Quantcast

non bike related : go jump off a cliff

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
a couple of friends had been telling me about this cool place called Emerald Pools in Grass Valley. if you like to swim and jump off things you should check this place out. it's a little bit of a hike to get out there but it's worth it.

some pics:

apparently this is called a flying squirrel:

nice form

it's either the north or south fork of the yuba river where it cuts through this canyon with some really deep pools. there's bigger stuff around there that i didn't get pics of. the biggest someone went out of the people I was with was probably about 70 feet. there's bigger stuff there too.

take 80, get off at hwy 20, drive down 20 a little ways and take a road on your right, drive down that a bit, get out of your car and hike around and you should find it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah they pull a body out of that place about every other year or so.

Funny how you didn't mention the temperature of the water. I've got a pic of a friend of mine doing a gaynor off of the biggest one there. I swear he's got a soft spot on his skull from that one.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i didn't mind it at all, but cold water doesn't really bother me. Everyone we went with, except the 10 week old baby, went for a swim and enjoyed it. slightly colder than tahoe in june.

kidwoo: how big is "the biggest one there"? The biggest we checked out was estimated at around 80 feet but the water didn't look anywhere deep enough to be tossing yourself off of that. Around 40 feet was the biggest I would go off of. yourself?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe it's started to warm up a bit. It was painful cold last time I was out there. The shallower section by the end of the pool is a little warmer obviously.

We were guessing about 70 feet on the biggie. This would be the most upstream one on the left hand side (facing downstream). It's kind of sketchy to get to because of the trees and the slope of the ground you have to climb down to get to it. I did it once and it hurt my ears pretty badly.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
kidwoo said:
Maybe it's started to warm up a bit. It was painful cold last time I was out there. The shallower section by the end of the pool is a little warmer obviously.

We were guessing about 70 feet on the biggie. This would be the most upstream one on the left hand side (facing downstream). It's kind of sketchy to get to because of the trees and the slope of the ground you have to climb down to get to it. I did it once and it hurt my ears pretty badly.
yeah, that's the one that my buddy Cody jumped off of. He said it was easy but he got smacked around a bit on the landing. They were looking at the one at that same pool but just a bit farther down stream and facing up stream (if that makes any sense). A story about a girl smacking her head wide open just from landing in the water leaning back and blood going everywhere was enough to talk everyone out of that.

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
I've been many times. That place is cool.
It is also dangerous. Like kidwoo said many bodies have been pulled out of there.
I live near the pools and have similar diving and swimming area a couple of blocks down my street.
This way better than a public pool :)
Here's a few photos.
This is looking at rock you jump off of. It's about 25'

This is looking down from the rock.