Quantcast

Northeast Monkeyfest 2005

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
BikeGeek said:
Just heard from RJ at the Burke Mtn Campground that there are some lean-tos and "plenty of tent sites" available for 22-24 July. I replied asking for a phone number so I can reserve a lean-to site. I'll post up the number when I get it.
Thanks!

Edit: Found it...

Burke Mountain Campground
A delightful small campground on Burke Mountain, with 5 lean-tos and room for 19 tents. Hot showers are available.

Information and reservations line: 802-626-1390 or 802-626-3322

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Crazy Sweeper said:
What's this lean-to stuff? I know what a lean-to is but is it an alternative to your tent, or something to supplement your tent?
It's a large wooden thing to sleep under. No tent needed unless it's really blowing and rainy. You can just make out our sleeping bags in there.

Attachments

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
berkshire_rider said:
Send an email to rjburke at wildmail dot com and tell him the dates and site number you want. There's a map HERE

For reference purposes, site #17 isn't available. :D
Did you need to put a deposit down?

The picture above is site #15. :)

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
BikeGeek said:
The picture above is site #15. :)
Sorry for the late reply, I can only surf at work during lunch, and I went for a ride after work.......

Anyway, no deposit necessary. Just tell him the site # you want, and he will send you back a reply in a couple / few days saying it's reserved in your name.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hopefully me and a friend will be able to go, should I worry about reservations now? I'm not positive I will be able to go but is there any chance I would end up going but not being able to reserve a spot at that time of year, I'm not familiar with those grounds or the area so I don't know what kind of traffic the park gets.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
GumbaFish said:
Hopefully me and a friend will be able to go, should I worry about reservations now? I'm not positive I will be able to go but is there any chance I would end up going but not being able to reserve a spot at that time of year, I'm not familiar with those grounds or the area so I don't know what kind of traffic the park gets.
Last fall when I was up, the woman at the B&B told me that they had seen more mountain bikers that summer then in all previous summers combined. May be an exaggeration, but the point is the trails are becoming very popular. The campground that was near empty the year before, was booked solid the same time a year later.

The campsites are a decent size. If I remember correctly, #12 is very big. The lean-tos could easily sleep at least 6 people. I'm sure you could squeeze in somewhere if you choose not to reserve a spot.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
BikeGeek said:
The campsites are a decent size. If I remember correctly, #12 is very big. The lean-tos could easily sleep at least 6 people. I'm sure you could squeeze in somewhere if you choose not to reserve a spot.
The downside is (if I remember correctly) that you can only have like 1 car parked at each site. That may differ for the larger sites.

I may have room at my site, as far as I know right now, I'm flyin' in solo...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
McGRP01 said:
The downside is (if I remember correctly) that you can only have like 1 car parked at each site. That may differ for the larger sites.

Maybe. Deyv and I both parked at our lean-to with no problems, but, like I said, the campground was near empty that year.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:

as of right now I'm driving up solo

hey, you taking that Friday off?

we should think about saving some gas & driving up together

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I Are Baboon said:
Sweetness.

I guess Moose Alley night runs are going to be tougher now. There is always Dead Moose Alley though.
We should have a night criterium around the campground, with a beer chug every lap. :D

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
as of right now I'm driving up solo

hey, you taking that Friday off?

we should think about saving some gas & driving up together
Yeah, I'm planning on either working 1/2 day ('til noon) or taking Fri. off alltogether. Driving up together sounds like a plan!! :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:
Yeah, I'm planning on either working 1/2 day ('til noon) or taking Fri. off alltogether. Driving up together sounds like a plan!! :thumb:
great!

I'm taking the whole day off :D

Hmm, I think I should bring my DH helmet/pads/etc for this night Crit

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I did a night ride down moose alley w/my DH rig last year, but we camped at negliders place (which is at the trail head) and had a shuttle back up -

but this year, there's no way am I riding my DH rig from the camp site to negliders place

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
It's pretty cool that we're planning this so early, but on the same note its annoying because I'm psyched up and I have to wait almost 4 months. Maybe I'll go wait in line for star wars to open....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Crazy Sweeper said:
It's pretty cool that we're planning this so early, but on the same note its annoying because I'm psyched up and I have to wait almost 4 months. Maybe I'll go wait in line for star wars to open....

The anticipation is part of the fun. :D

PS: Bring beer.