Quantcast

Norcal/northstar locals and visitors: Make your voice heard

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm copying this over here since the norcal forum sees much less traffic.

4x/ds course at northstar - who wants it ?

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228011

guy from northstar said:
for all you reading this and not chimming in if you do want a dual and 4x at northstar post a response. the big bosses who get to actually say yay or nay at northstar do frequent these forums.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
I just posted in the other thread, but i'll cast my ballot two times.

a DS course, with races being held the same weekends as DH races, would be a huge source of income for the resort.

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
a huge source of income for the resort.
doubt it.

I would suggest a 4x course, dual is rad and all but thats not what we should set up our athletes for. 4x is stick in WC most likely so a 4x track would make more sense.

The course at collegiate nats was pretty cool but I think to make it a dedicated 4x track the straight need to be twice as wide, which may be extremely card considering the steepness of the hill.

northstar seems to put a ton into terrain (irrigation most notably on livewire) so I think if they do, do it. It will be pretty rad. and I would definitely ride/race it next time im out on the left coast.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
doubt it.

I would suggest a 4x course, dual is rad and all but thats not what we should set up our athletes for. 4x is stick in WC most likely so a 4x track would make more sense.

The course at collegiate nats was pretty cool but I think to make it a dedicated 4x track the straight need to be twice as wide, which may be extremely card considering the steepness of the hill.

northstar seems to put a ton into terrain (irrigation most notably on livewire) so I think if they do, do it. It will be pretty rad. and I would definitely ride/race it next time im out on the left coast.
Yeah, i'm with you there. I was thinking on more of a local as opposed to global scale. s

The 4x course would be awsome indeed, but I think, realistically, a slalom course has a much larger chance of being built vs. 4x for this season. Believe you me, I love racing 4x, and i thought live wire was rad for the collegiate course, but knowing about the erosion/enviromental stuff N* deals with in the summer months, i doubt that much earth could be moved in time for this season!

I'm all for any changes! Gated racing! wooo!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If I visited northstar, I'd ride it. Either one would be great. Progress the sport!

Not sure if lightning closes your lifts like ours in CO so seemingly often, but something to session while the lifts are shut down would be nice.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Hell yes, I can't wait to ride N* again next summer! I think i got 18 days in last summer, I would love make it more this summer and having new trails and Slalom/4x would make it a lot easier. That being said, I hope N* spends more time and money on trail maintenance, too, new stuff is nice but not when everything else is blown out. Does anybody know if the mountain is planning to add any staff this year?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not sure if lightning closes your lifts like ours in CO so seemingly often, but something to session while the lifts are shut down would be nice.
Every ski lift in the country has to shut down in lightning. We don't get the summer storms that CO does, so it's pretty rare. But even on crowded weekends, having something like that would be a good option for sure.

Thanks for everyone speaking up in that other thread. We need to take advantage when we know someone is listening.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
I would love to see a DS course up there with races on Saturday nights or something like that.Myself,and about 10 other people I know would FORSURE pay to race some DS.
I'd be marginally less excited to see a 4x course/races,but i'd still be pretty psyched to race my hardtail on weekends.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
If you want entries/$$, then Slalom will give you headcount. More people are willing to ride/compete when they don't have to worry about elbows in the corners.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'd even help dig the thing if it would help. I'm fat and I can throw dirt.
And this would cement my need to buy a 4x bike. Really, if N* did this they'd be helping to boost the economy.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Hmmm, would I rather have money go into more DH trails? Or into a slalom track so the existing DH trails will be even emptier. Decisions, decisions.

If you do build a gated racing track, DO NOT build a 4x. Just build a DS track with big huge jumps. 99% of people would rather race DS than 4x, but still want big jumps and features, not just tiny berms on a sloping grass field.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hmmm, would I rather have money go into more DH trails? Or into a slalom track so the existing DH trails will be even emptier. Decisions, decisions.
Let me help:

You want ANY improvement to the mountain that brings more visitors pumping up the budget and financial feasibility of running a profitable mountain bike park. Because all else follows.

You're welcome :D

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Let me help:

You want ANY improvement to the mountain that brings more visitors pumping up the budget and financial feasibility of running a profitable mountain bike park. Because all else follows.

You're welcome :D
Ha ha, very true. Northstar is a pretty rad place. More anything is good :thumb:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
DS/4x would be cool, but what would really get me up there more is something long and STEEP. IE - build a world cup level trail from the top of Pluto or Lookout. Give me something like Velocity or Bullet and I'd spend more time at Northstar.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
DS/4x would be cool, but what would really get me up there more is something long and STEEP. IE - build a world cup level trail from the top of Pluto or Lookout. Give me something like Velocity or Bullet and I'd spend more time at Northstar.
I'm not sure what you consider steep but understand that you can't really do truly sustained fall line steep stuff at northstar. You know what the dirt does. All the regulatory agencies that oversee any and everything northstar does throw a hissy fit every time a poof of dust gets water on it and heads in the general direction of the truckee river.

That said......you could easily build something like velocity or bullet because even those aren't really that sustained in the steeper parts. They're just a really good drawn out grade that lets you haul ass and stay off the brakes. Steep generally doesn't mean fast for the general riding public. Steep means brake skidding and more wear. Just think about how the vietnam and waterfall sections have changed over the years. They're fairly steep but now there's just no dirt left in them and it's basically a rut between boulders......also not good for erosion and drainage.

Personally I think just getting rid of the shltty turns all over the place on those trails would make them feel steeper because you could open it up for longer stretches. To me that's much more relevant than just steepness alone.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Personally I think just getting rid of the shltty turns all over the place on those trails would make them feel steeper because you could open it up for longer stretches. To me that's much more relevant than just steepness alone.
Agreed - that's probably putting it better; give us more speed.

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Down with this, they are going to need something for the Pro GRT anyway I would think. I would like to see the 4X for a place to practice/race. The DS course would probably get more season long use. If they could put it someplace that fans could easily watch and they would not have to completely flatten it during the winter it would be cool. Maybe Saturday night DS before DH Sundays as part of the regular series? Maybe hire hacksaw and his Bobcat up for a few days would be a worthy spend to support the regular trail crew, to get things rolling so to speak.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
doubt it.

Ummmm, pretty sure the majority of their customers are NOT looking to become WC pros, they're just trying to have fun. DS races will be MUCH better for that, no question. Besides unless the actual racers are at a WC level, 4x is boring. And even at the WC level its extremely boring half the time to watch.