Quantcast

nOOb questions

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Ok, I just got a new mac book pro:happydance:, and I've never really used apple's before so I've been messing around and I have some questions.

1) I've heard a lot of people talk about how wonderful firefox is over safari or ie7, but I can't find reasons why firefox is better. Could someone please inform me.

2) Is there a website(s) that I can check out to learn more tricks and such to operate my machine more efficiently?

Thanks

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I don't know about Safari, but Firefox + Adblock Plus + NoScript = no more advertisements on web pages. Worth its weight in gold.
That's about it, I didn't mess around with no script much though, it blocked too much of what I actually wanted to see, I suppose if I had the patience to figure out what the settings and controls did I could have liked it.

I've heared good things about Safari, but it comes from Mac Geeks so I take it with a grain of salt. I'm okay with IE7 at work, it seems to do just about everything Firefox does, but I use Firefox at home just because I can.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
That's about it, I didn't mess around with no script much though, it blocked too much of what I actually wanted to see, I suppose if I had the patience to figure out what the settings and controls did I could have liked it.
The newer version gives you a little control icon in the lower right corner to allow websites. Initially it was a bit of work getting the frequently accessed websites in the "allow" category, but in the long worth it, IMO.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I just got around to pairing up firefox and adblock plus, and for those who havn't made the switch I highly recommend it, it's amazing. No more ads anywhere, I love it. Oh, and the computer is awesome! I'm still adjusting to mac, but once I get adjusted to it, it should be great.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
fire fox and IE are way more compatible with all the sites out there now, safari will have problems on a number of sites.
Um, no. In fact, Safari is the only browser of those 3 to pass the acid2 test. Firefox is close, but not quite.

IE is a huge hulking piece of crap of a browser and should never be recommended, ever. Period.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Um, no. In fact, Safari is the only browser of those 3 to pass the acid2 test. Firefox is close, but not quite.

IE is a huge hulking piece of crap of a browser and should never be recommended, ever. Period.
From a user's standpoint IE isn't that bad, IE7 is even decent for the idiots of the world who open every email attachment that is sent to them. For the Web Designer it may be a different story...

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Ok, I have one more question for yall(probably not my last though). What kind of anti-virus/spyware prevention software do you use on your macs and what do you do for security? I turned on the firewall in the computer, is that enough?