Quantcast

North Shore!

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Wow, I'm in Victoria, B.C. right now and I just got back from riding. They have quite a network of trails, on which most people are riding around on Norco and Kona, trail and DH bikes. I went to the only designated mountain biking facility/area on Vancouver Island(the island where Victoria is at) named the Mount Work - Hartland Road Mountainbike park. The city even went as far as building a parking lot there for them, complete with fully functional restrooms and a spot to clean your bike at, with a hose and bike racks, and it also has an air connection and air hose to pump your tires. At the park you ride throught the entrance about 150-200 yards and you'll reach what they call the TTA, Technical Training Area. This spot has a Kiosk with a large trail map on it as well as a bunch of bulletins and flyers for events taking place there and in the area. Besides the kiosk, it has a bunch of north shore style stunts and obsticles, ie. teeters, bridges, wheely drop ramps, and a mix of stuff, and of course there are a couple set of rollers with 7 ft gaps and a table top. I only got to see one of the trails, and on that trail alone in the 3/4 of a mile that I rode of it, I saw like 4 other trails branch off of it. We stopped and had a quick session over this small log jump. It was more like a drop with log's going perpendicular to the trail and they put a couple smaller ones on top to make a bit of a lip. The drop was only 2 feet, but it was at the bottom of this downhill section, so you could get goin pretty fast over it and get some distance off it. 200 meters past that jump, while climbing up the hill, my derail. hanger broke. Oh that, set me off, I was bitter about it, but I kept my cool and played it off. So that ened my north shore experience real fast. But going back down the trail was all downhill for the most part, so I took my derail. off and just coasted down. I set it up as a single speed when I got to the TTA and farted around on some of the stunts, till my chain just kept poppin off and I gave up. I met a few people from SIMBS, South Island Mountainbike Society, who is responsible for the caretaking of the park and all the trails in the south island area of Vancouver island. A bunch of very friendly and cool people. I'll be comin' back to ride with them, that's for sure. :)

Now a lil bit about Downtown Victoria, it's an awesome place for some real good urban riding. I'm talkin big stair set's, ledges, drops, gaps, and there's even a public cement skatepark 1 1/2 mile away from the main downtown area to ride at. It's free, there's no fences or anything, you just get off the sidewalk and right into the bowls and spines. Victoria is a haven for mountain biking, and they say Vancouver is way better! Damn, I can't wait to come back and hit up Vancouver/whistler as well! Alright all, I'll be back in SD in a couple weeks, so I'll see you then. Peace! :thumb:

Patrick