Quantcast

North* reports here-

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
You too! It was really a cool day on the social scene. Thats what you get for being there from 9:00 to :00 and only doing 3 runs :)

I was thinking of setting up a demo.. ever want to try a Kumicho? my bike, your seat and post, take it for a spin!

here is the seat breaking action...

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
... sorry about the gap in the pavers on Lower Gypsy, but we ran out!!! We scavenged every paver on the mountain just to finish the berms. Anybody got any pavers laying around?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
... sorry about the gap in the pavers on Lower Gypsy, but we ran out!!! We scavenged every paver on the mountain just to finish the berms. Anybody got any pavers laying around?
There was a gap?

...seemed like a great improvement to me

Why apologize? What's there is an improvement and if there's anyone complaining about the lack of pavers on a mountain bike trail that they're riding their 7+ travel bikes on.........well....um.....yeah.........

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
I noticed no gap, I thought the improvement was awesome. Last time I was there, you (at least me) could roll the one steep rock in middle gyspy. the bottom was soft and cratered.. this time.....(let me find the video)

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Was camping in S Tahoe and fortunate enough to ride on Fri and Sat and "dude," I had a freaking blast! Not only is Livewire (lower closed both days?) and Gypsy the sh*t, all the staff and locals were super friendly and helpful in every way.

You guys are extremely lucky to have such a gem within reasonable driving distance and N* coudnt have made a better decision w/ their pick in trail builders and staff. I'll def be back and will be making some noise on this board when I do.

Rock on fella's...

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
There was a gap?

...seemed like a great improvement to me

Why apologize? What's there is an improvement and if there's anyone complaining about the lack of pavers on a mountain bike trail that they're riding their 7+ travel bikes on.........well....um.....yeah.........
How could you not notice the gap? It was like hitting a wall...

J/K. The work on those berms was great. Really cleaned up that section. Thanks for your hard work!

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Was camping in S Tahoe and fortunate enough to ride on Fri and Sat and "dude," I had a freaking blast! Not only is Livewire (lower closed both days?) and Gypsy the sh*t, all the staff and locals were super friendly and helpful in every way.
Pretty sure the section of Livewire you're referring to is the unfinished section. It hasn't been completed yet. Hopefully by this next weekend.?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
heya asa. maybe post a picture of what exactly you need. i think if each of just pitched in and brought in 1 paver that gap would be filled in soon.

kevin were you out there today? thought i saw you.... but i also thought you were supposed to be in canada

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Northstar was sick on Saturday. It was all about the chainless action and going big.

It was fun riding with all you guys.
The sad part is, Matt... is that on your chainless bike and platform pedals, you still whipped out over the hips, and were basically as fast as I was with clips and a chain.

Nice to meet you too, dude. :happydance:

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
The trouble with the gap is that when people hit their brakes through it, sand and silt is pulled onto the next section, making the next section a bit slick, and eventually, enough material will be moved to undermine the other pavers. I wonder what the lift opps would think of DHers hauling pavers in their laps on the gondola:crazy: It just might work.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Those pavers are making the place much more enjoyable to ride and because of them, I'm much more willing to bring my family of 12 to the mountain and stay in the wonderful condos.

The mountain's willingness to provide a dedicated trail crew with the resources they need to build a well maintained bike park shows...... and I hope it continues.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I think I may have met a few of you w/o knowing it and perhaps even rode up on the lifts w/ a few of ya. I was probably the only Asian guy on the mountain w/ the grey Coiler.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
I think I may have met a few of you w/o knowing it and perhaps even rode up on the lifts w/ a few of ya. I was probably the only Asian guy on the mountain w/ the grey Coiler.
If you saw someone in a bright orange 661 helmet on a chainless SWD, that was me.

Or, if you heard anyone yell, "Go Big!" that was me too.:biggrin:

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
If you saw someone in a bright orange 661 helmet on a chainless SWD, that was me.

Or, if you heard anyone yell, "Go Big!" that was me too.:biggrin:
I actually do remember you, I stopped at lower Gypsy to let you guys pass as you were leading in a pack of 3 down Coaster yelling "Go Big!!!!":rofl:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I actually do remember you, I stopped at lower Gypsy to let you guys pass as you were leading in a pack of 3 down Coaster yelling "Go Big!!!!":rofl:
Haha! Classic. Was the 3 pack all SWD's? If so I was one of them =]

I was most likely the guy laughing following the guy yelling "Go BIG!" to everyone.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Haha! Classic. Was the 3 pack all SWD's? If so I was one of them =]

I was most likely the guy laughing following the guy yelling "Go BIG!" to everyone.
Hey Heckler,

Do you dig your swd? I have a coiler currently for downhill & a Bullit for a woods bike. I was considering using my bullit for dh, but I don't want to screw it up.

Anyway I am considering buying a swd crazy 8, is it worth the price for the improvement? The other bike on my list is an intense Socom

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
The Crazy 8 is nice. Its pretty solid and really quiet going down the hill. Its a different riding experience for sure. I had a VP Free before this frame and I prefer the simplicity of this frame. The customer service is so so. It is a small company that recently started picking up business so the owner takes a while to get back to you.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Hey Heckler,

Do you dig your swd? I have a coiler currently for downhill & a Bullit for a woods bike. I was considering using my bullit for dh, but I don't want to screw it up.

Anyway I am considering buying a swd crazy 8, is it worth the price for the improvement? The other bike on my list is an intense Socom
It is a good bike for sure. My only complaint with mine is the non replacable hanger, which Steve is fixing. He plans on coming out with a replacable hanger to retrofit on all the frames within a month I heard.

Anyway, Start Spam :spam: (I have a Crazy 8 frame for sale in the classifieds, with bent hanger, but Steve will fix it for you, and it still has the Lifetime warranty.

link:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=8129&cat=24
End Spam!

tahoetoad

Chimp
Jul 21, 2007
ASA, just as someone else had said, give me some info on the pavers and maybe I can get some up there for you guys. I might be up tomorrow riding. If you are there, I am the guy on the white Mongoose Black Diamond.
I will have beer with me if any of you trail crew need a refreshment.

Rad times in Northstar on Sunday and Monday...

Special thanks to EVERYONE for being very welcoming to our Jersey crew... I was riding the yellow Sunday with black mag wheels...

The trails were super fun! You guys are on the right track with the new trails... Boondocks was just as epic and fun as I remember, even with the changes at the bottom!

Thanks again to Dan for being the first to welcome us to North*!
Thanks to Max the liftie, for giving us a place to stay and being a cool dude to chill and ride with!

continuing our journey through NorCal and up to whistler by next week :)

-Marc

Kevin G

Chimp
Jul 11, 2007
Fairfax, CA
Can anyone report on these trails?

- Big Trees
- Little Trees
- Manure Pile
- Pho Dogg
- Tor's Hammer
- Playground

Never tried 'em and was wondering what they were like and if they're worth hitting.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar

- Big Trees
- Little Trees
- Manure Pile
- Pho Dogg
- Tor's Hammer
- Playground

Never tried 'em and was wondering what they were like and if they're worth hitting.
poo dogg, big and lil trees, playground, manure pile all fun but watch out for manure pile cuz theres crap all over it

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.

- Big Trees
- Little Trees
- Manure Pile
- Pho Dogg
- Tor's Hammer
- Playground

they are all worth hitting, espacially big trees and pho dogg. and dukes is not kidding about manure pile, there really is crap there. you'll find out by the smell of it when you go through it.
and it's "Thor's hammer", they misspelled it on the map. silly people.

Kevin G

Chimp
Jul 11, 2007
Fairfax, CA
Ah cool; thought "Tor" was an old Nordic spelling for the god. Can't wait to hit the sh*t in Manure Pile; maybe it'll keep those luscious lift ladies off my back.