Quantcast

Northeast MTB Tour August 17th-September 10th

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've been planning a big MTB trip with my good friend Peter from Wellington, New Zealand for about 6 months now. I have mentioned it in other threads, but I figured I would start one for it.

He's got his tickets and I've built him a new bike for the trip. I'll be riding a 07 Turner RFX w/08 Talas 36RC2 and Pete will be riding an 07 Turner Spot w/06 Talas 36R. Pete is into XC and All Mountain so focus will be on technical XC/all mountain/light FR.

Any suggestions are welcome maybe even you can make some of the rides.

**Current Itinerary** (Trail names and local riders)
-August 17th Arrival at Night
-August 18th Huber/Hartshorne, NJ and Rest (Misc NJ Riders)
-August 19th Visit NYC
-August 20th Blue Mountain, NY (jrfor0)
-August 21th Trumbull, CT and drive to Case Mtn Area (About2bike possibly MBC, IAB)
-August 22st Case Mtn Riding and Drive to Boston Area (MBC, IAB)
-August 23rd Rest in Boston
-August 24th Vietnam Trails, MA (Suspectdevice, Narlus, Splat, BostonBullit?)
-August 25th Suspectdevice's MA Trails (Suspectdevice, Narlus, Splat, BostonBullit?)
-August 26 Berkshires, MA Riding (Berkshire Rider)
-August 27th Day off in VT
-August 28 Stowe Trails (TW, JR, and/or don)
-August 29 Morning - Waterbury (TW, JR, and/or don)
-August 29 Afternoon - Hinesburg (JBP and anyone who can make it)
-August 30th Adirondacks, NY Riding (johnnyru)
-August 31st Day off in Ithaca, NY
-September 1-2 Ithaca, NY Trails (Misc. CNY Riders)
-September 3rd Day off in Elmira/Corning, NY Area
-September 4th Fell Mountain, PA (Misc. CNY Riders)
-September 5th Prompton Dam, PA and Drive Home (Misc CNY Riders)
-September 6th Allamuchy, NJ (Misc NJ Riders)
-September 7th Allaire, NJ and Start Packing (Misc NJ Riders)
-September 8th Ramapo/Ringwood, NJ and Packing (Misc NJ Riders)
-September 9th Visit NYC Morning/Early Afternoon Finish Packing
-September 10th Departure in the Morning

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Looks like a fun trip. I am sure Johnnyru will be an excellent SMBA guide....you may want to also hit Spier Falls (lots of climbing, but it's excellent technical singletrack). I have done both in the same day with a minimal break for food in the middle so I am sure you guys can handle it. Also in our area: Grafton, Lenox & Pittstown, MA are also good rides.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Looks like a fun trip. I am sure Johnnyru will be an excellent SMBA guide....you may want to also hit Spier Falls (lots of climbing, but it's excellent technical singletrack). I have done both in the same day with a minimal break for food in the middle so I am sure you guys can handle it. Also in our area: Grafton, Lenox & Pittstown, MA are also good rides.
-August 26 Berkshires, NH Riding (Berkshire Rider)
This one is going to be Lenox, aka Yokun Ridge. You, Sq-earl, Davis, Douglas, Tigg and Johnnyru should join this ride. :)

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
hmmm, if your really into the FR seen i have a secret trail id be willing to show you if your ever in the Lake George Region. just let me know and id be glad ride with you.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
hmmm, if your really into the FR seen i have a secret trail id be willing to show you if your ever in the Lake George Region. just let me know and id be glad ride with you.
Secret trails rule:rockout:

I am but Pete isn't, so I am not sure if it would be a good fit. The Spot will be the longest travel bike he's ever owned...

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
focus will be on technical XC/all mountain/light FR

-August 21th Trumbull, CT and drive to another CT Trail (possibly MBC, IAB)
-August 22st CT Riding and Drive to Boston Area (MBC, IAB)
Here's a list of some of the riding areas within driving distance:

CT Trail Reviews

There's even a ride locator map that shows proximity of each area.

August is waaaaay too far in advance for me to make plans, but if you remind me closer to the date, I should be able to make one or both of the CT ride days.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah Bikerag is definitely a great resource for trail reviews. I was hoping to give everyone advanced warning as lots of rides are on weekdays.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
looks like a great way to spend a month!!!!

Diablo is an option ..
as is the new NYC Trail at highbride... its very very technical...a lot of rocks and off cambers.. ive busted my ass a few times there

also make sure you hit ringwood, ask someone there where the fun trails are..
allaire is ok.. there is a mostly fast flat section.. and then a very small area with technical stuff.. personally id skip it...

once it gets closer id love to show you guys around Hartshorne.. thats my favorite place to ride!!!!
also it may be worth a trip down to Maryland ( right near DC) for Schaffer Farms (sp?) another favorite trail of mine

email me or pm if you have any questions

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I know of Diablo, I helped Shawn and Clayton with the reopening in 2003 clearing trails, making signs, web promotion, etc.

Pete wants to visit NYC for general tourism - I rarely visit the city unless its absolutely necessary...

As I mentioned above, the Spot will be the longest travel bike Pete has ever owned. Gotta make sure he makes it through the whole trip in good shape ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
also make sure you hit ringwood, ask someone there where the fun trails are..
Yes we are riding from skyline to ringwood through some trails at Ringwood and back to skyline.

allaire is ok.. there is a mostly fast flat section.. and then a very small area with technical stuff.. personally id skip it...
Depends on if you know where stuff is. They've integrated some of the stuff Stony W. has made there (tigerwoods), there is more twisty singletrack there now. The northshore stuff is pretty ghetto there and the jumps aren't the greatest. Its the last ride of the trip - supposed to be low-key/cool down kind of ride...

once it gets closer id love to show you guys around Hartshorne.. thats my favorite place to ride!!!!
Yeah I live less than 15 minutes from there. I first started riding there in the late 80s when you could ride everywhere and there was still the telephone pole trail, etc...

also it may be worth a trip down to Maryland ( right near DC) for Schaffer Farms (sp?) another favorite trail of mine
Cool, maybe we'll check it out if we have some time - I'm always up for new trails.

You are welcome to join us on any of the rides.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
RFX is built and I have 38 miles on it already. Should have Pete's Spot built up soon...

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i'm going to be visiting family in glen falls, ny from this wednesday to sunday (7/11/07 - 7/15/07). anyone interested in riding? i'm making a stop at diablo tomorrow and will probably be riding whiteface all day on thursday. i was thinking about making a day trip up to bromont as well during my stay and visiting a friend in burlington, vt while i'm there.

any suggestions on other options for riding? i've been to bromont once and whiteface a few times, but can only really do day trips since i'm supposed to be visiting family while up there for at least 3/5 of the days.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Whats the Stewart Buffer Zone, what does it offer?
It's fast and flowy with jumps, a stone quarry to play (more jumps), and miles of trails that run next to swamps,ponds and woods. Best of all, it's right off of 84 and the Thruway. I've never taken anyone there who's been disappointed. Unlike many of the other places in the area, there aren't a huge amount of rocks to suck up your speed.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It's fast and flowy with jumps, a stone quarry to play (more jumps), and miles of trails that run next to swamps,ponds and woods. Best of all, it's right off of 84 and the Thruway. I've never taken anyone there who's been disappointed. Unlike many of the other places in the area, there aren't a huge amount of rocks to suck up your speed.
Sounds good I'll send you a PM.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
i'm going to be visiting family in glen falls, ny from this wednesday to sunday (7/11/07 - 7/15/07). anyone interested in riding? i'm making a stop at diablo tomorrow and will probably be riding whiteface all day on thursday. i was thinking about making a day trip up to bromont as well during my stay and visiting a friend in burlington, vt while i'm there.

any suggestions on other options for riding? i've been to bromont once and whiteface a few times, but can only really do day trips since i'm supposed to be visiting family while up there for at least 3/5 of the days.
The SMBA Trails are LOTS of fun and they're in Saratoga Springs. If you're up for a ride Thursday let me know.

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
question, the Blue Mountain, NY you are thinking about visiting on August 20th, is this the same Blue Mountain that is in Peekskill, NY??

if so, i could give you guys a kick ass tour of the area. shoot me a PM

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
How about Rothrock State Forest in State College, PA? Great singletrack and an EPIC route to boot. Plus, there would be atleast two more Turners in for the ride ('06 5 Pack, and a '02 RFX).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'd love to check it out, but it might be a little too far off our schedule Tour route to fit in the time allotted. I have a friend Ron who works for the weather service and lives in that area. It would be awesome to do the Rothrock ride and then check out J4 (if it was still open). J4 is a great cave, I've been there 2-3 times when it was still open. I've also been to Sharer's cave and a few others in the area.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just over a month to go...got Pete's Red Spot ready now.

Spot Talas is at 141mm and RFX Talas is at 130mm...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Not a big deal. There's actually a "big bike" ride at SMBA on Thursday. Fun, slower pace with lots of stuff to huck off.
Yeah, and I was the only one to actually bring a big bike! (all the others just ride HT's but jump + drop like it's a big bike, thus putting me to shame!)

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
I'd love to join you guys for a romp through vietnam, I live near there and cant get enough of the place. I work at Bike Alley in worcester, ma so stop on by if you have the time.