Quantcast

Noob, price check please

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
So I'm looking to buy a Specialized P.2, I think its a 2006 frame. It won't be complete but it won't be just the frame. I'm not sure what will be with it and what won't and I know that will make it hard to judge, but can anyone ballpark a number that I should be looking to pay for it?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
$100.

A 4 year old dirt jumper. I'm not sure I would pay $200 for a complete bike.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Really that low? I've seen the bike in person, its in great condition, not mint but definitely isn't abused or anything.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Really that low? I've seen the bike in person, its in great condition, not mint but definitely isn't abused or anything.
I'm no dirt jumper, but I've done my share of stair cases and drops on my hardtail.

Unless this guy never rode, there is a level of abuse which you will not see on regular bikes.

The problem will become that someone fool on Craiglist might be willing to spend $300-500 on a bike just with disc brakes, so you might be competing with that person.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Agree with Sanjuro on this 1. A local Kmart bike gets ridden to the deli and soccer practice. a DJ bike Gets slammed down stairs, sent off jumps, and slammed into other things. Even if he barely rode it and barely fell, there is just no way it hasnt had ANY abuse. FYI a year ago i sold a P1 with a new 300 wheelset, the bike sold for 300(based off the wheels) in order to sell the bike, i had to give away the bike and sell the wheels.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
'05 P2. Currently has a Marz. DJ3 on it w/ air preload. Easton stem and bars, Truvativ Holfzfeller cranks, FSA seat post, Sunn Single Track rear rim, generic front, Poverty BMX seat, generic platforms, single speed set up with tensioner. Not sure what tires I'll leave on it. Fully functioning in all regards.

He want's $375 for it? Good or bad?

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
I'm waiting for pics myself actually. I'll put em up once I get em. I'm excited though, I'm tired of jumping on my XC bike haha.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Bad. My friend just sold a barley ridden Broodie Cretin w/ Argyle for $350, I just sold a 2010 P1 for $500. Just wait and scour the net for deals, they do come along. If you miss that 05 for $375, I wouldnt jump off a bridge.

djbiker

Monkey
Sep 25, 2009
they got a couple of good deals on norco havocs on pinkbike, goto buy and sell, then search norco havoc, saw some as cheap as 325, i think their decent deals

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
My one problem with buying bikes off the internet is that I haven't had a chance to ride them. I've had a chance to ride this bike and I like the way it feels. Anyway, here are pics.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This really falls under how you negotiate it.

All of these parts are low end except the crankarms. My guess is the crankset got destroyed (I believe a Hussefelt), because the last upgrade I would make on a dj bike is lighter arms.

I'm also curious what happened to the original fork. Not that it really matters, but most OEM DJ forks do not even have a dampening cartridge. But the frame is unlikely to snap, even if the cranks and the fork did.

On the other hand, this is a complete bike, so you wouldn't have to scrounge for parts. You couldn't buy a decent DJ bike for less than this, either.

The last hardtail I put together, it cost me $150, because I either had parts sitting around or friends gave it to me.

So, while I might not think this bike is worth $375, you might not have the options I have. If so, you really have to go for it, even though most of the bike is sheeyat.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
This really falls under how you negotiate it.

All of these parts are low end except the crankarms. My guess is the crankset got destroyed (I believe a Hussefelt), because the last upgrade I would make on a dj bike is lighter arms.

I'm also curious what happened to the original fork. Not that it really matters, but most OEM DJ forks do not even have a dampening cartridge. But the frame is unlikely to snap, even if the cranks and the fork did.

On the other hand, this is a complete bike, so you wouldn't have to scrounge for parts. You couldn't buy a decent DJ bike for less than this, either.

The last hardtail I put together, it cost me $150, because I either had parts sitting around or friends gave it to me.

So, while I might not think this bike is worth $375, you might not have the options I have. If so, you really have to go for it, even though most of the bike is sheeyat.
:confused: Whats bad on it? I know the fork isn't the greatest and the wheel set isn't awesome but what are these other "bad" parts?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Unless you are light, and not an aggressive rider at all, those cranks are CRAP. You'll twist the spindle like a wet noodle.
The fork is so-so.
All in all though, it's probably worth the money if you like it.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Unless you are light, and not an aggressive rider at all, those cranks are CRAP. You'll twist the spindle like a wet noodle.
The fork is so-so.
All in all though, it's probably worth the money if you like it.

I don't know if I would call it being aggressive or being a hack :rolleyes: haha. Anyway, cranks can be dealt with when and if it comes up (I am pretty light, 130lbs) I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it, I'm gonna see if I can get him to knock the price down about 50 but even if not I'll probably pick it up.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If its what you want, and feel like your getting a good deal, thats what matters the most. But honestly I'd be hard pressed to come up with 100 bucks for that bike. When price checking bikes, The frame, fork, and wheels are going to cost the most. Whats that fork run used? 50 bucks maybe- the frame maybe 50 bucks also. Those wheels can't be worth much more than that either. So your looking at 150 bucks for the frame, fork, wheels. Think that the rest of the bike is worth 200 bucks? Probably not. Luckily your a light kid and probably not going to thrash that thing, unless your a hack. But the fork weighs damn near 7 lbs- It's like jumping strapped to a boat anchor.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
:confused: Whats bad on it? I know the fork isn't the greatest and the wheel set isn't awesome but what are these other "bad" parts?
Brakes are turds, but typical for most DJ'ers.

After that, there are no other parts to speak of.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The bike has potential, if you think you can do it, go ahead, the best person to judge yourself is YOU. We all can sit here and belittle the bike, but who knows what will work for you. My bike is full Cromo 34 pounds, DH tubes and pimpnormals. But i weight close to 200 pounds and do lots of street stuff so TO ME i need a bike that can take a ****load of abuse. How many bikes pop up in here that are like .999 pounds built. You have to make the decesion. imo, its not worth 375, because after 1 week, id have to replace everything except the frame and grips.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
If you plan on riding dj's that other people built, you may want to consider a less aggresive front tire. FWIW. other than that that will make an OK 1st dj rig.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
The bike has potential, if you think you can do it, go ahead, the best person to judge yourself is YOU. We all can sit here and belittle the bike, but who knows what will work for you. My bike is full Cromo 34 pounds, DH tubes and pimpnormals. But i weight close to 200 pounds and do lots of street stuff so TO ME i need a bike that can take a ****load of abuse. How many bikes pop up in here that are like .999 pounds built. You have to make the decesion. imo, its not worth 375, because after 1 week, id have to replace everything except the frame and grips.
True, I was going to use it as a base but I think I've decided to just continue the search. I've got a friend who works in a bike shop who might be able to get me a hook up.

If you plan on riding dj's that other people built, you may want to consider a less aggresive front tire. FWIW. other than that that will make an OK 1st dj rig.
This I was aware of, I was going to run either a Holy Roller or a SB8, as those are the tires that the guys where I am usually run.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
'05 P2. Currently has a Marz. DJ3 on it w/ air preload. Easton stem and bars, Truvativ Holfzfeller cranks, FSA seat post, Sunn Single Track rear rim, generic front, Poverty BMX seat, generic platforms, single speed set up with tensioner. Not sure what tires I'll leave on it. Fully functioning in all regards.

Seriously 375? That bike is complete but not worth what he's asking IMO. I'd do a little more searching and you will probably find a bike with better parts for that price range. But like was said before it is up to you. Good luck and let us see your next choice so we can see if it meets our standards...hehe

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Haha, yup, I definitely gonna let this one go. I've got a friend who works in a bike shop who might try and get me a deal on their 09 p.3 rental they've got or just keep an eye out and see if he sees anything interesting. Once I get something I'll post it up though!

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
thre are nice new completes for arround 500 bucks, check the haro's, giant stp's, jamis.
Good bikes, and the most important you get warranty.

otherwise that P2 only needs a shorter stem, than lower the seat and you can hit dirt jumps on it

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
thre are nice new completes for arround 500 bucks, check the haro's, giant stp's, jamis.
Good bikes, and the most important you get warranty.

otherwise that P2 only needs a shorter stem, than lower the seat and you can hit dirt jumps on it
what he said, expect no jamis