Quantcast

non-mtb: any headhunters here?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
no, not of the cannibal variety, of the HR / placement variety.

I've been trying to relocate for some time now and haven't been successful yet. I am quite employable, but aren't degreed. I have an excellent resume and history, but the abundance of job seekers just about everywhere has made it more difficult than I expected. I've held only two jobs in the past 8+ years and job hunting is much different that it used to be.

ex: I had an excellent series of intervews with a company in the Denver area that I felt would surely lead to an offer. After telling me that they decided to make an offer to a local candidate, they also shared the fact that they received over 350 resumes for this single position!

ex: Another company, same excellent series of interviews, told me that they've decided to only hire fresh college grads at this time (vs. experience). I imagine they can get a body in for less $$ upfront and 'mold' them into exactly what they think they need this way.

Anyway, what is your take on trying to secure work before relocation these days? I'm not in a position to roll the dice on moving and then finding work.

Thanks in advance for yout thoughts.

Nick

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I'm of the 'get a job before you relocate' mentality. I did it twice, moving to NYC and then moving to Seattle. There's a headhunter company that I work with in Houston if you're interested, although I don't know if they deal w/ what you're interested in. The woman I talk to deals w/ the architecture/construction/design trade.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm of the "you wanna move - just do it and things will work out" mindset. Of course, I did all that when I was young and broke, so didn't have much to lose. :D

You might consider battening down the hatches for 6 months, saving a pile of cash, and then reevaluating the "move then find a job" option...........

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
reflux said:
Any specific location where you'd prefer to relocate?
Actually, I am quite open in this area. I would relocate anywhere with a healthy riding scene and not too far from a major airport. My girlfriend works from home and travels often. The airport is her only necessity.

Ideally speaking, someplace with little to zero "off-season" for riding and access to both mountains and water.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
While you're waiting for someone to post something new on the RM ... would you consider taking a look at your comany's intranet and checking for any openings? (any sales, professional services) If there is any lead that you can PM to me, I would be most grateful.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
SkaredShtles said:
I'm of the "you wanna move - just do it and things will work out" mindset. Of course, I did all that when I was young and broke, so didn't have much to lose. :D

You might consider battening down the hatches for 6 months, saving a pile of cash, and then reevaluating the "move then find a job" option...........

I know ... I should have tried that when I was able. Situations change.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:

I've done this minus the "save a pile of cash."

Twice moving to Colorado and then moving to North Carolina.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stevew said:
I've done this minus the "save a pile of cash."

Twice moving to Colorado and then moving to North Carolina.
My point was that if you have other considerations such as wife, kids, etc. it might be more doable after saving a cushion.

I did the MI->CO move, then CO->AZ, then AZ->CO, then CO->CA, then CA->CO moves between '93 and '96. Good times...........

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
If I were you I'd post your resume on Monster.com, and the head hunters will come to you. My girlfriend is in IT sales as well, and she gets bombarded by calls from head hunters.

Can't hurt anyway.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
My point was that if you have other considerations such as wife, kids, etc. it might be more doable after saving a cushion.

I did the MI->CO move, then CO->AZ, then AZ->CO, then CO->CA, then CA->CO moves between '93 and '96. Good times...........
Understood.

Although I have come to find it is almost impossible to find a good bakery in Charlotte. Their idea of fresh bread here is not the same as mine.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Why don't you bake your own? :think:
It is going to come to that. Their idea of fresh down here is what I would consider stale.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'd narrow down some specific locations before contacting a headhunter. They won't take too well to "someplace kinda warm, with loamy soil and a low pollen count in late April".

As far as biting the bullet and moving where you want to live, as opposed to where a job is, my vote is to pick a location and go. If you're actually a salesman, and not just an order taker, you can find work anywhere and beyond your current experiences. Beyond the medical field, sales is the most mobile skill in business IMO.