Quantcast

North American Handmade Bicycle Show in Sac....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Nope, this will not be the kind of post you think it was going to be. Tough titties.

I find that this show begins today, and at first I really, really, really, really wanted to go. I've been to Interbike, and thought it would be a fun day to see the smaller, boutique companies and their offerings. But then I go to the site, and noticed there's a $22 fee to get in. Just to view??? Add lunch and a tank of gas and I'm not too keen on going now. After all, with that kind of $$$ spent, I would rather--

Go to Mammoth and have lunch at Giovanni's,
Get a new pair of cycling shoes, or
Pay for my entry to Sea Otter and lunch at Pizza My Heart.

My question to the RM faithful is-- what "did you want to do" that you ended up "not doing because something else made more sense"???

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You can do those other things any time you want, go to the bike show.

My senior year, instead of buying a kayak, I took a girl to prom. Eventually, I married that girl. But I haven't done any serious white water since then. :(

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I had $15k saved to move to New Zealand for a couple years after graduating from college. I lost a large grant because someone else didn't submit some forms on time and I had to use all that money to pay for the last semester of school. I have the degree, but I've still never been to New Zealand.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I wanted to go to NAHBS, had a seat in a car and a 4 day weekend to make it happen. Would have gone with Arctos Jigs so my entry was covered. Pregnant wife needing care put it on the chopping block, not to mention the sheer amount of energy needed to travel to Sac and do bike show and then drive home. Instead I am racing the Echo Red To Red in SS class tomorrow, taking it easy the rest of the weekend.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
:thumb: That didn't take long.
yep... I suppose that fits this thread too. I wanted to not get my wife pregnant so I could spend more time and money in the woods playing with bicycles and backpacks. Now she is and it makes more sense, because it was inevitable, what with all that unprotected sex and her tricking me into it when the time was right. (actually we are really excited, the woods can wait until the kiddo is ready to explore)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I went in portland a few years back and I'm glad I did. My intentions were to find tubing suppliers, jig and framebuilding tool suppliers and I did that. Not much in the way of dh or bmx at the time, but still really fun. Gotta agree with pesqueeb on this one.
And no, I haven't built a frame yet... :(

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
I went Saturday, and I wish I had planned to spend three days there. It's like Interbike without the 95% of it you hate. No crap from Taiwan. No "programs" to get on with the dealer. No Specialized, Trek, or Cannondale taking up entire ZIP Codes, just hundreds of cool bikes. For my money, the bikes outside the show were as entertaining as the bikes inside. The builders will talk as along as you want to about the bikes, and there is no pressure to get out of the way so they can talk to a buyer.

Everyone I know from 30 years in Northern California cycling was there. I went with Chris Chance from Fat Chance BITD, and we were treated pretty well. What was not to like?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
NAHMBS is pretty much all hipsters at this point.
NAHBS is a super fun gathering of good people, most of whom are doing it the right way, for the right reasons.

It's true though, some of them have skinny jeans and wear flannel shirts. There are even some bikes with one gear. You should probably stay home and post more crap about it on the internet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
NAHBS is a super fun gathering of good people, most of whom are doing it the right way, for the right reasons.

It's true though, some of them have skinny jeans and wear flannel shirts. There are even some bikes with one gear. You should probably stay home and post more crap about it on the internet.
mission accomplished! :cool:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
My friend Aaron Stinner won rookie of the year for his 29'r hardtail.
Built with a 12X142 rear end, pretty cool.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
the one way back when, although you all hate houston, was original new and cool. It was all people who made bikes by hand. no big displays and a lot of the bikes on display were customers bikes that were actually being picked up at the show. Car!os from Bikemojo has been to everyone and does a great pictorial.
http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?92187-nahbs-terbike
Thanks for the link. Always nice to see some amazing metals skills put into bicycles.