Quantcast

Non bike related - tell me about electric vs gas dryers

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
We are replacing our washer and dryer and also relocating them in the garage to make room for me to build a work bench. Score.

We are debating getting a gas dryer because we've heard they are more efficient. But converting to gas would require us to do some extra plumbing to get a gas line through the wall where we are moving them to. Would it be worth the trouble / costs to do that? Or would keeping electric be a better idea? Lets hear your thoughts.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
if you already have the plumbing... then its no question. gas dryer wins.

if you dont. then you have to do the math. its very relative.

how long will it take to offset the plumbing costs... depends on your cost per kw, cost per btu and cycles per week.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Disregarding installation/sunk costs, NG is about half the price of electricity per unit of energy in Seattle. You should do the math with your utility rates, but I imagine it'd be the same or even cheaper.

In other words, I'd go with the NG dryer. I plan to do so when I build a house, for these very reasons.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Gas. If I had thought it out better, I would have converted to NG. When we replace our current one, we will go NG.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Went to Lowes yesterday and dropped some serious coin. Ended up buying a Kitchen Aid refrigerator. Counter depth, French doors, internal water dispenser, etc. They had a deal where depending on how much you spend, you get a lowes Visa card. Ours ended up with about $600 back to us. Rad.

Also bought Electrolux washer and gas dryer. Putting relocating the appliances in the garage on hold until the water heater goes (converting to tankless after that). So getting a gas line to the new dryer will be very easy/cheap.

Everything gets delivered on the 6th. Pretty stoked to get rid of our 23 year old fridge and 10+ year old washer/dryer.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Remember if it still works you can sell it. I have sold old appliances and even if you do not get that much it great having somebody lift it out of the house.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Haha true. We are going to sell our old washer and dryer for sure. The fridge is a pile and is limping as is. We are just going to have Lowes take it away.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
Went to Lowes yesterday and dropped some serious coin. Ended up buying a Kitchen Aid refrigerator. Counter depth.
I'd say you did on the frig alone. I opted to cut out the studs and re-frame behind the frig recess it and gained the 4" to make it flush after seeing the 2k plus price on counter depth models.

Using gas for heat, water, dryer, stove, fireplace, and outside grill here.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I bought a LG counter depth at a normal price. Only problem is the the way the doors open up requires way too much space on the side of the fridge compared to how sub zero doors open up that I might as well could have purchased a fridge with normal dimensions.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
gas driers are so much faster than electric. my parents have a fancy ass maytag or something that is electric. thing used to take 2 hours to dry a load of jeans and t-shirts. the house i bought came with a gas dryer that's about 25 years old and it will dry nearly any load in 45 minutes...

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Also bought Electrolux washer and gas dryer.
Good pick. We read every single review we could find and talked to everyone we knew before buying a washer/dryer combo, but there wasn't alot of info on the electrolux stuff. Took a gamble (the Lowes deal was awesome) and have been extremely pleased with our pair. About 1 year old now and still kicking ass. Listen to the cleaning instructions on the washer though... it really makes a huge difference.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Good pick. We read every single review we could find and talked to everyone we knew before buying a washer/dryer combo, but there wasn't alot of info on the electrolux stuff. Took a gamble (the Lowes deal was awesome) and have been extremely pleased with our pair. About 1 year old now and still kicking ass. Listen to the cleaning instructions on the washer though... it really makes a huge difference.
And per the appliance repair guy - do *not* use regular detergent in these...