Quantcast

Non Lightweight Knee Pads

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm looking for park friendly knee pads as mine are old and clapped out. It seems like everyone and their mom now makes a pair so the choice is less obvious than Fox vs Poc.

Anything you monkeys can recomend outside of the POC which has a weirdly good price here? None of that superlight trail things please. I crash a lot so I can take the discomfort.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've taken some diggers now in my TLD Raid pads and they've held up pretty well. I had initial misgivings because I've never had a kneepad that only had one strap (top) stay secure before in hard crashes, but I've been pretty happy with these. There's enough cup shape in the interior of the pad that combined with the strap they stay pretty secure. And state side I see some pretty cheap deals on them. I got skinny chicken legs fwiw

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've taken some diggers now in my TLD Raid pads and they've held up pretty well. I had initial misgivings because I've never had a kneepad that only had one strap (top) stay secure before in hard crashes, but I've been pretty happy with these. There's enough cup shape in the interior of the pad that combined with the strap they stay pretty secure. And state side I see some pretty cheap deals on them. I got skinny chicken legs fwiw
Yeah here TLD stuff is stupid expensive.

I'm curious about Amplify Polymer Knee pads. They are the best priced next to POC and maybe Ion. @sethimus since you are our resident German. Any experience with Amplify knee pads?

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have no idea but this dude likes Shred

I was just searching because I wondered if Boneless made bike knee pads but it seems they are still aimed at skating only.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah here TLD stuff is stupid expensive.

I'm curious about Amplify Polymer Knee pads. They are the best priced next to POC and maybe Ion. @sethimus since you are our resident German. Any experience with Amplify knee pads?
damn, that's frustrating - state side theres some sales going on making it pretty inexpensive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have first gen POC knee pads, they are getting a little long in the tooth but are still functional, albeit a tad warm. i picked up a set of fox enduro pro elbow pads and they are nice, although IMO the enduro version isn't quite a full DH version. curious if there's anything i should consider besides POC when it's time to upgrade my knee pads.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i have first gen POC knee pads, they are getting a little long in the tooth but are still functional, albeit a tad warm. i picked up a set of fox enduro pro elbow pads and they are nice, although IMO the enduro version isn't quite a full DH version. curious if there's anything i should consider besides POC when it's time to upgrade my knee pads.
The plastic bit fox knee pads seem nice and I've read one review of Amplify which really praised their protection so since we are in the same boat I'd look at those 2 if maybe you can get a decent price for them

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Another for IXS. I've had a helmet and knee pads from them and they held up great. I also don't crash much. But when I do. I make sure I'm wearing my IXS :D

That being said I'm also a Dianese and Alpinestars nerd. Both of which should have plenty of availability in Euroland.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
For park I run a full length knee and shin.

They have a fabric knee and a hard shin. Not the cheapest, but for me they have been worth the price of admission.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
personal preference really.
Thought there is something wrong with them. Used them in the olden days of Dainese dominance but not for a long time.

Also did anyone here ever own Raceface Ambush? Their prices here are really low so I am tempted.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thought there is something wrong with them. Used them in the olden days of Dainese dominance but not for a long time.

Also did anyone here ever own Raceface Ambush? Their prices here are really low so I am tempted.
maybe it was just the ones i tried, but they didn't articulate well and / or didn't stay in place.

back then i couldn't afford dainese.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
maybe it was just the ones i tried, but they didn't articulate well and / or didn't stay in place.

back then i couldn't afford dainese.
Yeah I've heard newer ones with knees only work well even with plastic bits on them.

As for Dainese - the benefits and costs of Yurp vs US. You get cheaper TLD and a few others. We get cheaper Euro brands

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I use them when I want pads when riding on my trailbike.
For my DH bike I have some POC's which are a bit longer down the shin and have a hard shell over the kneecap.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
For park I run a full length knee and shin.

They have a fabric knee and a hard shin. Not the cheapest, but for me they have been worth the price of admission.
I use the TLD Raid kneepads while riding trails and the Leatt's in bikepark. Both kneepads "disappear" after couple of minutes. The Leatt's are a bit harder to put on as one of the straps doesn't fully open.

There's actually two similar models:
Knee & Shin Guard 3DF Hybrid EXT = Full Length Soft And Hard Impact Foam Protector
Knee & Shin Guard EXT = Full Length Knee And Shin Hard Shell Protection With Impact Foam

JerseyMojo

Chimp
Oct 11, 2018
I’ve got some TLD Raids as well as some Ion K-Lite Zip.

The Raids are mega comfy until the silicon starts to burn - 1-2 hours is fine, but a whole day in the park will almost always result in a burn.. (have got other knee pads with silicon on that doesn’t burn, even on all day trail bike rides - anyone else had this with the Raids?)

Last time I was in the alps I bought the Ions. I don’t think there’s much difference in the protection level and they’re really comfortable. Defo worth a look.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I think the main reason that pants are mandated for UCI dh racing now is because the Scott Grenade pads are so freaking good some chf changed hands to hide that fact from the world.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I use the TLD Raid kneepads while riding trails and the Leatt's in bikepark. Both kneepads "disappear" after couple of minutes. The Leatt's are a bit harder to put on as one of the straps doesn't fully open.

There's actually two similar models:
Knee & Shin Guard 3DF Hybrid EXT = Full Length Soft And Hard Impact Foam Protector
Knee & Shin Guard EXT = Full Length Knee And Shin Hard Shell Protection With Impact Foam
If they're anything like the Leatt air's that I use they're tanks. I've taken some pretty bad falls on the "lightweight" pads.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm looking for park friendly knee pads as mine are old and clapped out. It seems like everyone and their mom now makes a pair so the choice is less obvious than Fox vs Poc.

Anything you monkeys can recomend outside of the POC which has a weirdly good price here? None of that superlight trail things please. I crash a lot so I can take the discomfort.
Hey @norbar PSA, hibike is having a massive protector sale https://www.hibike.com/flash-sale-n546a1605cc738

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think the main reason that pants are mandated for UCI dh racing now is because the Scott Grenade pads are so freaking good some chf changed hands to hide that fact from the world.
I’ve given a lot of those knee pads to non-Scott athletes over the years. Before the pants regs they just cut off the S logo.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Yup. Had a pair for about a decade now and they won’t die, and I still cannot fault them. So comfy and don’t move during a ride. Ive used them for pedal days too. For knee only protection they are great.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I might pull a plug on them then since they are on sale here for a ridiculous 35$ . Just waiting to see if a different bro deal is available.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I’ve given a lot of those knee pads to non-Scott athletes over the years. Before the pants regs they just cut off the S logo.
I mean, when the world cup bois are taking their pants off around me… I take notice of such things.

I crashed so hard over shooting a jump in 2018 wearing some grenade pads that my hip is still sore. My knee was the first body part to hit the ground, and it was absolutely fine, even though I overshot far enough that the front wheel just collapsed on landing.

Crazy good stuff

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I mean, when the world cup bois are taking their pants off around me… I take notice of such things.

I crashed so hard over shooting a jump in 2018 wearing some grenade pads that my hip is still sore. My knee was the first body part to hit the ground, and it was absolutely fine, even though I overshot far enough that the front wheel just collapsed on landing.

Crazy good stuff
are you sure that's not just old age? :busted:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

Crazy good stuff
Glad you like them!

The first version is my favorite one for DH riding. After that we made them more breathable/pedal-able with a slight compromise in protection and staying power.

The Dirt Mag guys came over once when I was in full proto sewing knee pad mode. In this photo from that article, you can see a very early prototype before we choose to go with D3o. It was a similar type of foam bonded to fabric in a honeycomb pattern. I never figured out how to make good elbow pads though. That is a way bigger challenge.

79507C2D-B7B5-4E40-AA0A-239F582A1FFC.jpeg

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Glad you like them!

The first version is my favorite one for DH riding. After that we made them more breathable/pedal-able with a slight compromise in protection and staying power.

The Dirt Mag guys came over once when I was in full proto sewing knee pad mode. In this photo from that article, you can see a very early prototype before we choose to go with D3o. It was a similar type of foam bonded to fabric in a honeycomb pattern. I never figured out how to make good elbow pads though. That is a way bigger challenge.

View attachment 192601
Yeah, I have two pairs of those. Crazy, crazy protective. I've never figured out how people even WEAR elbow pads, so I feel ya.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, I have two pairs of those. Crazy, crazy protective. I've never figured out how people even WEAR elbow pads, so I feel ya.
Weirdly plastic poc ones work decent for me but generally I just crash too much not to wear max protection.