Quantcast

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Aesthetically more pleasing than their previous offering, that's for sure! The seatstays look like they've still got a wonky bend to them though?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Looks really nice, but also looks just like a trek, giant, kona. I like the integrated fork stops. Wonder what the price point is?

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
People seem to judge these bikes way too much on looks alone. The Team DH bikes have always ridden extremely well and have always been durable and trouble free (for me at least). The new proto looks sick and I'm sure it will be a blast to shed.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Doesn't surprise me, I think Giant makes the frames for Kona and Trek. Looks they also make the Norco too.
Just because Giant may manufactures the frame, doesn't mean they had any input in the design.

Also, "looking like" is so vague. Everything looks like something.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Just because Giant may manufactures the frame, doesn't mean they had any input in the design.

Also, "looking like" is so vague. Everything looks like something.
Giant may not have any input into the design but you can guarantee that they have 'a lot' of input into the manufacturing. Most companies walk a fine line between design and manufacturing, some companies will tweak designs to work better with a working design to increase profit margins. There's nothing wrong with that idea, all the companies I know are in business to make money (that's kind of why they exist, to make money :eek: ;)).

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Giant may not have any input into the design but you can guarantee that they have 'a lot' of input into the manufacturing. Most companies walk a fine line between design and manufacturing, some companies will tweak designs to work better with a working design to increase profit margins. There's nothing wrong with that idea, all the companies I know are in business to make money (that's kind of why they exist, to make money :eek: ;)).
haha, if the DH bike industry was really into that kind of manufacturing cost-cutting, we wouldn't be using hydroformed tubes, forgings etc, and our bikes wouldn't cost $3000+.

To whoever said it, I don't see anything on that bike that remotely resembles a Lapierre other than the fork stops...

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
has anybody noticed that the new dh models seem to be toned down, minimalistic, and sleeker in a sexy way? Kinda like peoples preference to cars and homes (in the usa anyways).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
To whoever said it, I don't see anything on that bike that remotely resembles a Lapierre other than the fork stops...
The Lapierre is polished. The Norco is polished. Cut and dry case of patent infringement.

Tdubb

Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
A big improvement in my eyes.Norco is a great company and now by the looks of the new design I will finally be interested in there dh bike.I have a few riding buddies that just got the new Ranges and the are really stoked on them.It looks like the proto have the type linkage.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The seat stay bend is for tire clearence
I don't think so. Looks like it'd have a near vertical axle path, and the tyre wouldn't get any closer. I may well be wrong, hard to see the main pivot height, but horst links lowish in relation to axle, so chainstay would lengthen a bit.
I like the idea of integrated for bumpers. Why don't more manufacturers do that?
Ditto, great idea. BMW had em years ago.

Just because Giant may manufactures the frame, doesn't mean they had any input in the design. .
The manufacturer may have recomended certain desings to cater to the manufacturing techniques, and technoligy. Having them all look similer would also aid in any brand geting an edge in looks, so keeps the playing field "fair"/equal shares in profits. LOL.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
The Lapierre is polished. The Norco is polished. Cut and dry case of patent infringement.
This Norco is a proto. I don't think it will be offered in RAW/polished version. At least not as it now. Good C&G may decrease or increse sales, even in this segment of products.

The manufacturer may have recomended certain desings to cater to the manufacturing techniques, and technoligy. Having them all look similer would also aid in any brand geting an edge in looks, so keeps the playing field "fair"/equal shares in profits. LOL.
I don't know about other manufacturers, but Giant check the design of the frame client wants to order at Giant plant. If it may fail, Giant says it. Some clients change the design, others don't. It does NOT mean Norco is Giant client. At lest I know nothing about it.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I like the idea of integrated for bumpers. Why don't more manufacturers do that?
+1

has anybody noticed that the new dh models seem to be toned down, minimalistic, and sleeker in a sexy way? Kinda like peoples preference to cars and homes (in the usa anyways).
Wait, what? I don't know what your reference is but cars and homes in the US are not sleek and minimalistic. Maybe I missed your sarcasm here...

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I don't think so. Looks like it'd have a near vertical axle path, and the tyre wouldn't get any closer. I may well be wrong, hard to see the main pivot height, but horst links lowish in relation to axle, so chainstay would lengthen a bit.
I'm pretty sure the seatstay curves to give maximum tire clearance while giving maximum clearance for the foot when pedaling. I'm not sure what you're thinking of with the axle path. Seat tube clearance?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm pretty sure the seatstay curves to give maximum tire clearance while giving maximum clearance for the foot when pedaling. I'm not sure what you're thinking of with the axle path. Seat tube clearance?
Just looking at the swingarm and tyre, I can't picture it coming that far forward. I'd guess the seat tube is vertical at the bottom so the swingarm brace doesn't fowl on the seat tube, and for ease in mouning linkage plates, and for keeping smooth lines, and getting the seat back. the higher the seat the further back it goes, meaning the bigger the rider, the further back the seat.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Just looking at the swingarm and tyre, I can't picture it coming that far forward. I'd guess the seat tube is vertical at the bottom so the swingarm brace doesn't fowl on the seat tube, and for ease in mouning linkage plates, and for keeping smooth lines, and getting the seat back. the higher the seat the further back it goes, meaning the bigger the rider, the further back the seat.
Seat stay =/= seat tube. :D

Pretty sure the seat tube is bent so they can put the rocker arm there without having to put an extra brace. This frame is looking to be pretty light. Though that chainstay is looking pretty skinny. In fact the whole rear triangle on it doesn't look on-par with others, even treks.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
+1

Wait, what? I don't know what your reference is but cars and homes in the US are not sleek and minimalistic. Maybe I missed your sarcasm here...
Tried to keep it short and not go way O.T., but...Older dh bikes (like the v10 among others) were massive beasts. It was a time of "bigger is better." More travel, big hucks, big tires, 12" travel forks, bender ruled, etc. At the same time cars and houses were getting bigger. Blinged out Hummers were the thing to have, and the phrase Mcmansion appeared.

Fast forward 5 years. The larger developers are building smaller homes to fit the new tastes and budget of buyers (see KB's or Pardees new selection) and car makers are introducing smaller vehicles to great success. I just though it was interesting that bikes followed a simialr path. I admit that its a stretch:rolleyes:
Hijack over, sorry.:D

Last edited:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I thought I read somewhere that Norco's new interpretation of FSR (ART????) has a rearward (initialy) axle path, before then going vertical.
I like the currebt DH Team, but there's no denying the prototype is very clean looking. Hopefully it works as good as the old one.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
:rofl::rofl:

Looks like the it may have a floating shock similar to the Sessions too. It does look nicer than the last couple of versions even if it is just about the same as everything else out on the market at the moment (appearance wise).

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Fairly sure whoever said that would have been referring to the integrated seatpost clamp, which I've only ever seen on a Lapierre before (in the DH world; very common on road bikes).

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Tried to keep it short and not go way O.T., but...Older dh bikes (like the v10 among others) were massive beasts. It was a time of "bigger is better." More travel, big hucks, big tires, 12" travel forks, bender ruled, etc. At the same time cars and houses were getting bigger. Blinged out Hummers were the thing to have, and the phrase Mcmansion appeared.

Fast forward 5 years. The larger developers are building smaller homes to fit the new tastes and budget of buyers (see KB's or Pardees new selection) and car makers are introducing smaller vehicles to great success. I just though it was interesting that bikes followed a simialr path. I admit that its a stretch:rolleyes:
Hijack over, sorry.:D
Just a wild guess but maybe the economy had something to do with smaller cars and houses?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
or the americans finally realize that the european way is the better one? (rhetorical question, never gonna happen...)
It's a product of the economy. The majority of Americans no longer have huge lines of home equity credit to spend on enormous gas guzzling SUVs. I work for a national homebuilder and our best selling products in the last 3 years have been our smaller more modest homes. Some Americans are starting to realize they need to purchase within their means rather than always trying to out due the Smith's across the street. But I digress...

On topic: Love the clean lines of the frame, first Norco in ages I can actually say that about. Before I opened the thread I was half expecting to see that Astro frame that seems to pop up every 3 days.