Quantcast

north CA riding

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Next week, i'll be in Monterey, Santa cruz tuesday after noon, and then mt tamalpais for like 2 days.

I'm not sure how long i'll be in Monterey. I'll probably ride in SC with black noise.

What kind of trails are at mt tamalpais?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
mtnbrider said:
Next week, i'll be in Monterey, Santa cruz tuesday after noon, and then mt tamalpais for like 2 days.

I'm not sure how long i'll be in Monterey. I'll probably ride in SC with black noise.

What kind of trails are at mt tamalpais?
The legal trails are boring, and the illegal trails are the most heavily patrolled in America. I would ride Tamarancho first.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The legal stuff on and around Tam is all fire roads. It's a chill cruise up and down and the views are killer at the higher parts, but (although I guess it depends on the rider) the trails themselves are not very technical or exciting. Good to do when you want a chill day to spin up a long gradual climb. Fun legal singletrack can be had in Tamarancho (Boy Scout Camp) outside Fairfax, and also in China Camp outside San Rafael. Both are close, depending on your motivation you can ride to Tamarancho if you are staying near Tam.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
The legal stuff on and around Tam is all fire roads. It's a chill cruise up and down and the views are killer at the higher parts, but (although I guess it depends on the rider) the trails themselves are not very technical or exciting. Good to do when you want a chill day to spin up a long gradual climb. Fun legal singletrack can be had in Tamarancho (Boy Scout Camp) outside Fairfax, and also in China Camp outside San Rafael. Both are close, depending on your motivation you can ride to Tamarancho if you are staying near Tam.
I shouldn't just slam Tam. Its nice with a group of friends, since you are riding entirely on fireroad so you can chat while riding. I consider it a road ride on dirt.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sanjuro said:
I shouldn't just slam Tam. Its nice with a group of friends, since you are riding entirely on fireroad so you can chat while riding. I consider it a road ride on dirt.
Yeah it's not like it's a bad day on the bike. It just ain't the hella Gnar-Cal throw down.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
Yeah it's not like it's a bad day on the bike. It just ain't the hella Gnar-Cal throw down.
And you know OG, living in NorCal, I am all about the gnarcore.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ghettogt76 said:
Gnarcore for you is pussing out on a 1.5 foot drop on your VP free :rofl: :D
Gnarcore apparently has different meanings for different people.

I believe gnarcore for you is going bareback....

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Are there any jumps or even little ledges/drops on any of the trails there? There must be something somewhat techincal that's legal.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
mtnbrider said:
Are there any jumps or even little ledges/drops on any of the trails there? There must be something somewhat techincal that's legal.

On the legal trails, on Tam, the answer is pretty much no.

Like we've said, there is good legal stuff not far away in Tamarancho or China Camp, or further away in Santa Rosa (Annandel, like H8R said). Those are fun twisty singletrack through natural and sometimes kinda rocky terrain, but there just aren't really any built up jumps on legal public trails in this area. If you are willing to drive 1/2 hour and pedal/hike up there are some fun runs in Pacifica with a few drops and jumps.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
OGRipper said:
On the legal trails, on Tam, the answer is pretty much no.

Like we've said, there is good legal stuff not far away in Tamarancho or China Camp, or further away in Santa Rosa (Annandel, like H8R said). Those are fun twisty singletrack through natural and sometimes kinda rocky terrain, but there just aren't really any built up jumps on legal public trails in this area. If you are willing to drive 1/2 hour and pedal/hike up there are some fun runs in Pacifica with a few drops and jumps.
Okay. Does anyone want to ride up there somewhere next week?

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
Hey I'm in Novato in Marin and we've got some fun technical rides here. I would deffinitely be down to show you around if your interested.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
keen said:
Not exactly sure what terrain best suits your riding style but I consider Annadel a cardio loop w/ a taste of technical flavor - I ride in a mixed group and the XC purist's love Annadel, Skeggs, Skyline, Henery Cowell etc.
Annadel is legal, and it is singletrack. Some of it is fast and flowy, and it's fun. So...? Nobody said it was gnarly or had any built up jumps.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
OGRipper said:
Annadel is legal, and it is singletrack. Some of it is fast and flowy, and it's fun. So...? Nobody said it was gnarly or had any built up jumps.

Well he asked , quote : Are there any jumps or even little ledges/drops on any of the trails there? There must be something somewhat techincal that's legal.

Maybe Annadel has jumps or ledges hidden but like I said it has good cardio, XC singletrack.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
<Norcal Hella Sucks!!> :rofl:
I rode with black noise for like 2 hours. My parents dropped me off, we rode a trail and walked up. The guy from CO who ended up coming with us went to get his truck so we could shuttle, while we rode down the trail. Once at the bottom, he finally came and picked us up. I rode up with the CO guy, while black noise drove his car down. While we were waiting, we were screwing around and do cutties. I was doing them on my bad side, trying to get better, when my front wheel drifted and I fell on my arm :rofl:. One guy in the parking area saw me, and asked if I was okay. It must have looked so funny.

My tire was low, so before, I climbed to the top of the trail, I used the guy from CO's co2 pump. As I rode, it was getting lower. I heard so many noises when my wheel hit the ground after the drops and jumps.

By the time I got to the bottom, it was definately flat. We shuttled with black noise's friend who had a fullsize truck. I realized my parents had been waiting for me somewhere when the called- I said I could be down in 10min (after I hung up, *remebering* oh yeah- FLAT!) At the top, the guy from CO gave me a tube and I replaced it. I was pumping air into when suddenlly, the co2 thing popped off the valve and spit the seal out.

It scared the **** out of me and the others (we thought it was going to blow up). Well, after two co2 cartridges and a still airless tube, we realized it was broken. Adam drove me down. We took a wrong turn somewhere and ended by a school and a ces(swimming)pool:D. Eventually, we found the turnout with my parents car and I left. What a 2.5 hrs!
</Norcal Hella Sucks!!> :D

Next time, I'm coming for a few days.

Oh, yeah...I have poison oak now... Hopefully if I don't touch it and use technu, it will soon be gone.. oh, and I have a race tomorrow (I just realized that this morning)...:rofl::rofl: