Quantcast

noob saying hello...and has a question

homeyjosey

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
Hey everyone im new to this forum and biking in general. Im basically getting a bike to 1)get to and from school and 2)to go on some trails and downhill some times....well my two choices are these...keep in mind i dont need the best bike but just a decent one for cheap(im a college student) my 2 choices are these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270244837519

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270244831840

thank you

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Welcome.

I'm gonna' jump out there and say that those two bikes aren't worth any money at all. I understand that you're not loaded, but you would pretty much be getting ripped off no matter what you paid for either of those bikes.

What is your budget? $20? $50? $500?

Remember that you get what you pay for and bikes run the gamut from $100 to 7 or 8 thousand dollars.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Like I said, with that money your getting what you pay for. The best advice I can give (and you may want to take it with a grain of salt) is get one off craigslist, NOT Ebay. That way you can at least look the bike over before you hand over any dough.

Just try to find something that rides smoothly and shifts well. I'm going to suggest staying away from those low end full sus bikes, I really don't think they're gonna' help you.

Anybody else back me up here?

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Gotta agree with Jim here. And I hate to say it but if your budget is only $65 you most likely wont find a trail worthy bike. You could ride any of those back and forth to school, but if you take them out on the trail you will most likely have nothing but problems. I know that sucks but if you just save money for a couple months go to a local bike shop, or even somewhere like Sun & Ski Sports, you can get a entry level cross country bike (hardtail, real suspension costs $$), for around $300 to $400. Wich you could ride at school and still rip trails, and not have to deal with sh!t breaking all the time. The Wal-Mart type full suspension bikes are not meant to be ridden on trails, and you will find that out if you buy one.