Quantcast

Noob!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK, here's the deal... I rode BMX about 20 years ago, but have done nothing but big bikes since. DH, FR, XC, jumping, trials, road, you name it I can at least do it half assed on a bike.

Now on a whim, since they opened up an indoor skate park near my house and I'm sick of riding my road bike on rollers every damn night, I picked up a DK Cleveland BMX bike. Pretty funny, this thing cost about the same as my rear wheel on my DH bike :D

So I'm going to the skatepark tonight. What should I expect? How much different is it? I'll be sure and bring enough money for a co-pay and my insurance card, anything else I should know?

Thanks! :D

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
WATCH OUT FOR EVERYONE!

seriously, if you've been riding for along time I'm guessing you've had your share of crashes. you pay attention to what is around you and make sure you don't ride too far over your head.

alot of the people at the park don't/won't have the same experience and AREN'T paying attention.

I have seen so many collisions and have been in a few myself. they suck.

other than that, pay attention to the flow of the park, if everyone is riding in a counter clockwise direction, follow them. in other words, don't just ride all over hell, be a part of the flow.

respect the other riders (I know I don't have to say this....)

it is a tad bit different than other types of riding only because your on a solid, squirrly(sp?) bike.

start small.

have fun.

rbx

Monkey
yeah watch out for roller bladders i almost killed one last winter going down a vert...

but seriously a did the same thing as you last winter(our winters last 8months up here in canada) and i had the time of my life really fun passing those long boring winter night!!! and you get really get into shape hauling around a 38lbs bike up verts:)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
OK, I admit it, I have been ogling BMX bikes.
What would be a good entry level ride?
What wheel size?

J
I have been wondering about that too, I have seen some nice entry level Specialized, and Copeland's Sports had some Hoffmans for like 2 bills.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
well the wheel size all depends on how tall you are/or how big you want your bike.

the hoffmans at copelands are really nice. i would ride one with all stock parts except for cranks.

(thats because i already have 3 peice cranks on my bmx)

another thing to look for is DK they have good bikes also.

:D :cool: :)

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
I have seen some nice entry level Specialized, and Copeland's Sports had some Hoffmans for like 2 bills.
If I were you, I'd look more at the 3 bills range. I just stripped my old 2 bills frame to build a new bike, and am only reusing like half the parts. A $300-400 bike will get you decent 3 piece cranks and a good solid wheelset. I just spent $140 on new wheels and $75 (dirt cheap deal, expect to pay more than that) on Profile 3-pieces. It's a lot easier and cheaper to spend a little extra money up front than to buy expensive parts for a cheap bike later on.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
www.danscomp.com

www.albes.com

both have good deals on full bikes.

if you spent like $450.00 (less than the forks on your current bike)
you'll have a bike that will hold up well and will have a decent re-sale value if you decide you don't want to ride it in 3 months.