Quantcast

Northeast Monkeyfest 2004 Reports

Cliff notes:

Well, there was sausage. Lots of sausage. Thanks, Echo! :drool:

Monkeys from the Carolinas, from DC, from Colorado, from Hawaii... Rolled in all day Friday.

Three rides Friday, two during the day and one at night. pigboy, following family tradition, did a nose dive and took 24 hours deciding that he was alive again.

Various rides Saturday, more sausage. More beer. More music. A second night ride, which pigboy joined. Rain. Bonfire. Fireworks. Treesaw on the night ride laughing maniacally while crashing.

Three hour ride this morning by the diehards. EVeryone back home or headed there.

J :dancing:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Here are some shots I took on Friday afternoon of Deyv, Echo, and Squirrel rockin the Monkeyfest Stunts!

The order:
Echo, Deyv, Deyv, Squirrel!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Some more Stunt pics - Deyv went so big in one that I cut off his head!

The blue sky in the last photo of Echo is indicative of what the weather was like on Friday - except that it was friggin wicked hot and pretty damned humid too.

The Friday night light's ride down Moose Alley was fun as hell! A ton of Monkeys ripping it up, hooting and hollering and ringing bells (spincrazy!) mixed in witha few oh ****s and grunts and groans - so much fun!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That was fun! It was great to see so many monkeys again, and meet many new faces too.

NEGladeRider, your camp is the perfect place and you are a big reason these two annual gatherings have been so awesome. Thanks again!

I was privileged to add Squeak, Tammy, Psycle-on, Steff, BikeGeek, and pigboy to the growing list of great Ridemonkey members I've met, rode with, and had beers with.

I had this great plan of taking lots of helmet cam footage, pictures, etc... but once again I couldn't stop hitting that jump over and over :p Good thing there were many other monkeys around who were documenting the festivities :thumb:

The weather threatened all weekend, but the rides were rain free on perfect singletrack, and there was plenty of rain free time for jumping and stunt riding.

Another awesome successful Monkeyfest! Thanks everyone!

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Looks like you had fun. I freaking overslept the funeral and I am in it deep for that with my fathers side of the family.(Well except for my father, who hated the person anyways) It was a fun visit with my uncle today. You definately had more fun. Me what I did then on Sat was get on the bike despite being ill and hit the trails.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
johnbryanpeters said:
Cliff notes:
Various rides Saturday, more sausage. More beer. More music. A second night ride, which pigboy joined. Rain. Bonfire. Fireworks. Treesaw on the night ride laughing maniacally while crashing.
J :dancing:
I am really good at crashing you know ;) :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
What a weekend!!!! :D I still have perma-grin from those trails!!!!!

What can I say...it was such a pleasure meeting and riding with so many awesome people. Good times, great riding, beers, stunts, laughter, marshmallow roasting from 6 feet away and fond memories to tide me over til' the next monkeyfest...oh, and plenty of pictures!!! :D

Like this one...I like to call it the "Incredible, Edible Ridemonkey".

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Here are a few shots of the stunts.

First...our gracious host NEGladeRider doin' his thing!

Next...Deyv throwin down some skillz on the teeter.

Yes, he is drinking a beer :D

Squirrel can wheelie on anything (as you will see again later)

Air Echo...

The multi-talented Isabelle showing off her skillz on the balance beam ;)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
TreeSaw said:
What a weekend!!!! :D I still have perma-grin from those trails!!!!!

What can I say...it was such a pleasure meeting and riding with so many awesome people. Good times, great riding, beers, stunts, laughter, marshmallow roasting from 6 feet away and fond memories to tide me over til' the next monkeyfest...oh, and plenty of pictures!!! :D

Like this one...I like to call it the "Incredible, Edible Ridemonkey".

mmmm............Treesaw you are a cake artiste!! And it tasted might yummy too!!

I want to thank NEGladerider for letting us camp at his place - it rocked. I also want to thank IAB and MBC for driving to and from this weekend! It was nice traveling with you two.

Such good times. It was also great to see Jollytime again - sucked that he couldn't ride with us this weekend - but still great to get to spend time with Jollytime and Mrs. Jollytime. JT was really the person who sparked my love of riding bikes and it is always great to catch up with him.

So great to see the Jackelopes again, and Treesaw and Earl and douglas and Justbill and Deyv and Isa and Jozz and Karine, etc. etc. Great to meet other monkeys for the first time as well including Johnbryanpeters, Pigboy, Psycle On and Tammy, Squeek etc.

Great to catch up with Bikegeek too - he had the best tent at monkeyfest!

Can't wait til next year, and/or maybe another Fall northeast Monkeyfest?? :D

splat

Nam I am
Well Now that i hav estarted Lets get down to the Facts !

First a Huge Hige thank you to NEgladerider for the use of his camp again!!
it rocked , and it is the vebue that Makes this Monkey fest what it is .

thanks to Echo for sausage.

on Friday m around 2 we went on the first ride ofthe day
IAB, MBC, MMcG, Deyv, Isabel, Douglas, JBP, Pigboy, Squeak and Me.
we did a A little 6 mile loop that took a little more than an Hour.

Here is MBC , IsaBel and IAB coming up a slight climb

MMcG

IAB and MMcG coming through a little mud Hole, we all told them the line was on the other side , did we make it ? NO. did they ? Yes! show what we know

Isabel , coming up to a small Mud Hole

JBP and Squeak

Douglas , Deyv and IAB same spot

Isabel happy we are at the top of the final climb. now down to Monkey Camp.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Now for some ride photos...

Welcome to the Kingdom (buying our trail passes)...they have awesome bike stands :D

Our group (of 14 :monkey: s) getting ready to depart from the bike shop parking lot.

Singletrack heaven...

Wrong way ;)

Much fun was had on this log (and if I can figure out how to post my short video of justbill's hand hopping skills you will see what we mean) :D :devil: :D

Here I am on some sweet singletrack :love:

Isabel rollin' a steep rock.

Johnnybryanpeters takin' a well-deserved rest after a gruelling black diamond climb.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
After our epic XC ride, there was good food (yes, more of Echo's sausages), beers, a wild n' crazy night ride and some bonfire pics.

From left to right: Douglas, Stef, Isabel (front), Echo, Deyv, pigboy, TreeSaw.

Woah Echo, careful not to burn that big stick :sneaky:

Looks like he needs a hand with all that wood :devil:

Get your minds outta the gutter...Steff made him a marshmallow roasting stand.

All-in-all, an AWESOME time was had by all!!! Thanks again! :D

splat

Nam I am
2 nd ride from Friday.

Here we go headed down the drive way IAB, Pysclo_on, JBP, Douglas , Tammy and MBC in the back

MBC, and Tammy crossing a Bridge

IAB says , More Pedal , less chat

IAB inot a Wood bridge , but it was very diconcerting with the logs going parralell to the trail.

Douglas and pcyle on

Next came the night ride, =well I brought up all my light , and was going to let IAB and MBC use my 2 good systems While I set up with My old commuting set up.
they BAgged the ride , but I was alreay set this way so I rode this way!

and here is the night ride a Pict at the top of mosse alley watching the sting of light come up the hill , ( squeak in the fore ground)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A good time had by all (except for barfing at 5:30 this morning from some bad food)

Oh yeah, I mentioned this place to a few people - Fell Mountain - I'd like to go in a week or two - if you are interested PM me. Same length as the ride we did on Saturday (14 mi.) only super technical. Flow is so good, feels like 2/3 downhill and only 1/3 uphill :D

splat

Nam I am
Now here is the Big ride from saturday. the group of 14 , ( 2 other smaller groups were out there also)

Here are Squeak and Isabel

the whole group. ( jozz and echo mapping out the route over there on the right

Isabel exiting a trail

The Jumping log .
JBP goes over it .

Deyv shows a faster way to go over it

JustBill , says you guys are going over it the easy direction.

and fianlly Squirell just up and over , and never touched said log

Tree saw !

JBP, with douglas behind him.

Squirel exits a trail

Isabel , aproacing a bridge.

Deyv tries to get up on this .

Justbill gets a little farther

Josh crashes out

and Deyv , finally makes it

Echo Looking spent , that single speed was just beating up on him

Afew more are catching up

Echo and Douglas on a fast down hill

Deyv same downhill

Deyv on a rooty downhill

Treesaw same downhill

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
syadasti said:
A good time had by all (except for barfing at 5:30 this morning from some bad food)

Oh yeah, I mentioned this place to a few people - Fell Mountain - I'd like to go in a week or two - if you are interested PM me. Same length as the ride we did on Saturday (14 mi.) only super technical. Flow is so good, feels like 2/3 downhill and only 1/3 uphill :D
Syadasti - you are Josh? Damn - If I had known I would have asked you about your Cortina, your Loco-moto and your TAlas.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Echo said:
Heh, I didn't know Josh was Sydasti either :p

Good to meet ya man.

For Chrissakes, why don't people introduce themselves as their RM screen names? :D Josh, did you get the bug out of your ear?

Our plans to show Tammy and psycle-on some Connecticut trails yesterday were washed out by rain, rain, rain. So we ate and watched cartoons instead.

Monkeyfest 2 was indeed fun, and MBC survived a night of camping (she is already talking about the next camping trip! :eek: ). :D I am REALLY bummed that I didn't get to ride with the big group Saturday, and double bummed that Jozz, Steff, and Karine were waiting for us at the shop and we didn't hook up with them. :( I would have loved to ride with them. In any case, it was nice to se my friend Jollytime again over breakfast, and the ride with MMcG, MBC, tammy, and p-o Saturday was an awesome 16 miler. P-O took really nice pics from that ride. I have a bunch too, and I will post them tonight.

Did Monkeycamp get rained on Saturday night? We drove trough TORRENTIAL rain coming home, and it started soon as we got in 91 in Lyndonville.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
yup, it rained but we didnt get too wet - we were all hanging/cozy under the two ez-ups ( I am so glad I bought one!!!)

But it let up, so we were hanging by the fire and Squeek was trying to talk us into a night ride...it wasnt working so well until he said "I thought this monkey fest was about riding bikes!? "
That one worked! So 8 of us went on one of the most fun (even thou it was pretty short) rides I have been on in a while!! A night ride down Moose on the Bigrigs w/Isabelle waiting for us with cold beers at the bottom - slick/slippery and so much fun!

Well Squeek and PigBoy biked up that crazy long hill !! Squuek is one heck of a fast climber

after we calmed down from that ride, we went back to hanging by the fire and were impressed by ECHO's big stick

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I Are Baboon said:
Monkeyfest 2 was indeed fun, and MBC survived a night of camping (she is already talking about the next camping trip! :eek: ). :D I am REALLY bummed that I didn't get to ride with the big group Saturday, and double bummed that Jozz, Steff, and Karine were waiting for us at the shop and we didn't hook up with them. :( I would have loved to ride with them. In any case, it was nice to se my friend Jollytime again over breakfast, and the ride with MMcG, MBC, tammy, and p-o Saturday was an awesome 16 miler. P-O took really nice pics from that ride. I have a bunch too, and I will post them tonight.

Did Monkeycamp get rained on Saturday night? We drove trough TORRENTIAL rain coming home, and it started soon as we got in 91 in Lyndonville.
It was good seeing you Phil. And nice meeting Tammy too. Glad we could hook you up..... Sorry for not being socialble and stopping by the Monkeycamp all. Our next trip up to the Kingdom we will be more social. This was my vacation and I wanted to get as much riding in as possible up there. And boy did we ever ride! We did 31 miles Thursday, 19 miles Friday (up Moose Alley!), 28 miles Saturday (ouch), and then 11 (up Dead Moose Alley and Upper Dead Moose Alley!) on Sunday before we left. We rode it all. The weather held out, food was great, beer flowed (but not as much), good company, awesome campsite, and great trails. We all had fun. Probably not as much fun as you guys as I can see from the pics :devil: We are planning to go back up the second week in October. It was all good. I missed JT, relay to him that I am sorry and we will see him next time........jdcamb

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MMcG said:
Syadasti - you are Josh? Damn - If I had known I would have asked you about your Cortina, your Loco-moto and your TAlas.
I mentioned it to a few people, but I suppose they thought I was mumbling incoherently or something :D How many people would say it right anyways - sya-dasti

The bug problem went away in the morning. Either it came out in the night or died in my ear, oh well :confused:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
For Chrissakes, why don't people introduce themselves as their RM screen names? :D Josh, did you get the bug out of your ear?
Or, just wear a T-shirt with their avatar on it ;) :devil:

I Are Baboon said:
Oh yes!!!! There was quite a bit of rain. That, coupled with the beers & fatigue, made for an interesting night ride down Moose Alley! :p

splat

Nam I am
MtnBikerChk said:
hey splat - I think you should carry the good camera on the ride next time :)
Yeah and the Wife would Kill me!!! :mumble:

But Yeah I posted the Riding Pics last night I will post the pics from around camp tonight. I took over 300 pics so it is tough to decided which ones to post and which ones not to.

BUt I have some really goods ones of Tweek Breaking the teeter tootor , Justbill doing a face plant on the bridge of death , etc , etc

plus I am already running out of space in the gallery, I am going to run out of the 4 MB, ( I have 6.5 MB worth of pics I want to post, which is way down from the 560 MB worth I took! )

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Sounds like a good time! Freak and I are bummed we couldn't make it but the house hunting had to take a priority :( Hopefully we'll get to meet up with all of you soon!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Next time I say I'm going to leave early to beat the traffic, someone slap me. My 9.5 hour trip home took 12hrs, 45 minutes. :dead:

It was well worth the drive though. I'd do it again today if I could. :thumb:

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
What a awesome weekend. I am so sore from all the riding and the playing around camp.

It was amazing to see all the knowed monkeys again and meet some news ones. You guys rocks! Isa and me had such a great time.

We did a awesome ride on Sunday, the sky cleared and the sun was shinning. We did a small 12 milles loop and went in the river to freshned up.

Good times, thanks to everyone for coming.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Looks like another good time! Wish I could have made it out to meet and ride with you all.

That cake looks to be the shiznit.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Morryjg said:
Fall Monkeyfest at the Kingdom???? It wouldn't happen to be during the last week of September would it???
You mean peak foilage? Holy tourists! :eek:

We were actually talking about early to mid-October, but nothing is set yet.