Quantcast

North Carolina?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so I might be getting a new job that will be moving me to the Raleigh Durham area of NC. I know BMX is huge in that area, but what else is there? Road riding is pretty obvious. Is there any good downhilling in the region? I know Windrock is in TN, anyone got the lowdown? Any info would be appreciated!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
so I might be getting a new job that will be moving me to the Raleigh Durham area of NC. I know BMX is huge in that area, but what else is there? Road riding is pretty obvious. Is there any good downhilling in the region? I know Windrock is in TN, anyone got the lowdown? Any info would be appreciated!
They have a really nice trail network there. There is a large MTB community there. Not really any big DH stuff, but some fun North Shore riding. Dark Mt. is the closest DH Mt. around and it not that big. About 3.5 hours away is Ashville and Bone that have lots of DH runs around and some of the best cross country riding in the East. I live down in Greenville SC and travel up there a lot. I always take my bike. Good luck, it is a nice town.

Her is a link to look at:
http://www.tarwheels.org/links.html

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
if you're serious about your downhill riding.
then windrock is going to be worth the drive.

we're right outside of knoxville and just past the city of oakridge.

realistically, we'll be ready for the public by early april.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
jon fclinder was right on the money. plenty of elevation changes up here in asheville and boone. raleigh has got a pretty big urban and dj scene so if you got a hardtail this is a good place to drag that bad boy out. ohh and if you make your way up to asheville throw a pm my way and ill see if you can jump in on a dh ride with me and my boys. well good to have you in the nc family and have a safe journey man.:monkeydance:

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
From what has not been said already:
Lots of XC trails scattered through the area.
1 BMX track in Raleigh but there may be a second in the next few years in North Raleigh.
Several small freeride type areas.
3 hours away is Wintergreen and they have a lift and some shorter dh runs.
3.5 hours away is Sugar Mtn with a lift (after July 4) and a National Series race.
5 hours away is Massanutten with a great early season dh race only.
6 hours away is Snowshoe Mtn. (self expanitory)
6.5 hours is Windrock.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm used to driving for DH. i live in rochester, ny so i make the treks to platty and diablo on a regular basis. whats the word on the dh race series? and for the record, i ride pretty much anything, dh and bmx mostly, urban street, trials (natty and urban), xc, road = fixie. yea.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Race wise that is "semi-official" is
an easy nighttime dh at Fontana Village NC. Feb. 3rd.,
3 race super d series at Dark Mtn NC. in March,
2 super d's at Paris Mtn SC. March and April,
Massanutten Va. DH May 12.
US Open Memorial Day.
I am guessing 3 races at Snowshoe at some point.
End of July will have the National at Sugar Mtn. NC.

There very well may be some others that either I can't remember or have not been formalized yet so we just may have a few more on the schedule.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
you will find some good road riding in north raleigh around falls lake as well as the entire area of raleigh/durham/chapel hill is covered in seriously badass urban.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
From what has not been said already:
Lots of XC trails scattered through the area.
1 BMX track in Raleigh but there may be a second in the next few years in North Raleigh.
Several small freeride type areas.
3 hours away is Wintergreen and they have a lift and some shorter dh runs.
3.5 hours away is Sugar Mtn with a lift (after July 4) and a National Series race.
5 hours away is Massanutten with a great early season dh race only.
6 hours away is Snowshoe Mtn. (self expanitory)
6.5 hours is Windrock.
Diablo is probably quicker from Raleigh than Windrock and Snowshoe!

Oct 9, 2006
JeffKill Quote:
Umm.....no. Windrock & Snowshoe are just over a 6 hour drive from Raleigh and Vernon, NJ is almost a 9 hour drive.
Like really...Jeffkill is so like turning into a valley girl for real...see you on the trails this weekend girly man!!

Moffatt

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
No, only 7hrs. I have done the drive from Raleigh to NJ many times.
That would probably depend on what time of day you go through DC, Baltimore & Philly. Im just going by what pc miler is bringing up, never drove it myself. But even when I turn the road speeds up, it still says about 7 hours 45 min.

You could also easily make it to Snowshoe and Windrock in under 6 hours. So you're still closer to them than you are Diablo.

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
Jon,
I lived in western North Carolina a few months ago. I'm not sure what kind of riding you like, but If you like XC, I can give you some info on riding around Pisgah, Boone, Blowing Rock area.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
That would probably depend on what time of day you go through DC, Baltimore & Philly. Im just going by what pc miler is bringing up, never drove it myself. But even when I turn the road speeds up, it still says about 7 hours 45 min.

You could also easily make it to Snowshoe and Windrock in under 6 hours. So you're still closer to them than you are Diablo.
I did hit DC once at the wrong time and boy did it suck a$$. Most of the time we go up there we don't go during rush hr. But you are right the Windrock and Snowshoe can be made in under 6 hrs so in sense its shorter. But in the other hand never gone to Diablo myself and want to. I had plans to go to the US open this year, but our buddy Johnny N is getting married that weekend. That is more inportant to me so I will not be going to the US open. I will get to go to Diablo once or twice this summer for a fun weekend when I go up to NJ to see the family, so its no deal to me.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Hey FCLinder nice session last night @ the park, gonna do some night rides @ paris next week.
You too man. Had a lot of fun. I really can't wait to get the park bike. I will be riding Sunday at Paris Mt with Dave. Have to stay close by with the wife about to pop out the kid any day now. Let me know if you want to meet up with us out there?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
windrock is the worst place I've ever ridden. The trails were crappy and rutted out.

welcome to the south.
i didn't think you'd ever make the migration.

watch out though.
around these parts, those who take opies name in vain my wind up out in the backwoods somewhere being forced to squeal like a pig.