Quantcast

NORBA racing in Texas

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
just got back and have a bunch of photos of the 1st pro lap (left my extra memory card in the truck so i only got the 1st lap) but this will give you an idea of how messy it was here is a semi-pro finish.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
hot set up for rain racing not the sram power link on the cable in case of chain failure and the zip ties on the gripshift for muddy traction (i coulda used this on saturday during my race)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I am waiting to see how my buds did... one was on a SS and the other was racing 30-34 Sport... Both are on the PedalMasher Team.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
a girl i was in high school with is on the PedalMasher team. man, was it weird seeing her sportin' the PM gear.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Two of our three local racers (a Sport and a SS'er) bagged the race while on the way over to TX. The other local managed to place well in the Beginner cat of his age Class.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Wumpus said:
All the classes do the same distant.

The rulebook says a marathon is between 37-62 miles(60 to 100K) and over 62 miles is an ultramarathon distant.

cool/thanks

Hmm.....what should I do at mount Snow - too many decisions (XC? DH? Super D? Marathon?)

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
the undoing of Hello Kitty Col de Supergrind

outa 50 that started in my class 40-49 mens Sport only 35 finished and i got 22nd i got a great start somewhere in the top 10 up the first climb and stayed in the lead group till we got in to some traffic of catching other riders in earlier classes before the big "supergrind" there is some gnarly switchbacks that i totally PUNKED the 4 or 5 other riders that i had chasing me right before we went down it, by the time i got to the bottom i had a nice fat gap that was erased 1/2 up the supergrind not only did all those riders catch me i had a total of 10 racers pass me going up this mutha!! :angry:

this is how eveyone looked just after the 1st lap !!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
that is a huge field comapred to the xc races I do.........plus that looks like way too much pavement for an xc race :confused:

and good job!! :thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
douglas said:
cool/thanks

Hmm.....what should I do at mount Snow - too many decisions (XC? DH? Super D? Marathon?)
there was also a Half marathon distance i'm not sure if everyone will offer that though.

I did the full marathon on friday then did the XC on saturday. I also got hammered friday night after the marathon becuase i had decided not to race the XC. Saturday i got up and said what the hell i'm here it's here. doing these back to back wasnt that bad.
this marathon course was WAY harder than last year. I finished last years in 5:01 but this year's was 6:17. very tough.
saturday i felt a little hung over but went out and was able to push pretty hard.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
douglas said:
that is a huge field comapred to the xc races I do.........plus that looks like way too much pavement for an xc race :confused:

and good job!! :thumb:
that was only a half mile and it was a 15% grade but dont be fooled it is a PURE west texas XC course.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
douglas said:
that is a huge field comapred to the xc races I do.........plus that looks like way too much pavement for an xc race
the rain and muck kept many away or it woulda been a larger turn out three years ago at a "local" TMBRA series we had 96 riders start in the mens sport 35-39 class you could already see the leadgroup sprinting away while your waiting behind 40 or 50 other riders just waiting to get cliped in to go. it was depressing knowing that you had no chance whatsoever to get in to the top 10 when your on the 4th from last row, we ususally get a good turn out here at our Texas races but noting like the 800-1100 racers of days of old maybe 450-600 is a good weekend now days.

that was the ONLY pavement the trails are 90% technical singletrack and here are the details about the Col de Supergrind 0.4 mi long, with a 320 ft elevation gain and it's a 15% grade

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Hello Kitty said:
that was the ONLY pavement the trails are 90% technical singletrack and here are the details about the Col de Supergrind 0.4 mi long, with a 320 ft elevation gain and it's a 15% grade

= :dead:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'm cracking up at the comments over on the TMBRA board about PedalMasher squirting chains with water from a squeeze bottle....

:p

I though this was a common practice though... it always happens in the feed zones over at Ruston when it is muddy.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
96 riders in sport 35-39................HOLY ****!!!

we usually have around 15 (on a good day)

so what was the tempature for these races? (muddy & warm :D, muddy & cold, :dead: )

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
douglas said:
96 riders in sport 35-39................HOLY ****!!!

we usually have around 15 (on a good day)
even in our "off season" Fall Cup series where the attendance goes down we still get 30+ riders

douglas said:
so what was the tempature for these races? (muddy & warm :D, muddy & cold, :dead: )
friday i pre-rode wearing knee warmers and a arm warmers and a vest and got hot saturday i started the race wearing just my regular team kit and by the end of the race i was shivering cold i guess you could say the race started out muddy and rainy then got muddy and cold for the pros races on sunday i was wearing a old barn jacket that we keep in the truck just incase.