Quantcast

Northeast blizzard discussion thread

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
right now it's 6 degrees and there is about 8"s started at 3pm. And lucky me i'm working tonight. I'm a firefighter/emt so i'm hopeing people are smart and STAY HOME!!!

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
binary visions said:
So, I just did what any good New Englander with all wheel drive should do when 10-20 inches of snow is predicted...

...donuts.

:D

I also taught my girlfriend how to drive a clutch, and she did her first donuts - some great ones, too! :love:

nice Subie :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
berkshire_rider said:
Only 3" so far? You should grab your light and go over to Crandall Park. :devil:
Bwaaahhhh....
Just got back from PSU (dropping my sisters off for the spring semester) and -8 with 9 1/2 inches and counting. Saw a bunch of accidents on I-87 and it's not even that bad that far north.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
there's a huge snow drift on our deck. i think i'm gonna be shovelling snow for 4 hours today. . .

added two pictures. the 1st shows the drift. miles is about 3'3" or so. the other shows the backyard. the snow is about up to the swings.

Attachments

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
heres a random act of dumb. im sitting here in georgia. its been jumpin from 30's to 60's on and off this month. then i get the call ,from a band hiring me.(NECROPIA-death metal) so where am i going......Maine...AGGGHH!....next week......why? you may ask.....well it boils down to the old story..." drummer willing to do anything to make it".pretty much... now...whos crazier? me leaving the warmth and year round riding, or the guys in the band comming down here, in that blizzard, to load up 2 trucks with equip. and drive back up.
yeah sure..wait it out.. but nope ,cant do it. its a "opp knocks deal" now or never.
well wish me luck on this drive through that snow, and by the way,,anyone know of the trails around the augusta area up there? i'll be there for a while ,so when it melts away, i wanna ride. ltr. (if i make it there in one peice) \m/

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The blizzard sucks. Used the snowblower once yesterday. Later I went out again, it stalled (I think cause the snow stuck on the blades was too heavy - forgot to clear it out before using it again). I was yanking the cord on the starter and it broke right off and the stupid dealer has the electric starter on the blower but he didn't install it right, so it doesn't work, I gotta shovel like a foot of snow off my drive this morning :mumble:

splat

Nam I am
Stiil snow Very hard Here ! I can't see the house across the street ( or the street for that Matte)r. hard to measure How Much. But 2 of the doors to go out side have 3+ foot drifts in front of them so they are not opening . ( yet in front of my Garage door there is Nothing it all blew away ) my guess is about 18 -24 inches out there.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
14" fell so far, and the snow is supposed to fall for four more hours.
Well they were wrong then Babs because it stopped here in Avon - but the wind is blowing like a mofo out there now. Brrrrrrrrr.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
there's a huge snow drift on our deck. i think i'm gonna be shovelling snow for 4 hours today. . .

added two pictures. the 1st shows the drift. miles is about 3'3" or so. the other shows the backyard. the snow is about up to the swings.
put some pants on that kid! ;) :D

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Snow has stopped in Glens Falls/Saratoga, NY.. Total accu. I'd estimate around 18" at my house. Saw lots of cars off the road on the way to work this am. I think they were left over from last night. Roads are still a mess and I had to use 4WD on the highway the whole way here. (about 20 miles). Hopefully all this beautiful champagne pow-pow won't all get scraped off the mountain, I wanna go snowboarding on Tues.!! :)

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
I walked to the center of town because i was bored, there was no one else out there. the drifts on the sidewalk were up to my chest, so I had to walk in the street.as soon as this thing breaks, I'm going out to take some pics

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ugh...just back in from almost 2 hrs of shoveling, after my wife was out there for probably 45-60 mins. just about done. my rough calculations (and my back) tell me that we moved about 2200 cubic feet of snow. we have 2', and i broke my driveway into two rectangles (the long one roughly 70' x 7.5', the other being 28' x 20'). didn't account for the curvature, or the % of snow which would tumble back down if you didn't throw it high enough.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerChk said:
My programs do not include back pain brought on by poor posture from bending at the waist to shovel snow.
They've make been making ergonomic shovels for about 20 years now...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We did our clean-up this morning. I shoveled off the walk and half of the deck and Squirrel cleaned out the driveway with the cub cadet and then helped me finish the deck. We got a grand total of 14" at my place so I guess the outdoor riding is over at SMBA for a little while :(

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
We got a grand total of 14" at my place so I guess the outdoor riding is over at SMBA for a little while :(
I'm headed out there to snowshoe this week if you guys are going to be around? :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
blah.....snowblowers are for wimps!

shoveld twice, my dway can hold 9 cars, snow was so light I speed shoveled - didnt take long at all

I spent the day at Gore skiing!!