Quantcast

noob question about DMR Trailblade 2's

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
So i just got a trailblade2 and im wondering, does this fork have a crown race built into it? it flares out at the bottom of the steer tube, so the fork sits in the headset perfectly fine and spins easily, but im wondering if there's a special crown race I need or its fine as is? Its an integrated headset if it helps.

Also, when going down stairs, or lifting the bike up a few inches and letting it drop, the fork sounds like its loose. It sounds almost like the hub is bouncing around the axle or something (its a 20mm hub).
Keep in mind, there is no play and i've tightened all the bolts and the sound is still there. anybody know whats going on there? Sorry it is kind of vague...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
i had a trailblade 2nd gen and it needed a crown race. my frame also had an integrated head tube but you still needed a crown race.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Any fork that doesn't need a bottom race will be sold as "integrated headset only." Your integrated headset should have come with a bottom "race" (Not really a race but a tapered ring.)

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
thanks guys. lol, with my other fork, I completely forgot the crown race, and obviously, the fork couldn't really turn in the headset.
I did ride it a couple of days (nothing big)because I thought it might have been ok/couldn't get the crown race off of my old fork.
I shouldn't have done any permanent damage right?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
No damage to the fork, maybe some to the headset. Doubtful unless you rode it hard though.
I think there are only a few BMX forks that have the race built in.

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
sweet i've installed the crown race and it looks like everything is fine...that hollow kind of rattling sound is gone too.
danke!