Quantcast

North County XC

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
I'm moving back to North County(Oceanside) after being gone for 3 years. My folks still live there so I've been back there alot. I've noticed alot of my old riding spots being developed into housing developments.

Is Calaveras and Elfin forest still open? What other O'side and carlsbad spots. How about discovery hill out in San Marcos.

Anybody want to do some XC rides? I'd like to hook up with a small group for night rides and regular rides in the area.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Yo. I don't know of any riding down there, but if you find some, I'm in San Clemente and will definitely get down there if you find anything.

Do you live near Issaquah?

Andrew

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I work in Carlsbad (near Legoland).. if you guys are getting something together, I'd like to join.

and sorry about the development in O'Side..but it keeps me employed! :D

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Orven said:
and sorry about the development in O'Side..but it keeps me employed! :D
Dude, that's awesome! You get to play with legos as an adult too? Damn you...

O, is there any xc in or near Carlsbad? Thanks.

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
I used to live near LaCosta and would ride from my house out to LaCosta and Rancho Santafe. From there I would climb up into the hills and down over to where they just put in that San Elijo development back there near the Carlsbad and San Marcos border. That was great, you could go for quite a ride then. I think some of that is still do able, I'll be checking that out.

Now then I'll be living up north in O'side. I used to ride out by the 76 out past the swap meet up and around the hills. Nothing awsome but some fun stuff for quick after or before work ride. Could get in a great workout with the short hard climbs up some of the hills.

Later

Gimper4JC

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
Count me in! I'd like to join some XC/trail rides as well,
I also ride with a few other monkeys during the week, evenings and some early AM rides for you 9-5ers.

Maybe we could start another Thread for rides in SD Area. Post the rides, date, time, simple directions, if you show up, you ride, if not, we ride without you. We apply the 5min rule.

All are welcome. Ride whatever you want, can't keep up? We will encourage you to a point and wait for you within reason, if you don't. You get dropped. We do ask that a mutual respect be observed.

Sound good? Simple!

spokedwheel said:
I'm moving back to North County...Is Calaveras and Elfin forest still open? What other O'side and carlsbad spots. How about discovery hill out in San Marcos.
Calaveras and Elfin Forest/Mt. Israel are still open. Calaveras is more developed than when you left, is the subject of land/preservations wars and is adjacent to a riding area called "Flightline" that you may have thought of as just part of Calaveras before. Elfin Forest is open, but with less trails, because they filled in the valley there with a dam and water. New trails are pending, but not built/open.

I don't know about Disco Hills, but I've seen posting about trails there.

Daley Ranch may not have been on your radar when you left, but it's open and has a lot of riding. It's in Escondido, directly adjacent to Lake Dixon.

Heading south, the Lake Hodges area (San Dieguito River Park) is open, and a fun place for XC, but heavily populated with runners, so careful cornering is the call of the day during peak hours. The south side of the lake also offers some good XC trails. Also, Black Mountain Preserve is very open, with trails and heat-soaked grinder climbs from hell abounding. There are also sections there referred to as "baby Noble" for the stepped, rocky descents.

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
I've rode Dalley ranch a handful of times, used to ride hodges at night alot. Nice and cool in the winter time and doable in summer. That trip across the 78 can be hell durring the week, doubt it's gotten any better.

I'd be down for a sd ride thread, meet and ride. I'm not sure exactly what my work schedule is going to be yet, I have to find a job before I can get a schedule I guess.

Later

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Palomar Airport area.. I have a link to site that DHJill forwarded to me. I was told that there are some real "good stuff" in it.. Anyways, let's start next week or so, y'all... after 5PM is coo for me but be patient bec I'm a tad slow in climbing!

Gimper4JC

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
Orven said:
Palomar Airport area.. I have a link to site that DHJill forwarded to me. I was told that there are some real "good stuff" in it.. Anyways, let's start next week or so, y'all... after 5PM is coo for me but be patient bec I'm a tad slow in climbing!
Coo... I'll start the thread Monday - Hey Orven, I'll be patient with ya on the climbs... will you extend me the same courtesy when you teach me how to jump? :thumb: :D ... some day.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Gimper4JC said:
Count me in! I'd like to join some XC/trail rides as well,
I also ride with a few other monkeys during the week, evenings and some early AM rides for you 9-5ers.

Maybe we could start another Thread for rides in SD Area. Post the rides, date, time, simple directions, if you show up, you ride, if not, we ride without you. We apply the 5min rule.

All are welcome. Ride whatever you want, can't keep up? We will encourage you to a point and wait for you within reason, if you don't. You get dropped. We do ask that a mutual respect be observed.

Sound good? Simple!
Count me in, too, for North County rides! I can show you guys some fun stuff at Flightline...it's way better than Calavera although that's a good spot, too. Discovery Hills, from what I understand, is pretty jacked right now since they are building a ton o' houses out there. Hodges (north and south) are good. Daley is awesome, too.

After work and weekends...both work for me! Let's ride! :)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
For those of you way north county (like Carlsbad if it's not too far), a buddy of mine and I are going to try and make a weekly or bi-weekly night ride at San Juan trail. We went last night and kinda got lost, but we still had a great time. Hopefully next time we'll have some sort of idea as to where the hell the trail goes...

MTDBIKE

Chimp
Jan 7, 2004
1/2 FLIGHTLINE
spokedwheel said:
I used to live near LaCosta and would ride from my house out to LaCosta and Rancho Santafe. From there I would climb up into the hills and down over to where they just put in that San Elijo development back there near the Carlsbad and San Marcos border. That was great, you could go for quite a ride then. I think some of that is still do able, I'll be checking that out.

I still ride here called knots Berry farm, and think its the best DH singletract in NC area. I usely now access the place from the backside from the old landfill near San Ellijo. The best ST is marked in RED.

Attachments

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
Alright I started this thread awhile back, and never got in touch again. Let's try this again. The rain has stopped hopefully and the trails are soaked but maybe we can start thinking about getting a regular ride going!

I work m-f 10-6, then I take classes m,t,w nights. So I'm open for a thursday night ride, or any mornings and ocassional weekends.

MTDBIKE

Chimp
Jan 7, 2004
1/2 FLIGHTLINE
Deer Springs is the last frontier for North County it has not been touch yet by the land rapist, like: Calaveras, Knots Berry Farm, Flightline, Escondido Jumps, Discovery Hills, Box Canyon, and others. But give it some time.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
MTDBIKE said:
Deer Springs is the last frontier for North County it has not been touch yet by the land rapist, like: Calaveras, Knots Berry Farm, Flightline, Escondido Jumps, Discovery Hills, Box Canyon, and others. But give it some time.
Yeah, now that Flightline is officially dead, we need to find another place to ride up here in the 760.

Have you been to Flightline this week? It's covered with snow-fencing, equipment, and workers. Bad deal. I drive past it every day and it just makes me want to cry. :mumble: :mad:

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Orven said:
Isn't Daley Ranch an ok ride? What about Elfin?
Daley Ranch is really cool. I've never ridden Elfin. The Flightline deal is just such a bummer since it's literally right down the street from work...takes us about 2 minutes to ride down there. :(

MTDBIKE

Chimp
Jan 7, 2004
1/2 FLIGHTLINE
Orven said:
Isn't Daley Ranch an ok ride? What about Elfin?
Daley is ok for pure cross country, not enough singletracts though. I prefer Elfin Forest, the first climb on the way up trail is 1.5 miles/900 feet approx. is a real lung buster and hard to clean all the way. When they open the other trails on the other side of the dam, it will be much better than the current short loop on tykes and incline trails.

Dylan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2002
San Diego area, California, USA
count me in....i'm waaaay outta shape, but i've got the itch to start riding again....everything from XC to DH....course i still need to get a XC & a DH bike, but hopefully soon...hopefully I can probably manage to get my hands on a loaner, so definately count me in!
too much photo & painting makes jd a dull boy

jd