Quantcast

Noob!!!!!

roost

Chimp
Jan 16, 2012
Baton Rouge La
I know here goes another! Well I would like some help. I am 38 and need to get back into shape for racing dirt bikes off road (my first love) and thought this would be better than being bored ass he!! in a gym. My brother gave me a Trek VXR 200, so I have a bike (nit sure how good it will be) what more do I need to know? I don't want to end up trail trash and look like a fool on my way to the hospital. If I enjoy this I plan on getting a new bike but didn't want to drop $1000 bucks on it just yet. Thanks for any help.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hope you enjoy Hooper Road. When I lived in New Orleans, it was the closest place to mountain bike.

As for any good bike, I think going to your local shop is the best bet. I think most bikes under $1000 are very similar when it comes to the frame, suspension, and parts. So looking for a particular bike is probably unnecessary.

But I would definitely look for a hardtail, not a full suspension bike. Besides there are few places within 100 miles you "need" full suspension (the Clear Springs trails in Homochitto Forest in MS has some roots but is still better on a hardtail), full suspension bikes under $1500 are garbage.

As for local shops, this is pretty far, but I used to work at Bicycle Michaels in New Orleans, and no one in Louisiana knows more about mountain biking.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Sanjuro speaks the truth- you need to spend considerably more money to get a good FS bike and if your body and trails don't require one, then stick with a hardtail. The VRX bike may be okay for now, but it is very dated and probably wasn't even a really good frame in it's own time. But it probably won't kill you either.