Quantcast

Norco going all in on bike setup

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Just bought a Sight for the wife. Looked around for recommended shock settings on their website and apparently, Norco has a whole web tool that spits out how to setup your new norco... all the way down to how wide your bars should be and what tire pressure to run front and rear.

here's what it gave me for the wife's bike below... I'm not sure she'll be willing to go back to 760mm bars after running 780 for so long.

Bike Setup
Sight C2 SRAM 29", Size M / L Recommended
Front Tire Pressure
18 psi
Rear Tire Pressure
21 psi
Bar Width
760 mm
Bar Rise
25 mm
Stem Spacers
15 mm
Stem Length
40 mm
Fork Setup
2021 RockShox Lyrik Ultimate 160mm
Stock air volume is 2T
Air Pressure
56 psi
Air Volume
1 T
Rebound
7 out
LSC
18 out
HSC
4 out
Shock Setup
2021 RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ , 150mm, 185x52.5mm
Stock air volume is 2T
Air Pressure
172 psi
Air Volume
3 VS
Rebound
9 out

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Damn, that's pretty crazy! I just used Ohlins recommendations for pressure on a DH fork and it feels like a 2X4... :disgust1:

Interesting to do a comparison with setting it up blind, then seeing how settings compare to what they recommend.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
The crazy part is how close they got to my exact setup on both my Sight and Optic. I guess it helps when the
people designing the bike also rides the shit out of them.
Reading further, they recommend a shock pump with a digital gauge because 1 psi makes the difference. This is a little too much science for the amount of beer I drink while working on bikes.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That level of precision only makes sense if setting up suspension for a specific track condition on a given day.
Body weight, gear weight, etc aren’t static.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That level of precision only makes sense if setting up suspension for a specific track condition on a given day.

So you go through a full tuning exercise based on the trail/conditions/weight of your underwear every time you hop on your trailbike for a ride?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's just to make you think you think norco really knows what they're doing and get you to buy one of their bikes.

Because they really do make very well riding bikes these days but the average hack or beginner would have no way to know that.... so they need somethin else and making charts is cheaper than introducing a new rim/hub/headset/fork/grip standard

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
shock pump with a digital gauge because 1 psi makes the difference.
SO THEN!

who owns/uses a digital shock pump? what model are you using and do you recommend?
I have a DT Swiss (?) zero loss shock pump, which works, but who knows how accurate/consistent is really is.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
SO THEN!

who owns/uses a digital shock pump? what model are you using and do you recommend?
I have a DT Swiss (?) zero loss shock pump, which works, but who knows how accurate/consistent is really is.
Birthday fairy (SIL) got me the SRAM branded one this summer or it might have been for festivus...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Things like bar width are really personal preference. Tire pressure is dependent on conditions as much as it is weight and riding style. I suppose it's a nice starting point to get folks started. There is a ton of stuff we just know having been in the sport for so long.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Things like bar width are really personal preference. Tire pressure is dependent on conditions as much as it is weight and riding style. I suppose it's a nice starting point to get folks started. There is a ton of stuff we just know having been in the sport for so long.
They actually ask you what your weight and riding style is and adjust the config accordingly. The funny part is apparently the difference between "aggressive" riding and "pro" riding for my wife's setup is 1 psi of air in the suspension.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They actually ask you what your weight and riding style is and adjust the config accordingly. The funny part is apparently the difference between "aggressive" riding and "pro" riding for my wife's setup is 1 psi of air in the suspension.
Ha, 1psi. Good starting point I suppose, and tweak from there on out. Can't uncut a handlebar though!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
SO THEN!

the digital one i have is a vital branded that came in one of their gear club boxes. it looks the same as the RS and CC branded ones. not sure who manufacturers it. i like it. obv not calibrated.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Setup is serious business:

Your suspension settings take into account bar height and bar width. To start with, ensure you have the recommended amount of spacers between the headset top cap and stem, and that your handlebars are cut to the recommended width. Moving away from this will shift your weight on the bike and affect how we intend your settings to ride. Air up your tires to the recommended pressure.
To ensure you are able to get an accurate and repeatable pressure reading in your fork and shock, follow these steps when you add or remove air:
  1. Attach digital shock pump to air valve (analog gauges don’t have the accuracy needed for modern air springs).
  2. Inflate to required air pressure, in 40psi increments, equalizing at each increment. To equalize the positive and negative air chambers, cycle the fork/shock through 30% of its travel 5 times.
  3. Take an air pressure reading. It is very important to equalize the air chambers to get an accurate reading. Lift the front wheel off the ground by the handlebar, or hold the saddle elevated and to keep the rear wheel off the ground. Then check the pump gauge.
  4. As you approach your target pressure, add smaller increments of air, repeating step 3 until the required air pressure is reached.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like the Fox digital pumps. Pretty sure they're the same as the SRAM/Rockshox pumps, just different branding.

Digital or analog, since there's a margin of error on pumps I like to use the same pump every time if possible. The reading may not be totally accurate but should at least be a fairly reliable reference point.

Anyway, I think it's pretty cool for Norco to provide this tool as a way for people to at least have a ballpark starting point. Anything like this should be seen as a rough guide, and more detail seems better than the other extreme, which would be to provide zero help.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I hate shock pumps, they all suck. When you get the pressure up high you put a ton of forces on that flexible hose which starts to break after time. The spindly nature doesn't take well to cramming 300psi and IMO they are all a shitshow.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Agree they could be better, and always wondered why nobody makes a pro-level version, even if not portable. Sounds like a job for Silca!

That said, what bike/shock needs 300 psi?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Agree they could be better, and always wondered why nobody makes a pro-level version, even if not portable. Sounds like a job for Silca!

pressure gauges are generally more accurate or have tighter tolerances in the middle two quartiles of their range, and slightly larger tolerances in the lower and upper most quartiles. so for a 300psi shock, it'll be most accurate between 75 and 225 psi

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I have about 7 shock pumps-
An old Manitou with a 2" hose on it that's not good for moving around at all.
A Fox
A Devinci
A DVO
A Topek
A Bontrager
And a RS one that goes to 350psi.

2 years ago I had an issue with my fork. I wasn't sure which specific one I used before disassembling it. When I put the appropriate psi in, it seemed soft. It took a lot of pumps to get it where I needed it, so the amount that's lost form the hose shouldn't be that significant. Reattaching the hose on the same pump showed no significant loss of air.

I put the other pump on and there was a 10psi difference. Between the 6 pumps, only 2 were close. The biggest variable was 12psi.

I think the Fox, Bontrager, DVO and Devinci pumps are all the same.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

You've seen these right?

One of those gucci tool companies that makes shit to go with your bike rack makes one too. Lezyne maybe?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks but my settings do not allow me to view or consider Specialized products.
You've seen the second part of my post right?

One of those gucci tool companies that makes shit to go with your bike rack makes one too. Lezyne maybe?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Well, most reservoirs require 250-300psi, then most shocks are up to 300 or 325psi.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ha, 1psi. Good starting point I suppose, and tweak from there on out. Can't uncut a handlebar though!
Of course not... and I'm not stressing over 1 psi in air suspension either.
It depends on the fork. Most shocks 1 psi won't be anything, but forks are running less and less pressure now and small increments make a big difference. (yeah yeah coil bro). I got a RS digital shock pump just for repeatability sake. My old analogue shock pump went up to like 350psi so the accuracy around 65-75 psi is very hard to get spot on for my Zeb

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It depends on the fork. Most shocks 1 psi won't be anything, but forks are running less and less pressure now and small increments make a big difference. (yeah yeah coil bro). I got a RS digital shock pump just for repeatability sake. My old analogue shock pump went up to like 350psi so the accuracy around 65-75 psi is very hard to get spot on for my Zeb
What is this air in a shock/fork you speak of?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1psi? I mean temp and pressure changes due to altitude are going to change your suspension more...