Quantcast

noob question: dirtbag or session 77?

happity

Chimp
Jun 14, 2009
hey
I might be doing a budget freeride build this summer and I need to know which of these frames is better.

I can get a 07 dirtbag with a fork and some other parts for $600

or an 08 session 77 for $350

....I cant decide.
there is probably an obvious answer but i am not a seasoned biker so I wouldnt know.

thanks a bunch

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Carnation/Spokane, WA, USA
I would say go for the dirtbag. I have an 07 session 7 and I have always had problems with the main pivot of the frame. It will not tighten all the way. I think my frame has a combination of a design flaw and bad tolerances. The main pivot bearings are not pressed into the frame, but rather they are secured with a press fit locktite. This breaks free really easy, making it impossible to keep the pivot tight, and I have tried everything to get it tighter but no matter what it is always loose. I can wiggle my bike from side to side and the whole back end flops around.

All that being said, I would go with transition. I ordered a set of their wheels and they sent it to me super fast. I have met the crew and I am also friends with a couple of their grassroots riders and everyone is awesome. I would recommend transition for both their awesome products, and their support if you should ever need it.

Aug 11, 2009
halifax
All the bearings in the session frames are held in with locktite 680. If you do it properly, ie clean, apply the right amount, assemble/torque it up and give it min 24hrs to cure, ie don't touch the thing at all, they will not come loose.

It is not a flaw, it was made that way, and actually a good idea, as it takes up any miss alignment in the rest of the frame and de-stresses the bearings

session 77 probably comes with a swinger 4way, dirtbag, maybe a DHX5.

dirtbag and session frames are nearly identical geo wise, sounds like the dirtbag is a better deal depending on the fork.

I'd also check the session for cracks on the seat tub near the BB, mine failed there.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I would get the dirtbag soley based on their support. i had one, had some issues (from riding the crap out of it), and they had new parts in the mail to me for free within a week. It rode great, too.

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
All the bearings in the session frames are held in with locktite 680. If you do it properly, ie clean, apply the right amount, assemble/torque it up and give it min 24hrs to cure, ie don't touch the thing at all, they will not come loose.

It is not a flaw, it was made that way, and actually a good idea, as it takes up any miss alignment in the rest of the frame and de-stresses the bearings

session 77 probably comes with a swinger 4way, dirtbag, maybe a DHX5.

dirtbag and session frames are nearly identical geo wise, sounds like the dirtbag is a better deal depending on the fork.

I'd also check the session for cracks on the seat tub near the BB, mine failed there.
I have replaced the bearings and I have had two different shops do it too. We all did it correctly and allowed for proper curing before moving the thing. It is a bad design. It always breaks free after about the second ride no matter what. I cant re-loctite the dang thing once a week. That just doesnt work for me

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I have replaced the bearings and I have had two different shops do it too. We all did it correctly and allowed for proper curing before moving the thing. It is a bad design. It always breaks free after about the second ride no matter what. I cant re-loctite the dang thing once a week. That just doesnt work for me
That sucks but I think its your bike.

The 77 is a higher quality frme than the DB. Plus it has adjustable geo at the drop outs. Reguardless they are both fun bikes. The only advantage of picking up the DB is that they might give a discount on a crash replacement if you end up cracking the frame. Customer service at a trek dealer is stelar but they wont give a new frame with out a receipt from a dealer. Hope this helps.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
That sucks but I think its your bike.

The 77 is a higher quality frme than the DB. Plus it has adjustable geo at the drop outs. Reguardless they are both fun bikes. The only advantage of picking up the DB is that they might give a discount on a crash replacement if you end up cracking the frame. Customer service at a trek dealer is stelar but they wont give a new frame with out a receipt from a dealer. Hope this helps.
i seriously doubt the Trekk is a higher quality frame. Now if it was a Demo7 or an SXT then it is a no brainer over the DB.

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
i seriously doubt the Trekk is a higher quality frame. Now if it was a Demo7 or an SXT then it is a no brainer over the DB.
Agreed. Plus, you cannot run a full length seat post unless you size down and use a shim. This is because the design of the seat tube is dumb imo. Right where the front derailleur mounts, trek cut out a chunk of the seat tube and fitted a sleeve in there and welded it together. It looks like one tube from a distance, but once you get close you notice the welds and that the tubing is smaller at that spot on order to allow for a front derailleur to mount. But this sleeve prevents running a full length post unless you size down and use a shim (so it slips through the sleeve). By using the larger (read correct) size seat post, I am only allowed about 6 inches of seat post insertion, which does provide some adjustment, but not enough for long periods of pedaling.

This is all on a medium btw.