Quantcast

noob road racing question

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
anyone know the official way to move up in cat standings?

i've heard that you must win 5 crits in a row to move up to 4 and so on and so forth.

i have never raced.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
To move up to Cat 4 - you basically just have to get some experience racing.

From USAC: 5 to 4 upgrade requirements

5-4: Experience in 10 mass start races.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Uh, everyone behind you is thinking about taking you out on the first turn.
fixed!

another thing to consider too is to not be reckless and follow the rules that are set for each race. besides the rules that are always in place, each race may have their own tweak to it because of the area your in. being aggresive but smart is fine, but don't be a tool and reckless. you may find that if your a tool you'll have people bitching about you to the officials. do it enough they take notice and remember you so when you want to move up, they may deny you based on your past. if you haven't raced road, then i would suggest you find a local club and either join or start to ride with them if they have weekly rides. if they have weekly club races then that would be a good place to start to learn. it's usually cheaper, the pace may or may not be the same as a sanctioned race, but that's how i got my start with the Boston Road Club. they always held a weekly crit race and when there wasn't a USCF race that weekend, those club races were busy and it was like $7 to race compared to the $20+ to race a USCF sanctioned race.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
....MY FLESH IS ETERNAL! I HAVE COME TO TAKE WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY MINE!!!!!

btw, i think my bike is broke, there's no chain on it. =)

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
Originally Posted by sanjuro
Uh, everyone behind you is thinking about taking you out on the first turn.

bring it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My original comment is your first concern should be not to crash and not to cause a crash.

Don't pedal thru turns, keep your lines, no swerving, and be safe.

Win or lose, don't cause a crash.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Did you do any of the Weekly Wells ave Crit's ? I did too many of those
when there wasn't a USCF race, i was at Wells racing. i raced every weekend, sometimes twice if there was a USCF on a saturday i'd go to Wells and race there on sunday if i was feeling ok. still one of the best ways around here to learn how to race in a pack.