Votes: 49 57.6%
  • The Way It Should Be.

Votes: 36 42.4%

• Total voters

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
the real idiocy is that SC doesn't have 1.5 HT on the VP-Free or the Nomad.

nomad + 1.5 Lyrik = :banana:

vp free + 1.5 totem = :banana: :banana:

Guess they just want to encourage customers to buy Iron Horse, Turner HL, and Intense.

:banghead:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
You're worried about cost of the Intense? I think that's what he meant by "and more".
Why would you want to pay more to have a bike that has a straight top tube like any other?
I can't believe this is still something worth starting a thread over. The hump is the shape of new SC bikes, get used to it...

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
6.6. has a shorter wheel base. I think it's pretty close in price right now. Didn't SC go up for 2007?
And what other SC bike has a top tube like the Nomad?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Not only is the 6.6 not humped out, it has way better geometry. Lower BB, shorter WB, longer TT, shorter stays etc. Much better bike.

All the people I know who have gone to Nomads from Blurs seem to love them but all the people I know who have gone to Nomads from Enduros or DH bikes don't like the way they ride for the most part. Basically former XC types love the bike because to them it's the first long-legged bike they've owned and it pedals allright. But for people who know what a good solid freeride bike should handle like the Nomad is sort of funky.

I couldn't agree more about the top tube shape being silly, I've been an opponent of it since the first spy shots about a year ago or so.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I, for one, am shocked and appaled at the santa cruz nomad. So much potential in a bike, tragically thrown away. I have taken it upon myself to start a petition. If enough people vote, perhaps santa cruz will fix the nomad.

So here's the vote...
...you can't be serious.

If you are this is hilarious.

The "hump" on the Nomad is NECESSARY.

Where do you think all the water is stored?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I love my Nomad, though that AVY mod is looking right for freeride...

What's the price on one of those Avy shocks with the Ti spring? that's just sexy.

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
2 Frorider: you should get out more and read other forums. It's already known elsewhere on the web that both the VP Free and Nomad will be coming with 1.5" headtubes. The VP Free from October, the Nomad sometime after that :biggrin:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
they should rename it the quasi moto.

edit: the name was already used by titus as i thought. oh well.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Interesting points. But remember the Nomad is an XC/All-Mtn/Freeride bike, not JUST a freeride bike. One thing I've noticed when threads like these pop up is that when folks start talking about geometry they tend to throw it in just ONE category. You also hear of the XC types complaining that it's too FR-ish. What do you do? I think SC did a great job trying to cover them all. Plus I'm one of those riders who tend to just ride and get used to the frame geo vs. "I need the HA to be exactly this" type of mentality.

I love the looks of the Intense too, but could get a better deal on the Nomad. The bike kills it, and is tons of fun. WORD b1tches! :cheers:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I love my Nomad, though that AVY mod is looking right for freeride...

What's the price on one of those Avy shocks with the Ti spring? that's just sexy.
Well Ti springs are never cheap...like what? $220 or so? And Avy's aren't that cheap either, but the beauty about this mod is that shock came off an older, retired frame. So it was already paid for!

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Ha, I looked at the two nomads for about 2 full minutes trying to find out what the difference was, and then I decided to read what people wrote. I don't know how I overlooked it. Anyway, I think they are fine just how they are. Plus the hump gives them a little more personality, and makes them stand out.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet chop job!

I'm a biased SCB whore but if they did what you suggest you would probably need a remote resevoir or a taller head tube to run a DHX, Rocco, etc. (Try that chop job on a pic with a DHX air and you'll see what I mean.) Also, the top tube would probably need to be super thick guage and thus heavier. The hump is obviously an aesthetic thing in many ways but it does have some shock fit and structural purposes, and among other things it allows the use of thinner (i.e., lighter) tubing.

And love or hate how it looks, when I ride my friends' nomads, jackals, and V10s, the hump doesn't interfere with my standover, it is pretty far forward. That's not easy to see until you swing a leg over one and realize it's not a problem.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Duly noted.

What's the price on that thing compared to a Nomad?
Actually if you get the DHX option on the Nomad they are actually th same price, roughly in the 1900 dollar range for frame only. I rode the 6.6 extensively and I must say though I prefer the Nomad. It gives a more lively ride than the 6.6. At 1900 dollars though that makes it the second most expensive frame in the SC quiver after the v10 which I find is a real stick in the a$$. Its even more expensive than the VPFree. YOu can get a VPFree with Ti Coil dhx cheaper than you can get a Nomad with DHX air. Something's wrong with that formula.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Same ol same ol.
Working riding drinking. Todtnau in a few weeks and still a couple races to come, including the IXS cups finals in BWB so no need to feel sorry for me being stuck in bloody Europe.
Whats up in Cali? Is it that bad that you need to head back to the motherland for a few weeks mate? :D

To stay ontopic; The straight top tube on the Nomad sucks.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
goin well mate... life is good.. ridin lots... heaps of local rides, a 35km shuttle (90% dh - tame, not steep) just a good gradual trail on the evil doc... got the new 07 talas 36rc2... gonna set it up on the nomad, but for now shes on the evil... been on the big bike a bit, but i m definately missing the chairlifts of europe - hermany for herman.. been out to downieville about 6 or 7 times... nice ride on the big bike (15 miles total) but about a mile or 2 of pushin...

headin to oz in 3 or so weeks... gonna ride with some mates... lookin forward to that and some crook antics... buds, beers and bourbon feast... all in all life is decent... can t complain mate... glad to hear ya doin well... pm me when ya head out to CA... say hello to steve o, ollie et al...

set some random euros on fire for me mate :)

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Good to hear man, good to hear.
We raised all kinds of hell a couple weeks ago in Morzine.
I bet theyre glad that were not coming back for a year or so. :biggrin:
You would have been proud...

You can still expect that PM mate, as soon as my accountant gives me the green light :cheers:

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
Not only is the 6.6 not humped out, it has way better geometry. Lower BB, shorter WB, longer TT, shorter stays etc. Much better bike.

All the people I know who have gone to Nomads from Blurs seem to love them but all the people I know who have gone to Nomads from Enduros or DH bikes don't like the way they ride for the most part. Basically former XC types love the bike because to them it's the first long-legged bike they've owned and it pedals allright. But for people who know what a good solid freeride bike should handle like the Nomad is sort of funky.

I couldn't agree more about the top tube shape being silly, I've been an opponent of it since the first spy shots about a year ago or so.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

I ride mostly DH and FR, but I dont' complain about going on the occasional XC jaunt. The 6.6 felt way more XC, and blew through its travel relatively quickly. The Nomad's geometry lends more to the DH/FR side of things. It is more steady at high speeds, not too twitchy on turns (like the 6.6), and takes things like a champ.

I took a long, hard look between the two when I was looking for a new bike, and I got to ride both of them, relatively same build, on the same trail. If you're a bit more on the XC side of things, you should go for the 6.6. But if you want something a bit more on the DH side of things, Nomad all the way baby!!!:happydance: