Quantcast

North end information

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
A: apparently there was a run in not too long ago in the Victoria Tract of the Pilchuck Tree farms (300th for the unknowing...) Probably on the Ridge Trail, where some bikers in DH gear came upon some equestrians riding up the trail. The bikers were descending at a high rate of speed and had tio ride off the trail to avoid hitting the horsemen and the horses freaked out. Not a good scene at all for both parties. Please be aware of your rate of speed and that it is in conjunction with the sight line distance. The equestrians built and maintain virtually all the trails there so some respect should be given. Not even sure why DH gear is even worth while there. But, that's me.

B: Someone has built a jump line without permission at the Pilchuck Tract near the Morgan club that is going away. Probably a good idea to contact the office and see if you can save some of it. They are pretty progressive and thought the hits won't be as gnarl as you probably want, you won't have to worry about the line going away.
Sack up and contact them. Can't hurt.

If you know those involved, please pass along.

Also, the PRA (Pilchuck recreation Association) is looking for some biking representation at their monthly meetings. Here is a chance for someone who lives up north of Seattle to give back in an easy way. the board members are pretty cool and the land manager is as well.

And, the Victoria Tract (300th) will be having it's seasonal closure the end of the month. (Closed November 1 until May 1 annually. Please respect the closure so we can continue to ride here.)

That is all.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Info or contact information for the PRA monthly meetings?

Hahaha, we saw some chumps riding up the Ridge Trail in full DH gear a couple weeks ago. Just silly.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Once a month, usually up around there some place at someone's house. Next month on the 15th at the Big Lake Tavern. Woo hoo!
Don't have to go every month. Just offer to keep in the loop. Maybe do some work parties, etc.

Pilchuck Tree Farm office 360-629-6800
It's also the bldg on your right after you pass the church on 300th after you exit the freeway if you're there during biz hours and want to pop in. Nice people.

I also have board member numbers and e-mail addresses and can PM you with that stuff. Hoping to get Dawn and Urie involved more as well as Scott from the shop as they all ride up there more now than I can.

Yeah, kind of like seeing full armor at someplace like St. Ed's .... Oh well.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
We rode up there in one of the tracts about three and a half years ago: all soft sand, mud, bugs and horse piss and crap all over everywhere. Oh, and tons of surly horsemen (and rightfully so, they are horse trails in the tract we were in), great time that. The stink didn't come out of all the pivots and drive trains of the bikes for quite some time, sold the book we got that idea out of. I'd love to hear where some decent XC trails are in there, what we rode wasn't fun for bikes at all.

Jun 18, 2004
Unfortunately the Horse People have to be kept happy... that's just the way it is... I don't like thier horse pucky either...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
A little pucky and some good trails doesn't phase me at all.

Carbuncle, you probably were riding the Armstrong Tract. There are some really fun trails in there but, as with most places, it takes some time to figure out the right routes and what time of year to ride them. Lots of middle ring spinning with some short but fun downs.
You also probably bought that POS written by SC with "Mariners" trail names that he gave the trails there. Even the horsey people thought that one was funny. I hope you burned the book. It's about all its good for. But, it made his publisher happy.

Victoria Tract though has some real rippin' singletrack and probably one of the funnest pieces or trail near Seattle for the non-hucker crowd in the Ridge Trail. (Star Wars, or the Zen Trail for the unknowing.) Nobody comes out on to the road at the end w/o smiling. 9 square miles and about 45 miles of trail is a nice option for the XC inclined. Only open for another few weeks as it seasonally closes Nov 1 - May 1.

Pilchuck Tract has some legal ttf rides in it you may see out there like Smackdown, Toaster, and Foxy. But, I don't know if they are being kept up.
Joelsman?

And, for the most part, in the 14 years that I've been riding up there, I've only met a rare few equestrians with attitude. And, again, for the most part, they were weekend warrior types hauling their horses in some huge toy hauler from Bridal Trails or some yuppified spot. The locals are pretty darn cool. And, often have cold beers in their saddle bags for when it's hot up there.:cheers:

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Borneo hit me with what contact info you have. I'll do my share. Last weekend was my 1st ride up there in a while. Had to go test the new screws in my arm out.:twitch:

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Thanks, Borneo. That's the book alright, when we were new to the MTB trails we got steered wrong by that POS three times in a row (I won't bother to detail the others, as they are just embarrassing and/or would bring attention to spots that shouldn't be biked) before we cursed the name of the author and sold it for a nickel at half price. It's still out there, merrily awaiting victims on the shelves at Borders...

Next year we'll have to break out the trailbikes and get up to the other tracts, I've heard there are some fun trails around Anacortes, too.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Sad, isn't it? People complain about Zilly's books all the time but the inaccuracies in that one are so bad that it could be down right dangerous. Someday when we have time I'll tell you about the time he poached one of my rides with a gps and a pocket tape recorder to put that ride in the book without telling me. What's even wierder is that another book writer thanked him for some info he gave them for their book.

Yes, there are a lot of really good pedaling spots around here including the farms. And,yes, ACFL and the Whidbey spots are good rain shadow rides for the wet months.

Snacks and Lumberjack, I'll e/m you guys with the contact info. Even just getting on the e-mail list for the board helps. (Lumberjack, PM me with your e-mail address.) Thanks!

Lastly: I know it's a bit North for many but the land manager has offered to work with riders in putting in legal FR/DH lines at the Pilchuck Tract. So, while it may be a lit of a drive from seattle, it will still be less than Galbraith or the shore and could be good stuff. Just needs some communication and your labor. Again, Joelsman here would know more as he's been involved in the past.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
UPDATE: I just heard from the equestrians involved in the near run in and it occurred on the Lower Ridge Trail. Both bikers endo'd trying to stop fast and came up verbally abusing the equestrians for not wearing bright colored clothing so they could better see them and then told them that they should stay off "their" trails.

As with any sport, the noobs need to be educated to the history of the area that they are riding in. The horse folks built those trails a long time ago and have been maintaining them probably longer than these bikers have been riding. That's just the facts. We're the new kids on the block, no '80s kiddee band pun intended.

The cool part is that the equestrians noted that virtually all the bikers they meet are really nice but that there is this new influx of younger riders that are not. So, please take it upon yourselves to educate the noobs you bring into the sport. They also mentioned that wearing bear bells helps let the horses know we are coming. Plus, not a bad thing for that area since I've seen several bears up there.

Closes for the winter at the end of the month...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Nope. These two places are about over an hour drive apart. This Lower Ridge Trail has a Stanwood address.