Quantcast

Northern Oregon surf spots?

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I've done some research online, but I was hoping someone could help me out with some local knowledge. I'm thinking about driving out to the Oregon coast next month and would like to spend a day or two surfing. Anyone have any advice on where to go?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There are a bunch of spots from Seaside to Manzanita. Starting in the north...
Seaside propper (cove or the point)
Ecola state park/indian beach (couple of $ to park ..go early and miss the toll lady)
Short Sands beach at oswald state park (turn out on highway, walk through camp ground to beach)

That should get you started and are the usual spots. There is a great surf shop in Seaside called Cleanline and they should be able to tell you what is breaking.

there is also some good info on this site.
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/OswaldWestStatePark.shtml
just navigate through the listed breaks in northern oregon.

Have fun!

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
Jeronimo said:
I know that it's in the "Red Triangle", so try a beach break. The man in the grey suit lurks under the reef and rock breaks.
Red Triangle? That doesn't sound good. Thanks for the tip - I'll check out a beach break for sure.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
nmjb said:
Red Triangle? That doesn't sound good. Thanks for the tip - I'll check out a beach break for sure.
start paddling as fast as you can for shore if you hear "dah-dum....dah-dum...dah-dum...dumdumdumdumdum."

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The water was a nice 52 degrees today. I tried surfing here, but it's not quite the same. For me the water was too cold and the waves were too small and too far apart to be worth the effort.

I know some people who love it, but they haven't surfed elsewhere either.