Quantcast

noob questions

MTrider

Chimp
Jun 4, 2009
Missoula MT
whats up everyone..new to ridemonkey from montana... looking for a nice starter bike that i can build on for awhile. I don't plan on doing anything too extreme...yet..just some single track and dabble in a bit of downhill. i did some research on the interwebs and came across the diamondback response sport.
The idea i had in mind was a hardtail with disc brakes. From my research it said that the bike is a good bang for your buck at the entry level and is great to build on as the components that come on it aren't that great. they also said that the bike is a bit on the heavier side...but since i am a bit on the heavier side as well (6ft 210 lbs) i figured a bit heavier bike might not be a bad idea..correct me if i'm wrong please. I believe the frame has a lifetime warranty as well. We've got a local shop in town that sells them but i was hoping to get some input from the RM community. any input would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone...happy biking

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
I would talk to the people at your local shop. Tell them your budget, and what your looking to do. They should be able to point you in a good direction. But your off to a good start by purchasing local!

Sorry I cannot input on DB bikes. Also see if your local shop has used bikes, it'll save you a bit (which you will want any extra cash for upgrades!)

MTrider

Chimp
Jun 4, 2009
Missoula MT
so i went down to my local shop over my work lunch break and pedaled around the db response comp in an 18" and 20" frame...definitely liked the 20" better

link: http://bicyclehangar.googlepages.com/diamondbackresponsecomp2008

i did NOT like the sram x5 shifters at all. i talked to the owners son who's bike for the summer was the 20" comp and he said that the comp was the only one he would get out of the response line..
i'm rocking a specialized old school hard rock with no suspension at all and shimano shifters...when comparing just the shifters...shimano wins in my opinion...now to go test ride the jamis komodo after work...the search continues...also considering the specialized p1 all mtn disc now too

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
jamis komodo if you like freeride type stuff and just plain awsome bikes.
gt has nice ones if you have the cash.
but just as timekiller said talk at your local bike shop, try out some bikes, and get what you like not what people tell you.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Did you tell them that you didn't like the shifters? Most shops will change them out for the diffrence in price. If you like the bike for everything except the shifters, tell them that is the deal breaker and see if they will work with you.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Just so you know, in order to put Shimano shifters on, you'll have to change the rear derailleur as well. In general, they are not compatible. But allow me to suggest upgrading the shifters to Sram X7. The shifting action is completely different to the X5, and it works pretty well for an affordable shifter. Of course, the X9 is a great shifter, I prefer them to Shimano XT, but I would imagine it's quite a price difference.

MTrider

Chimp
Jun 4, 2009
Missoula MT
thanks for that info! when i order my bike from my local place i'll ride around something with the x7s and the x9s and then see what they can do for pricing. just gotta wait for that pay check...2010 white p am here i come