Quantcast

North* reports here-

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
I will be on a dark blue 2008 V-10, black, white, and red giro helmet and Santa Cruz jersey. I am hard to miss, I will be riding with my husband, he has a zz top beard. See you tomorrow!

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Thats new drop zone is just what the doctor ordered.

being a new rider, drops during the actual trails are nerve racking. worried about the landing, trying to keep up with your friends, not wrecking and blocking the trail.

I can;t wait to spend some time on those, building confidence.

gideon

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
San Francisco
Thats new drop zone is just what the doctor ordered.

being a new rider, drops during the actual trails are nerve racking. worried about the landing, trying to keep up with your friends, not wrecking and blocking the trail.

I can;t wait to spend some time on those, building confidence.
You'll be hitting em soon enuf, rome wasn't built in a day
Good to have a progression drop area to work your way up

Also kudos for being considerate of blocking the trail
There are few things more frustrating than wanting to hit something and having someone/bike in the way cuz they are checking it out/dont care/arent aware that there may be others (wrecking on a section is understandable of course)

Is that landing on the bigger one enuf?, it looks a bit soft and short

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
not soft, just short. N* won't let us dig, but will be bringing in some more dirt to extend the landing. The landing is enough, if you know you can stick it, which is the point of the progressive sizing.

Mordax

Monkey
Sep 13, 2003
Redding, CA
Is that landing on the bigger one enuf?, it looks a bit soft and short
its a bit short but works fine. i hit it twice today with no problem. just take it easy on the gas running up to it

and i just wanna say great job to anyone that helps build at N*. i was up there for the first time today and i definitely had a sick ride. lots of variety, good maintenance, overall awesome place. i was left satisfied and only slightly bruised/battered

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Another good weekend up there. Livewire is coming along great, lots of potential, awesome job by the trail crew - it seems like a huge amount of work getting done in a relatively short period of time. Can't wait for the next portions to be built.

I wasn't able to ride or hang out with some people as much as I would have liked but still, good to see some friends and meet some new people.

Heard an interesting tidbit from a woman in the ticket office: DH attendance is roughly TWICE what was expected for this year so far. Good job to all who come out and keep it busy up there. Only time will tell but hopefully the resort will get the message and devote even more resources to the bike park.

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
Another good weekend up there. Livewire is coming along great, lots of potential, awesome job by the trail crew - it seems like a huge amount of work getting done in a relatively short period of time. Can't wait for the next portions to be built.

I wasn't able to ride or hang out with some people as much as I would have liked but still, good to see some friends and meet some new people.

Heard an interesting tidbit from a woman in the ticket office: DH attendance is roughly TWICE what was expected for this year so far. Good job to all who come out and keep it busy up there. Only time will tell but hopefully the resort will get the message and devote even more resources to the bike park.
Agreed... Good seeing everyone, there's a nice scene going on there now.

Obviously there's a big demand for a real lift access mtn bike park around here and it can only improve with time. Here's my recommendations:

* stay open later (at least 6pm)...

** start a Super D race series, modeled after the XC race series... There's enough trails to start at the top and end in the Village for a 15-20min run.... I bet we could at least double the amt. of racers that show up for the Thursday night XC series. How about a $15 entry fee, raffle prizes, BBQ and beer, all on a Friday evening... ??

I'm not the biggest fan of racing, but I like having fun on my bike and a Super D series would be super fun at NStar, rocky, long, and end in the Village with a big party - weekly or bi-weekly.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ben, those are great ideas. Staying open later is a big one, it will encourage more people to come up on Saturday mornings, and it will also be safer because more people will take a break for lunch. On that note, I'd also like to see a better food concession at the mid-station. The food offered at the little kiosk up there is pretty weak. They may respond but saying "go down to the village" but that ties in with the 4pm closing time too - if they want riders spending money in the village, don't make us so desperate to get our runs in before the lifts close.

As for Super D races, sounds really good but I think there would be a better turnout if they were held on weekends.

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
I will try to pass on some of these great suggestions to Kyle. I would like to see the park open later on weekends as well, since I only get to ride on weekends!!! And Super D is a ton of fun, especially for those without super big bikes. It may also help if everyone sends suggestions to the resort. They seem to be listening!!!:cheers:
http://www.northstarattahoe.com/contact-us.asp?theme=summer

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
... George and I installed a paver stone landing at the qualifier on Live Wire today, so no more landing in a hole:happydance: Tomorrow, we will be paving the hole at the bottom of the second table top, so please don't duck under the fence and run us over!!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What, the resort folks don't read RM? Comments sent. In addition to the above I asked for more oxygen up there. They really need to do more to accommodate all of us sea-level dwellers. :biggrin:

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
I will try to pass on some of these great suggestions to Kyle. I would like to see the park open later on weekends as well, since I only get to ride on weekends!!! And Super D is a ton of fun, especially for those without super big bikes. It may also help if everyone sends suggestions to the resort. They seem to be listening!!!:cheers:
Thanks for the landings!!

Suggestions will be sent...

Super D is cool because it brings in all sorts of people. First time I rode at Nstar was 4 years ago at the Big Bear super D race... I got my a$$ handed to me by Curtis Keene but I was hooked on the Star after that.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
first suggestion should be raises for trail crew and patrol.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
What, the resort folks don't read RM? Comments sent. In addition to the above I asked for more oxygen up there. They really need to do more to accommodate all of us sea-level dwellers. :biggrin:
we resort folks (asa and myself) read ridemonkey and pass on or laugh at the suggestions posted.

ps patrol does have oxygen to accomodate you sea-level dwellers.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
ps patrol does have oxygen to accomodate you sea-level dwellers.
Hahaha, sweet, I'll to ask for a huff next time.

Thanks for all the good work up there. Our comments are (usually) intended as constructive criticism and I hope they are taken that way. Everyone I talk to is friggin' stoked on the park this year.

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
My only suggestion; Since you are doing such an awesome job with the skills area, maybe add a little table top, and a little double.

Us n00bs really like to gain some confidence so we can enjoy the trails more. As I stated in an earlier post, encountering these on trail for us newbies is a little nerve racking. And since we are ususally riding with faster people, and people coming behind, the middle of Livewire is not the place to session a section.

I memorized Lopes book, watch the how-to video's, but live, on the actual run, lack of confidence/experience gets me on the breaks, or the go-around.

I am going up twice this week. I am sure one day I will wear grooves in those drops you built (at least the small one)

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I was up there on Sunday. I couldn't believe yet another section on Livewire was done (been up 3 times, a new section each time). The drop skills area is very cool too, nice progression. Yeah, it would be nicer to have steeper/longer landings, but this way you get used to the flat landings on most of the drops on the trails, right? :) J/K. It's really great to see that level of commitment to making the park better. Props to everyone working on the trails.

As far as other ideas, I definitely like the idea of staying open later, and a Super D might be fun too. I'm not a huge race fan, but if there was a race down Livewire I'd have to do it! A tabletop jump progression area similar to the drops area would be great for folks to work on jumping technique. Might help lower the rate of injuries on Livewire too! :)

It was cool to meet some of the N* crew, and put some faces to names for a few people on this forum. Planning to be there next weekend too. I'm addicted!

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Howdy! Tomorrow a few of the crew will be installing pavers on the blown out berms on lower Gypsy. Unforturnately, we will have to close the last leg for the day, due to exposed rebar, tools laying about, and such. Please feel free to wave to us and shout encouragement from the chair though:cheers: (hint)

tahoetoad

Chimp
Jul 21, 2007
As far as I am concerned, you folks there are doing fantastic work. I was reading about beer, is there going to be a drop off spot next to the workers?:busted:
If not, let me know where and when to meet. I will be up there next weekend for some Northstar addiction fix.
TOAD

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
...but, actually it is the dark blue Subaru Baja with the rusty hitch mount rack and a big YUBA sticker in the back window:cheers: Or, just find the guy on the hill with a ZZ top beard on a V-10, that is my husband George and we are on the mountain every day - ask a lift opp or bike patrol, they will know where to find us. And, to all who yelled encouraging words from the lift today - Thanks! That sun was brutal and we needed the positive energy.

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Another fun weekend at North. Loved learning to jump on some of the tables on livewire, nice and watered down this morning too. Awesome mat? (little concrete pavers) work on Gypsy and the boardwalk berm on little trees.

But, wait... let's start at the beginning. MY goal for this trip was to learn to drop. 6inches was 6 feet for me. Thanks to Asa and the crew, (who I bestowed many thanks upon) the place was there. I hit up the drop zone

So, I started small. got comfy on the 1st dro;. did it about 10 times, then on to the second.

Then....

Yes! nailing the 3rd drop.

One more to go, but the next is really high, maybe next season.

Taking my new found confidence, hit livewire, then gypsy, did a few drops on Gypsy.. then there was a little drop, it snuck up on me, I thought, "go around" but at last minute, I decided to go for it..with not enough commitment, or speed.

I didnt fall. Breaking my seat in half, with my abdomen kept me upright :)

SO, the rest of the day was rough, trying to duct tape it enough it work, tried a few times, did a few more run. but sat around a lot (as you all know since whenever you came down, I was there)

Still, awesome day!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Desmo... glad to hear that you made the rest of the day okay with that duct-tape SDG saddle. I expect you to shadow box that after you have it bronzed. Haha...

Congrats on the third drop in the "Drop zone". I didn't do the first two, but I did hit the third one. Next time I go I'll hit the big daddy. The good thing about ladders is that one you're up on them, there's no bailing out or stepping off the ladder. You commit, and you go.

Get any pictures of you and your crew riding today?

Hopefully you'll get some rest tonight. I'm off to hit the sack.

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
No, mr photo here, and showed up with a broken camera. Have some helmet cam footage I will try to edit down.

Awesome meeting all the new people today from here!