Quantcast

NORBA Vet Pro Class

What would you prefer the minimum age to be for a Vet Pro Class?

• 30 years old

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • 35 years old

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • 40 years old

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Just put this together at the last minute. I have until 7:30pm PT tonight to get your signature so I can send this to NORBA via Fed-Ex. T-minus 6 hours.

I need your signature on the attached proposal in an attempt to get NORBA to add a Vet Pro Category. In order for NORBA to consider the proposal, they need it by September 1st. I know, I know, nothing like the last minute.

This is what I'm asking of you if you support this idea:
- Please sign the letter on the "proposal supporter" page; don't forget to include your NORBA number.
- Then FAX the signature page to me at 949-265-2542. No cover page is needed as this is my work's PC fax and it comes directly to me. If you get the chance, please mail your original to me at 871 Oak Glen, Irvine, CA 92618.
- Also, PLEASE FORWARD THIS ONTO any fellow racers I did not include in the email distribution list. The more supporters the better.

If anyone knows a USA Cycling Club member or Event Organizer that would be willing to put their signature on this proposal, please pass it on or let me know. I have one lined up, but just in case . . . .

If you have anything you'd like to add to the letter that would help NORBA agree to the proposal, please PM it to me I'll see add it to the letter.

Here is the link to the '05 rulebook. Go to #7 Amendements to see the guideline for this proposal: http://www.usacycling.org/forms/2005_NORBA_rulebook.pdf

Thanks,
Aaron

P.S. Please PM me if have any questions

9/1/05 - I added a poll to get as much input as possible in hopes of providing NORBA the best information in case this comes to fruition. I know I should've done this before, but with NORBA's deadline of 9/1, I was lucky to get the proposal in on time.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Done! I have always felt that NORBA needs change their classes. I would like to see a lot more changes than just a Vet class.

I feel that NORBA needs to automatically move riders up. As sad as it is, there are a lot of riders who have been racing beginner and sport classes for years, which is really weak. NORBA should have the same rules as the ABA, once you win a certain amount of races or get a certain amount of top 5 finishes, you should be moved up.

In addition, they need to do something with the semi-pro class.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
blt2ride said:
Done! I have always felt that NORBA needs change their classes. I would like to see a lot more changes than just a Vet class.

I feel that NORBA needs to automatically move riders up. As sad as it is, there are a lot of riders who have been racing beginner and sport classes for years, which is really weak. NORBA should have the same rules as the ABA, once you win a certain amount of races or get a certain amount of top 5 finishes, you should be moved up.

In addition, they need to do something with the semi-pro class.
Much appreciated blt2ride!

I agree, I have tons of ideas, but much of it goes right through the ears of those who are in a position to do something about it, so I'm taking the "right" path to try and do something that is most passionate to me. The NBL, where I used to work, has move-up rules as well, and is easily managed. This system was introduced to NORBA and USA Cycling back in '96-97, but they didn't want to touch it as they thought it would cost them money. In reality, it wouldn't cost them a thing as it's just a program that the NBL could've let NORBA use since they are all under the same USA Cycling umbrella. I could go on, and on, and on . . . . .

I would love the semi-pro class to get a DH qualifying run. I liked doing the "mandatory practice" run at Mt. Snow.

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Very well writen.. I hope this get approved, and when I turne 35 in two more years, I'll come back and race.. Until then.. Brrrrrrraaaahhhhhppppp!... Signing and faxing now...

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Aaron, fax on it's way!

Hopefully they will listen (insert sarcasm here)

Plus, because you will have to be qualified for this class (like Semi-Pro)it will keep all those slow turds like 2W4s off the race course so we can have better practice ; )

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Pbody said:
Just put this together at the last minute. I have until 7:30pm PT tonight to get your signature so I can send this to NORBA via Fed-Ex. T-minus 6 hours.

I need your signature on the attached proposal in an attempt to get NORBA to add a Vet Pro Category. In order for NORBA to consider the proposal, they need it by September 1st. I know, I know, nothing like the last minute.

This is what I'm asking of you if you support this idea:
- Please sign the letter on the "proposal supporter" page; don't forget to include your NORBA number.
- Then FAX the signature page to me at 949-265-2542. No cover page is needed as this is my work's PC fax and it comes directly to me. If you get the chance, please mail your original to me at 871 Oak Glen, Irvine, CA 92618.
- Also, PLEASE FORWARD THIS ONTO any fellow racers I did not include in the email distribution list. The more supporters the better.

If anyone knows a USA Cycling Club member or Event Organizer that would be willing to put their signature on this proposal, please pass it on or let me know. I have one lined up, but just in case . . . .

If you have anything you'd like to add to the letter that would help NORBA agree to the proposal, please PM it to me I'll see add it to the letter.

Here is the link to the '05 rulebook. Go to #7 Amendements to see the guideline for this proposal: http://www.usacycling.org/forms/2005_NORBA_rulebook.pdf

Thanks,
Aaron

P.S. Please PM me if have any questions

listed below are the general requirements that I believe would be ideal to make one eligible to compete in the Vet Pro Category:

(1) Open to racers aged 35 and older who have previously held an Expert, Semi-Pro, or Pro license.
(2) Pro or Semi-Pro riders may request to enter the Vet Pro category after attending a minimum of 3 National Events during a race season without placing in the Top 20 or one full year’s absence from any competition.
(3) Expert riders may request to enter the Vet Pro Category under the same requirements that Experts must meet to move to the Semi-Pro Category.

so you are 35 next year? lol

uci designates a master/vet at 30+ why change it.

why not make it 40+?

(3) over 30 prp/semi/Expert riders may request to enter the Vet Pro Category under the same requirements that Experts must meet to move to the Semi-Pro Category.

this should be the only req.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
Great idea. I raced you last year in Exp, but didn't move up and expert is getting a bit boring. There are always 2-5 really fast guys, then a bunch of not-so-fast people, so it might be easier to progress in a faster class. When I look at my times relative to the semi's though, I'd be somewhere in the middle at most races, and pretty much the oldest guy in the class.

I'm trying to fax you the page, but the line is busy, so hopefully you are getting a good response.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
hucked2bend said:
Plus, because you will have to be qualified for this class (like Semi-Pro)it will keep all those slow turds like 2W4s off the race course so we can have better practice ; )
Pipe down, Sally. Are you already drunk? :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
bcd said:

over 30 prp/semi/Expert riders may request to enter the Vet Pro Category under the same requirements that Experts must meet to move to the Semi-Pro Category.

this should be the only req.

I agree.....D

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
BMXman said:
I agree.....D
there needs to be a vet pro class,
but there needs to be some concisest.
on what should be sent to norba.

alex morgan "legends national champ"

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
ChrisKring said:
Can I fax this direct to Norba in the morning?
Sure, it can't hurt. Of course I'd send all 3 pages, perhaps with a cover letter asking them to add it to the proposal I sent out via Fed-Ex today since they'll be wondering what the hell it's for.

It looks like the best fax no. to use would be 719.866.4628, which is USA Cycling's main fax no.

Thanks for the support!
A

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
bcd said:
there needs to be a vet pro class,
but there needs to be some concisest.
on what should be sent to norba.

alex morgan "legends national champ"
hey btw there is a spelling error on your site...where you have the scrolling message...D

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
bcd said:
so you are 35 next year? lol

why not make it 40+?
Yep, I'll be 35 next year. But under my suggested guidelines, I wouldn't even qualify for Vet Pro. It's just something I think the sport really needs for a great number of reasons. And if I want to stay competitive and have fun, it will be something that will keep me in the sport in future years. Otherwise, I might have to start racing my moto, which isn't a bad option but I really like pinning it downhill.

As for why not 40+ or 30+, it mostly has to do with the feedback that I got from most of the people I know and talk to at races and compete against. 35 seemed to be the most accepted. I thought 30 would be better too, in keeping with the definition of NORBA's and UCI's "Masters" designation for 30+ racers, but I also think that 30-34 year olds can still be competitive. Look at current pros, Lopes, King, Carter, etc. Look at road racing and the peloton is full of competitive 30-34 year olds. So I went with 35, but ultimately it will be up to NORBA. I just hope they consider it and do something with it.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
LaytonDH said:
Great idea. I raced you last year in Exp, but didn't move up and expert is getting a bit boring. There are always 2-5 really fast guys, then a bunch of not-so-fast people, so it might be easier to progress in a faster class. When I look at my times relative to the semi's though, I'd be somewhere in the middle at most races, and pretty much the oldest guy in the class.

I'm trying to fax you the page, but the line is busy, so hopefully you are getting a good response.
I remember, I kept my eyes on the class this year to see how everyone did. I got your fax, thanks for sending it over. I did get a good response, even better than I anticipated, especially since it was so last minute. With the responses I got, it made me even more glad that I made the time to get this done at the last minute.

Your feedback above is exactly why I think it would be such a good idea for Vet Pro. I truly feel that it would keep more guys involved in the sport. I got the same feedback from a few others today. So we just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone who faxed over your signature. Just so you know, I received everyone's fax who said they were sending it over.

I received over 20 signatures which definitely filled their quota of only 5, but more importantly most of you who responded fit the "demographic" for Vet Pro. I just hope it doesn't go on deaf ears.

I will post an update in the future if I hear anything.

Aaron

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Pbody said:
Yep, I'll be 35 next year. But under my suggested guidelines, I wouldn't even qualify for Vet Pro. It's just something I think the sport really needs for a great number of reasons. And if I want to stay competitive and have fun, it will be something that will keep me in the sport in future years. Otherwise, I might have to start racing my moto, which isn't a bad option but I really like pinning it downhill.

As for why not 40+ or 30+, it mostly has to do with the feedback that I got from most of the people I know and talk to at races and compete against. 35 seemed to be the most accepted. I thought 30 would be better too, in keeping with the definition of NORBA's and UCI's "Masters" designation for 30+ racers, but I also think that 30-34 year olds can still be competitive. Look at current pros, Lopes, King, Carter, etc. Look at road racing and the peloton is full of competitive 30-34 year olds. So I went with 35, but ultimately it will be up to NORBA. I just hope they consider it and do something with it.

yeah, i had less drive to race this year being a mid pack pro
and racing with the kids.

that is why i did no NCS this year and will not be at mammoth.

i agree that there are fast 35+ riders out there. but if they can win
in pro they will stay there. but for riders like kyle ebbet, jason sigfreid,
phil tinsman, and orlando martinez just to name a few, i think 30+ would fit in better. the class would have some large fields.

legends class last year had to many restrictions and inappropriately named. thus its demise. i am no legend but nether was the only two riders with me a mammoths legends class last year, phil tinsman and
gene hamilton. IT should have been named vet pro and
it would be here this year.

to compete is masters world you can't have a competed in a world
cup. i think that should be the only restriction to a under 30 vet pro too.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Pbody said:
Tell me more . . . . ."legends national champ"?
http://www.usacycling.org/results/index.php?year=2004&id=1575&info_id=3220

they refer to it as masters pro in the results.

phil flated other wise it would have been close.

in pro i would have got 30th behind joe lawill, another canidate for vet pro.

others "vet pro" riders:

32 - Jeff Evans who was at worlds this year
32 - Shaums March
32 - Karl Rogne
32 - Philip Tinstman
33 - Tim Krentz
33- Forrest Arakawa
33 - Jamas Stiber
33 - Derrick Nobman
34 - Mark Weir
34 - Michael Town
34 - Kyle Ebbett
35 - Lars Tribus
35 - David Beeson
35 - Matthew Thompson
36 - joe lawill
37 - Chris Rowen
37 - Robert Sears
38 - Eric Rasmussen
38 - Derin Stockton
39 - John Tomac
40 - Darrell Young
40 - Gene Hamilton
42 - Louis DeAngelis who is a legend!
43 - Orlando Martinez - legend

there are more i am sure

i think the larger the feild the more people will want to race it.

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
bcd said:

others "vet pro" riders:

32 - Shaums March
32 - Karl Rogne
32 - Philip Tinstman
33 - Tim Krentz
33- Forrest Arakawa
33 - Jamas Stiber
33 - Derrick Nobman
34 - Mark Weir
34 - Michael Town
34 - Kyle Ebbett
35 - Lars Tribus
35 - David Beeson
35 - Matthew Thompson
36 - joe lawill
37 - Chris Rowen
37 - Robert Sears
38 - Eric Rasmussen
38 - Derin Stockton
39 - John Tomac
40 - Darrell Young
40 - Gene Hamilton

there are more i am sure

That is a pretty stacked feild of riders.... I'll get my ass kicked just as bad in Vet Pro as I would in pro!.... :D

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Bumpity Bump Bump . . . . . . . Poll added so go ahead and vote in case NORBA allows this to come to fruition.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
For those who want to know, I just got this email back from Shawn Farrell, Technical Director at USA Cycling, after asking what the latest news was to add the Vet Pro category.

"Hi Aaron, the proposals were both discussed at length at the meeting, but the board decided there were not enough competitors to warrant those categories. It is possible that in some regions this is not so, but the board felt that across the country that would just dilute fields that are already too small."

Personally, I think it's BS. As usual, this is just like NORBA and USAC with their unwillingness to take chances to grow the sport. They are so nearsighted that they don't see that more people are leaving the racing scene than joining. They need to find ways to keep people coming back to races and new people to start hitting the races. They just don't get it. And this comes from personal experience after working for USAC for 2 years, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry, just frustrated. . . . .

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Pbody said:
For those who want to know, I just got this email back from Shawn Farrell, Technical Director at USA Cycling, after asking what the latest news was to add the Vet Pro category.

"Hi Aaron, the proposals were both discussed at length at the meeting, but the board decided there were not enough competitors to warrant those categories. It is possible that in some regions this is not so, but the board felt that across the country that would just dilute fields that are already too small."

Personally, I think it's BS. As usual, this is just like NORBA and USAC with their unwillingness to take chances to grow the sport. They are so nearsighted that they don't see that more people are leaving the racing scene than joining. They need to find ways to keep people coming back to races and new people to start hitting the races. They just don't get it. And this comes from personal experience after working for USAC for 2 years, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry, just frustrated. . . . .
DIE THREAD DIE!
If you are pro...race pro...if you aren't .....race Vet.
Now, somebody delete this silly thread. I'm 33 and "Pro" and at 33 the only thing I can be pro at is NASCAR, F1 and the PGA Tour.....

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
figures.....i'm done with norba.

i will not renew unless i am doing worlds.

crappers

bcd said:

others "vet pro" riders:

32 - Shaums March
32 - Karl Rogne
32 - Philip Tinstman
33 - Tim Krentz
33- Forrest Arakawa
33 - Jamas Stiber
33 - Derrick Nobman
34 - Mark Weir
34 - Michael Town
34 - Kyle Ebbett
35 - Lars Tribus
35 - David Beeson
35 - Matthew Thompson
36 - joe lawill
37 - Chris Rowen
37 - Robert Sears
38 - Eric Rasmussen
38 - Derin Stockton
39 - John Tomac
40 - Darrell Young
40 - Gene Hamilton

there are more i am sure

Anybody know if Tim Krentz is still racing? HAven't seen him around NorCal much in the past few years....

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Internal14 said:
Anybody know if Tim Krentz is still racing? HAven't seen him around NorCal much in the past few years....
Tim says he's done with racing for now. He is just enjoying riding his bike, not such a bad thing. He would be a threat in the Vet Pro class if such a thing exsisted and he chose to race...
I think the Vet Pro class is a great idea, I know a number of older (35+) riders who would support such a class.

SCARY

Not long enough
Who do they think has enough disposable income to do this sport and would love to be called "pro"?Are you kidding?It could revitalize the sport -especially with the prospect of a pro purse payout.-.......oh..wait..err.......hmm.Ten bucks this is no longer a sanctioned sport in 5years.------oooh, thats a pro payout

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
SCARY said:
Who do they think has enough disposable income to do this sport and would love to be called "pro"?Are you kidding?It could revitalize the sport -especially with the prospect of a pro purse payout.-.......oh..wait..err.......hmm.Ten bucks this is no longer a sanctioned sport in 5years.------oooh, thats a pro payout
don't you have a mane to condition Zeus?