Quantcast

North Korean missile launch on 4th of July

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
valve bouncer said:
They also supply most of the speed to the Japanese market, as well as having a heavy presence in the organised crime world.
more and more stories about this creep are coming out now.

seems he has a thing for little girls too.
reports have him searching the countryside for pretty girls, some as young as 13. for his personal harem.

quite a little world he's built for himself.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
dhbuilder said:
more and more stories about this creep are coming out now.

seems he has a thing for little girls too.
reports have him searching the countryside for pretty girls, some as young as 13. for his personal harem.

quite a little world he's built for himself.
must be nice...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Was listening to a report this morning that he says he's going to continue testing, and there will be repercussions if people try to interfere?

"We're going to shoot some missles at you, and we're going to be angry if you stop them!"

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
when all this first came about.
i listened as military pundits went on about taking the missles out as they sat on the launch pad.

at first i thought that was way too bold and ballsy of a move.
but now i'm thinking that's exactly what needs to be done.

followed promptly by a message saying "that's all you got, biotch ?"

oh, to be a fly on the wall in his room then.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
BurlyShirley said:
Whatever.

IMO, Korea would be the next Vietnam if we got too ballsy.
they don't have the support behind them like n.vietnam did.

china is their only hope.
and they only appease the fool because they don't want his government to collapse, and therefore be flooded with all his skinny refugees.

i'd be willing to bet what we are witnessing is the slow implosion of his regime.
but it sounds like the ones who are in position to fill the void are worse than he is.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
dhbuilder said:
they don't have the support behind them like n.vietnam did.

china is their only hope.
and they only appease the fool because they don't want his government to collapse, and therefore be flooded with all his skinny refugees.

i'd be willing to bet what we are witnessing is the slow implosion of his regime.
but it sounds like the ones who are in position to fill the void are worse than he is.
Dude, if you dont think China is the new USSR, and we're not in the early stages of a cold war, you're wrong...
China probably wouldnt be so public about it, but they'd definitley have an interest in keeping us occupied with yet another longlasting conflict of which there is no hope for profitable resolution.
I think Korea would be well fed by the Chinese.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
BurlyShirley said:
Dude, if you dont think China is the new USSR, and we're not in the early stages of a cold war, you're wrong...
China probably wouldnt be so public about it, but they'd definitley have an interest in keeping us occupied with yet another longlasting conflict of which there is no hope for profitable resolution.
I think Korea would be well fed by the Chinese.
while i do agree that china has very quietly become our biggest global adversary.
i doubt they would do anything if we toppled a few scuds off the n.korean launch pads.
they aren't saying much now.
but they like everyone else, don't want this fool emboldening himself into firing off missles in a southernly direction.
that and an errant missle falling on japan, is our main concern.

china has too much to lose with their position in this global economy.
they've been quietly setting up free trade deals with countries all throughout this continent and beyond.

hard currency rules these days.
china wants it.

but it is a touchy situation.
we have our troops along the 38th. parralell to consider.
and i doubt we have any intentions or dreams of toppling his regime and trying to set up a democracy there. china knows that.

with kim, it's another case of "better the devil you know".
we just need to keep him in check.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
Relax Francis.
lol!!!!

What are diplomats of New Zealand going to do? Attack North Korea with Saraman's orcs?

Since NZ is such strong disarmament proponents, here is their perfect opportunity to have a positive effect on world peace.

Or are they going to hang back and let the big boys take care of it, once again?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
sanjuro said:
lol!!!!

What are diplomats of New Zealand going to do? Attack North Korea with Saraman's orcs?

Since NZ is such strong disarmament proponents, here is their perfect opportunity to have a positive effect on world peace.

Or are they going to hang back and let the big boys take care of it, once again?
Helen's said her piece. It's up to you if you read it or not, and it's up to the media if they report it or not. It's been reported locally.

One might say we're having a positive effect by not antagonising NK, and by providing a consistant corridor of diplomacy betweent he US and China, because we are one of the only westernised countries who have good relations with both.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
TheMontashu said:
I think the U.S. was stayin away from using our missle defence system, it is not 100% reliable and we would not want to look bad by missing.
It's a big system, there's a lot more to it than being covered by the news. The only press it gets is the negative press surrounding the ground-based system that used to be referred to as the "National Missile Defense" system. I don't think it's hit a thing yet. However, there are smaller systems that are doing quite well in testing (Aegis, THAAD) and in the field (PAC-3). Aegis has only had one miss since testing began in 1999.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
sanjuro said:
lol!!!!

Historicly the north south Korea is a product of US/USSR machinations post WW2.

..... Why the hell should we have to clean up your mess bud?

Be nice if the USA could stop making it's problem everyone elses. :clue:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
sanjuro said:
Your record of 'taking care of it' is fvcking sh1t, frankly. Maybe you shoud just STFU. It's be a lot more helpful.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DaveW said:
Historicly the north south Korea is a product of US/USSR machinations post WW2.

..... Why the hell should we have to clean up your mess bud?

Be nice if the USA could stop making it's problem everyone elses. :clue:
You don't have to do diddly. Its our mess, and we are going to take care of it.

But if the other countries have nothing to offer, then what's the point of your criticism? I like to hear what South Korea, China, Russia, Taiwan, and Japan has to say, but NZ?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Changleen said:
Your record of 'taking care of it' is fvcking sh1t, frankly. Maybe you shoud just STFU. It's be a lot more helpful.
Hey, relax Francis, no need to make it personal.

I think you can guess while I am somewhat liberal and extremely anti-Bush, that I also do not take well to outside criticism of American politics.

Most countries are happy to hang back and let the USA take the brunt of the diplomacy load. Do I think our current administration is doing a good job? Of course not. But I think Americans do care and do try.

And specifically given the large amount of Korean immigrants in America, I think we will be handling this with the right amount of concern.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
sanjuro said:
Sorry I don't mean to, just venting - I find it a bit rich to hear 'America' and 'diplomacy' in the same sentance recently, for the reasons you cited.
Most countries are happy to hang back and let the USA take the brunt of the diplomacy load. Do I think our current administration is doing a good job? Of course not. But I think Americans do care and do try.
I don't think that countries 'hang back' - If you actually take a look at what's going on over here and in Australia for example there has been much toing and froing of ambassadors, pronouncements and the like, which are simply completely ignored by the American press. And like I said in this particular situation NZ is in a good position to help facilitating Sino-US discussion which both sides may not want trumpeting to the press.

Here, I found Helen's bit for you:

NZ joins condemnation of N Korean missile tests
06 July 2006
By DAN EATON

New Zealand has joined a growing international chorus condemning North Korean missile tests, saying they are provocative and fuel concerns about the Stalinist regime's nuclear programme.

Prime Minister Helen Clark said yesterday that after North Korea fired seven missiles that the tests "struck at the heart of the world's ability to control nuclear proliferation".

Clark rubbished North Korean claims the tests were a defensive action against threats from the United States.

Foreign Minister Winston Peters said the tests showed "wanton disregard for the warnings issued by the international community", elevating concern North Korea had "chosen a path towards denunciation as a rogue state".

New Zealand is one of a small number of countries that maintain diplomatic relations with North Korea. The missile tests follow a visit to North Korea's capital, Pyongyang, last week by newly appointed ambassador Jane Coombs, who is based in South Korea.

She presented her credentials to President Kim Jong-Il and lodged New Zealand's concern over North Korea's nuclear programme, urging it to return to talks.

The tests included one long-range Taepodong missile, which reportedly failed shortly after firing, and several short-range missiles that landed in the Sea of Japan.

"North Korea was advised clearly that missile testing would be seen as a provocative step," Peters said.

He said the tests could have a destabilising influence in the region.

The South Koreans have put their army on a higher level of alert. There are four New Zealand soldiers serving as monitors on the border that separates North and South.

"These tests fuel concern about North Korea's behaviour, adding to ongoing worry about its nuclear programmes and dismay that it has not rejoined the six-party talks," Peters said.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I didn't realize NZ and NK had diplo relations. That's a good thing.

You need to send Galadriel to work it out with Il-Jong, and that doesn't work, send Karl Urban to mess him up....

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
sanjuro said:

I think you can guess while I am somewhat liberal and extremely anti-Bush, that I also do not take well to outside criticism of American politics.

And specifically given the large amount of Korean immigrants in America, I think we will be handling this with the right amount of concern.
Just to be clear, are you saying that just because Changleen is not a US citizen his criticism is invalid? Are you also saying that you would defend policies that you do not agree with?

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Changleen said:
hahahahahahahahahaha...................

Good thing we did not STFU in the mid to late 40's or you would have been saying STFU in Japanese symbols.................

If NZ want to do some good, have China sit the side lines, then the US can give the OK for the South to invade, opening new markets for China and the West. S.Korea will be one country again bolstering the economic environment in that region of the world pushing Asian markets higher and manufactured goods lower.......

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
fluff said:
Just to be clear, are you saying that just because Changleen is not a US citizen his criticism is invalid? Are you also saying that you would defend policies that you do not agree with?
I don't care for criticism from residents of countries that don't get involved to the level we get involved. Countries like France take a back seat to us but are glad to sell weapons to the other side and complain about our policies at the same time.

New Zealand is probably a more egalitarian state than the United States. We certainly caused our own headaches in the Middle East, and you could argue that we helped to create Il-Jong Kim (although I think Stalin had more to do with the Korean War than Truman).

But New Zealand does not bear the responsiblity we do in world politics or economy. So yes, our opinion matters more than a Kiwi.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
SDH said:
hahahahahahahahahaha...................

Good thing we did not STFU in the mid to late 40's or you would have been saying STFU in Japanese symbols.................

If NZ want to do some good, have China sit the side lines, then the US can give the OK for the South to invade, opening new markets for China and the West. S.Korea will be one country again bolstering the economic environment in that region of the world pushing Asian markets higher and manufactured goods lower.......
If we want to do good, you want us to enable a a war against one of the largest standing armies in the world? You're fvcking special mate. Idiot. Frankly I'd rather be speaking Japanese than associate with people like you who obviously have the foresight of a dead rat.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Changleen said:
If we want to do good, you want us to enable a a war against one of the largest standing armies in the world? You're fvcking special mate. Idiot. Frankly I'd rather be speaking Japanese than associate with people like you who obviously have the foresight of a dead rat.
Is the reason why you speak English is because John Wayne liberated New Zealand from the Nipponese...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ThePriceSeliger said:
I can't read the whole thread because I'm out of time and need to go, but, are these launched at the U.S. or are they "tests"? Are they capable of reaching?
Bottlerockets have gone higher than their missles so far....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ThePriceSeliger said:
I can't read the whole thread because I'm out of time and need to go, but, are these launched at the U.S. or are they "tests"? Are they capable of reaching?
Most of them can reach Japan (US Bases) and South Korea (US Bases) but the new one, which is the one which fell appart in the air, is theoretically capable of reaching the very edge of Alaska. :eek: :rofl:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Changleen said:
Most of them can reach Japan (US Bases) and South Korea (US Bases) but the new one, which is the one which fell appart in the air, is theoretically capable of reaching the very edge of Alaska. :eek: :rofl:

Err it has a 10,500 mile range.... hawaii for sure.... probably pacflt HQ as main target.

Aparently from it's trajectory angle they worked out it was aimed just north of hawaii.

*edit* dammit I can't find the article I found that aiming point bit in so I'll retract that bit for now

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I haven't started building my bomb shelter under San Francisco, but the way great glorious Bush thinks, he would let Il-Jong bomb Seoul first, then attack second.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DaveW said:
Aparently from it's trajectory angle they worked out it was aimed just north of hawaii.

*edit* dammit I can't find the article I found that aiming point bit in so I'll retract that bit for now
I was watching CNN when they said that, so at least you're not the only crazy one if it's not true ;)

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Strange thing in my eyes are the reactons of you guys.
It's like "it's ok for us to have the bomb but not for them". It's not the bomb that is the issue but WHO has it.. The comparisson to hunters that like to kill animals and do find it a great sport to do so, but would get the fvck out of Sherwood if mr Moose had a rifle comes to my mind.
Equality is good as long as no biafra tries to sceem on my riches..

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
rockwool said:
Strange thing in my eyes are the reactons of you guys.
It's like "it's ok for us to have the bomb but not for them". It's not the bomb that is the issue but WHO has it.. The comparisson to hunters that like to kill animals and do find it a great sport to do so, but would get the fvck out of Sherwood if mr Moose had a rifle comes to my mind.
Equality is good as long as no biafra tries to sceem on my riches..
This is a valid argument, but like most things, it can't be summed up so quickly. It's not just the US that doesnt want NK to have "the bomb" it's the ENTIRE WORLD. And for good reason. For one, the less nukes the better, but also Kim Jong Il is a known dickbag. I cant think of a good reason that the world has allowed him to stay in power and keep his people starved, etc. Allowing him nukes will only WORSEN their situation.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BurlyShirley said:
This is a valid argument, but like most things, it can't be summed up so quickly. It's not just the US that doesnt want NK to have "the bomb" it's the ENTIRE WORLD. And for good reason. For one, the less nukes the better, but also Kim Jong Il is a known dickbag. I cant think of a good reason that the world has allowed him to stay in power and keep his people starved, etc. Allowing him nukes will only WORSEN their situation.
Uh, You know he already has them right?