Quantcast

Non-ferrous cables?

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I was curious if there is a non-ferrous shift cable available.

Something like Aramid or Spectra - along those lines. I ask only because I really hate cable stretch and would like to avoid having to adjust my derailleurs every two weeks.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
We tried a custom rig for a customer who just wanted to see if it were possible. We used GoreTex Cable housings and ran a very thin spectra line through. This was kinda tricky and time consuming. We ended up having to use a dab of epoxy on the end of a steel cable which we ran through the housing and glued it to the spectra so we could pull the spectra through without ruining the braid. When you squeeze the cable it feels mushy, as the cable was very dirty, and it didn't pass smoothly through the housing on return. We tried lubricating the housing with some teflon spray and reran the cable and that didn't help at all (even if it had, I think it would eventually ruin the spectra.)

Maybe somebody will figure out a way to make a sytem like this work. But that someone isn't us.:p

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I had a really really good run with simple XTR teflon pre stretched cables sp40 casing and a shimano sealed cap kit, may sound simple but worked smooth as butter for the 8months I had them on my bike and needed little adjustment as well, in fact the guy I sold my bike to is still running them and its been well over a year and hes only replaced the rear inner cable because it frayed at the end.:monkey:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
What kind of cables and housing are you guy`s using ,I use the stock bulk cables and SIS housing when I put my cables on I grease them while pushing them through and when I do a check up on my bike I will pull the housings out of the ferrels and re-grease them ,I learned this from when I worked at a bike shop I never have a problem with cables ever ,When you install them where you see that open cable pull on that bad boy as hard as you can to stretch it out ( kind of looks like a bow and arrow string) then readjust it I should last you all year ;)