Quantcast

Nokian NBX - anyone use them?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Interested to know about how they hook up (only valuable if I know where/the terrain you ride), how they hold up, and how big they are (do they run true to size).

BillT

Monkey
I had a set of 2.0 NBX Lights on my Blur and the best things I can about them are that they are light, have good durability, and roll decently. They don't hook up well, run small, and are a pain to get on and off the rim. I have since switched to Kenda Nevegal/Blue Grooves and like them much, much more.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i run a 2.3 for a front tire on my single speed. and its mostly just used for commuting and urban use.
they're light. but they have no knobs. nokian's attempt at a round tire

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I had a set of wire bead 2.1's which came stock on my Kona. I didn't care for them. Too much slippage.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
sanjuro said:
I had a set of wire bead 2.1's which came stock on my Kona. I didn't care for them. Too much slippage.
too much slippage...or not enough tread to damage the rain forest you are constantly riding in?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I had great luck with them as a front tire. Didn't roll as well as a Conti though. I'd buy again, for a front tire here in the NE.

~mud~

Chimp
May 6, 2006
upstate NY
You already know my thoughts... I'm about to order my third set. Anyway, a couple more points from someone pounding the same roots, rock, mud, oh and roots...

• Weight: 2.3 non-UST Kevlar at about 750g.. not bad, but I'd rather spend the money and save the weight with a stiffer, lighter wheelset.
  • Traction: rolls well with center tread. Grips well on wet and knobs don't roll in turns. Sheds mud well with same open pattern design (we all know northeast clay is a challenge for any tire)
  • Wear: I've pulled a full season or more (including winter) on each set, however they will wear quicker with use on tarmac.
  • Durability: In three seasons I have not had a flat on trail, and Grace is not my middle name. Never had a lug tear off. (running 28 to 32psi)
  • Cost: high side, but coming down of late and comparable to Kenda and Panaracer.

Looking at the whole package, they work for me and work well for our terrain. Tires are very much personal preference. Try what you can and Ebay what you don't like. Good luck.