Quantcast

Northern VA dirt jumping trails??

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
Hello everyone! New member here...I must say, this is one of the best sites I've visited, very informative.

Now, let's get to the thread...I consider myself a beginner --> intermediate mountain biker, and do not consider myself a FR/ DJ/ DH junkie by any means, but consider myself a weekend warrior. I respect all aspects of the sport of biking. I currently own two mid-range xc/DJ bikes, which I custom-built:
1) 2005 Redline Skookum M...
2) 2005 Fetish Cycles Obsession L...
* I will post specs soon!

I usually ride Wakefield (GMU), W&OD, and Burke Lake...so as you can see, I need to get the hell of the city and find some nice trails.

I desperately want to get into dirt jumping, and have spent the past three weeks researching local trails/parks in search of entry-level--> moderate jumps, but have not found a single one (besides Bull Run in Reston). Most of the nice trails are located 2-3 hours away from the DC-metro area.

I need to find a trail or a park where I can develop my skills, and I am willing to drive 1.5 to 2 hours to get there, so if anyone knows of a great trail that's moderately technical, PLEEEEASE share suggestions.

* Since I am new to DJing, I am not willing to invest in high-end parts, even though I am more than familiar with most components in the market. I don't want to throw away my money while progressing as a rider. Once I feel ready, I will invest in the "GOOD STUFF"! Currently shopping around for a Da Bomb XLR-8R or Kona Stuff/Cowan frame and a pair of 24" FR wheels (very difficult to find under $200)

I will upload some bike photos soon.

Thanks!

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
2005 Redline Skookum M
'05 Marzocchi AM2 (air; 120mm)
LX drivetrain
Avid BB7 160's and levers
Azonic shorty 25.4 x 50mm stem
FSA PIG headset
Sun DS-2 26 fr/rr
Azonic Fusion platforms
ODI Ruffian grips
Easton EA50 low riser
Race Face Evolve XC BB
Titec XC 27.2 post
Attivo saddle
Truvativ 5D XC cranks
----------------------------

I will soon replace...

Truvativ 5d cranks with Race Face Evolve XC
Sun DS-2 wheels with Sun Rhyno Lite/ XT wheels
Attivo saddle with ...
Marzocchi AM2 with Marzocchi DJ2 or DJ3 (coil)

Attachments

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
Word. RideDC is where it's at.

PM me (same user name) and I'll hook you up with ALL the spots. Street, dirtjumping, park, ect...

Blockhead

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006

Since you're a beginner, building small DJs to learn on will be quick and easy.
I concour. It's awesome that you want to get into DJ'n, but maybe other people's DJ's arent the place to practice. It takes 100's of hours a year to keep trails up and running proper and the people maintaining said trails are not going to be verry happy with you if you destroy all their jumps casing them with your knobby tires. Odds are whatever trails you find are going to be mainted by bmx'rs who as a rule dont usually take kindly to mt. bikers in the first place. Make your own, learn what it takes to maintain them, and how to ride them without damaging them, then go looking for other peoples trails. You'll earn alot more respect going about it this way, and if you get good enough maybe the bmx'rs will pretend not to notice how big your wheels are.

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
I agree with the fact that it takes a lot of effort to maintain trails, but the truth of the matter is, BMXer's don't own trails, and the same goes for mountain bikers. I am sure there are trails all over the place with different set ups. The plan was that those interested in learning to DJ start somewhere, and if it means that we visit a local spot with a few jumps, then that's where we're headed.

Blockhead

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Well Im sure with that attitude you've got tons of people lined up to Pm you directions to their trails. I dunno how they do things down there in Va but here in NY your bike would be up a tree in about 2 seconds.

Rule #1 of Dirtjumping: Who ever builds the trails owns the trails reguardless of who owns the land. I dunno how many REAL dj'rs you know but I dare you to show up @ their trails and try to tell them otherwise.

Dont misunderstand me I'm not hating on you, rather trying to help you. You've got some Noob misconceptions that need some ironing out. As someone who rides both BMX and Mt. Bikes and builds trails for both I've seen all sides of the issue, so take a lil advise from someone who's been hangin round the rodeo for a long time now.

When it comes to riding other peoples hard work RESPECT,RESPECT,RESPECT! Nobody wants someone who has no clue what their doing showing up, beating the hell out of their jumps, then leaving them trashed, for someone else to fix. Everyone has the right to learn, build and ride whatever their hearts desire, but not by destroying someone else's hard work in the process. In the time you spent sitting in front of your computer, looking for other people's jumps you prolly could've scoped out a vacant lot or nice little patch of woods and built your first set, which you would own and be free to do with what you will. Stop being so lazy!

THIS IS IMPORTANT: The secret to finding new spots to ride, is developing spots of your own, this transends every style of riding from bmx to shuttled DH/Freeride. Build a great spot, go the extra mile to make sure what you've done is magazine quality, then head in to the local bike shops, forums, skate parks, and trail networks, and share the location with every person you meet that looks like they might benefit from your spot. Once you've got the word out, all you've got to do is just keep hanging out @ your spot and wait for the people to show. Word of new trail spreads like wild fire, in no time you'll have riders pouring out of the woodwork like fly's on sh*t. Then its just a matter of talking them up. Ask them what they think of it. 9 times out of 10 they'll be like "its pretty cool but have you ever riden ...." and you'll be like " no where's that" odds are @ that point you've done enough to prove your a worker not a poacher and they'll usually tell you. I know it seems odd, and by the time your done building your not going to want to share because it might get torn down, and maybe it will. It doesnt matter, this was your sacrifice spot. Now your IN. Loose 1 gain 20

Good luck to ya!

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
I didn't mean for my opinion to offend anyone. I do respect everyone involved in designing, building, and maintaining trails. If it came across as such, I apologize.

If I had time, I would contribute to building trails myself. But I don't go out there like a rebel trying to vandalize It's enough that land is constantly being torn down by corporations to build their own little empire, so bikers and enthusiasts alike must stick together in order to ride whenever and where ever we please (as permissible by law). I agree, if there is no respect for those involved in creating and maintaining them, there will only be hatred...which ultimately impacts biking communities, venues, and racing organizations, to name a few.