Quantcast

Nokon Cables

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I came across these cables reading Cervelo's blog on their attempt to build a sub 10lbs. road bike. They used Nokon cables for their light weight. I not only want them for that, but also because they are supposed to work better, and I will be able to run my shift cables under the bar tape like a proper shifter (campy and sram). This will enable me to save money, and not switch to Sram. The stupid cables sticking out erk me, that bad. So whats the story? Has anyone used them? What is your perception? I am also thinking of upgrading my DH bike too if it works well on the roadie. For those that have no idea what I am talking about scope this link.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4107

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've used them on my MTB and I hate them, at least for MTB use. The housing consists of a bunch of a little ferrules that act a lot like the vertebrae in your spine. The problem is as the housing flexes they rub against each other and basically wear into each other. The affective housing length continually decreases so you have to continually keep adjusting the derailleur cable to compensate. A full suspension mountain bike is really the worst case scenario with several sections having to constantly flex. The Nokons should work better on a road bike that does not deal with as much filth or have to sustain repeated motion but I still wouldn't recommend them. I would keep them far far away from your DH bike.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
They're a downgrade for your shifters (performance, feel suffer in the name of "longevity"), and an upgrade for your brakes (absolutely 0 compression).

Setup isn't as rough as people make it out to be.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I see. Doesn't sound like a very good upgrade. I would probably be better off going with Force, with Red shifters, for I hate simulated carbon fiber, or simulated anything for that matter. I do however wonder why the pros are using them considering they are an inferior product. Also it looks like I could loop my cables under the tape with my conventional cables. Here is another link I found.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2004/tech/articles/6575.0.html

Are there any other better alternative cables? I was looking at the DuPont Power Cordz as well. I am just needing to replace my cables, and looking for an upgrade, over conventional.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I see. Doesn't sound like a very good upgrade. I would probably be better off going with Force, with Red shifters, for I hate simulated carbon fiber, or simulated anything for that matter. I do however wonder why the pros are using them considering they are an inferior product. Also it looks like I could loop my cables under the tape with my conventional cables. Here is another link I found.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2004/tech/articles/6575.0.html

Are there any other better alternative cables? I was looking at the DuPont Power Cordz as well. I am just needing to replace my cables, and looking for an upgrade, over conventional.

they are probably a good system for someone who price is not an issue and who can hand their bike to a mechanic after every ride.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
they are probably a good system for someone who price is not an issue and who can hand their bike to a mechanic after every ride.
So I should probably just keep it conventional, and switch to SRAM like I initially planned. I really wish Shimano would redesign their shifters. I actually like my Ultegra. First Shimano product I can say that about.

Edit: I wish I didn't hate the cables sticking out so much. It just erks the hell out of me.

I could live with that.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I have...it was a Kuota Kalibur with an Easton TT bar...ridden by the guy in the middle -

luckily, Kuota is one of the few manufacturers that runs conduit through the frame.