Quantcast

non-****ty social networking?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Myspace has got to be the worst site on the net. Barf.

Has anyone seen a social networking site they liked? Anyone use any of them?

I briefly checked out Ning.com and that seems to be a step in the right direction.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What exactly to you intend to accomplish by social networking? Blogs bore me to tears, even if it's one of my friends, I'd try team sports, church, classes at community colleges, etc.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
What exactly to you intend to accomplish by social networking? Blogs bore me to tears, even if it's one of my friends, I'd try team sports, church, classes at community colleges, etc.
I don't intend to do anything - it was just a general question. Blogs are usually pretty bad unless they are actually about some subject the author is an authority on.

Where social networking could be interesting is in a Yahoo Groups kind of way. There are a lot of niche subjects where the Internet makes discussion possible that wouldn't work any other way because people with that interest are so few and far between.

But anyway, just wondering if people have seen or used social networking sites they liked.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MySpace is intolerable. I log on only when I'm notified by email that I've got something to look at. That's rare enough that I haven't deleted my account yet, if it ever becomes a common occurrence, I'll probably shut off my account.

Facebook is pretty decent - the tight control over layouts makes for good browsing but their recent integration if little utilities/applications may quickly destroy it.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I don't intend to do anything - it was just a general question. Blogs are usually pretty bad unless they are actually about some subject the author is an authority on.

Where social networking could be interesting is in a Yahoo Groups kind of way. There are a lot of niche subjects where the Internet makes discussion possible that wouldn't work any other way because people with that interest are so few and far between.

But anyway, just wondering if people have seen or used social networking sites they liked.
So what you're saying is that you have a hobby and you want to get people from around the world to discuss the hobby. You could always host a site that would list some news stories relevant to the hobby and provide a message board for members to discuss different topics... Oh wait, haven't you already been there and done that?:biggrin:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Facebook FTW. So much better than Myspace. For some reason people aren't as compelled to mis-represent themselves.

bikeordie351

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Facebook is pretty decent - the tight control over layouts makes for good browsing but their recent integration if little utilities/applications may quickly destroy it.
I've found that facebook is definitely one of the better sites out there as far as the social networking thing goes, but with these application things, the site is turning into myspace