to cancel noise, they are essentially earplugs with very high quality components. They're even made in the USA. Depending on which tips you use, they're rated up to 38db.
Compared to the electronic kind that you're considering, these will be lighter, simpler, less flashy, and won't need batteries.

</biased opinion>

I really don't know if you've got that kind of cash lying around. They're around $200 on eBay. If I had not dropped the dough for the Etymotics, I would have gotten some Sony earbuds that have deeper insertion. Generically, they're called canalphones. They sit deeper in your ear and have several sizes of soft tips to cancel noise the old-fashioned way.

This is what I'm talking about.
2nd that on the etys... I have a pair of e4p's and they're really quite incredible for isolating noise - I use the foam ends. The er6's are the cheaper option from etymotic.

Another one you may want to look at are the Shure e3c's - similar concept as the Etys (e2's are the cheaper Shure option here).

My wife is an acoustic engineer and she prefers what she considers "the more elegant solution" of noise-isolation vs. noise-cancelling methods.