Quantcast

Noob Q: Black rim wheels w/V-Brakes?

LabradorBoy

Chimp
Jun 27, 2004
Hi guys, new to the forum and back from a fairly long hiatus to re-join the sport...

I really like the look of the all-black rims that I see on some of the modern bikes that I see, but I am afraid that a set of V-brakes would kill the paint on
the rim sides.

Are the all-black rims typically only used with disc brakes, or can I go ahead with V-brakes and not worry about scraping the rims up badly? I think the silver-walled rims look a little out of place on an all-black bike.

Any comments are appreciated,

-Rob
robpilgrim@gmail.com

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Great idea:

Smear motor oil on your rims to give them the appearance of blackness...It also decreases brake pad wear!

Twice

Chimp
Jul 22, 2004
My ride has all black rims and V brakes, so I also made note of this. Although, I have a way to get better performance as well as looks out of the situation.

I'm ride and customize street motorcycles, and own my own aluminum polishing business. One of the reasons to polish is looks, and also drop weight. What I'm planning on doing this weekend is stripping the paint off the lips of my wheels and just hitting them with 2000 grit sand paper. If you really want a shine, use some mothers aluminum polish. Make sure tape of the rim with a nice straight edge before applying any paint stripper though. I don't recommend doing a lot of sanding like what is done on motorcycles, but a quick brush with 2000 grit should give it a good look and improve breaking. If your afraid to pull sand paper to your wheels, grab a piece of #0000 steel wool and spray some wd40 on the lips and scrub away. It's not as gritty as 2000 grit, but if the aluminum is really smooth, it will shine it right up. Be sure to use a cleaner after that removes oils, like Total Prep to get the residue off and clear the surface.