Quantcast

Northern VA., Western Md....singletrack?

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
A group of us NEasters will be heading down to The Furnace at the end of april to ride. We are thinking about hitting up Harrisonburg one day, and maybe something else on the way back up. We did this trip a couple years ago, and rode in Gambrill...rode a loop that was marked...sort of rock double track, eroded, leafy. NOT the goods. Is there any nice buff SINGLE track in and around there? I've head talk of milliuons of miles of trail in the watershed near by, but are we taking about sweet brown ribbon, or big, blown out doubletracks? We are looking for the elusive creature know as sniggle....that tight winding, well maintained creature that ghosts through the forrest. Anyone, Bueller....Bueller, anyone?
Thanks,
JD

P.S. If you show us yours, we'll show you ours....and I PROMISE ours is worth the trip up here!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by JerseyDave
A group of us NEasters will be heading down to The Furnace at the end of april to ride. We are thinking about hitting up Harrisonburg one day, and maybe something else on the way back up. We did this trip a couple years ago, and rode in Gambrill...rode a loop that was marked...sort of rock double track, eroded, leafy. NOT the goods. Is there any nice buff SINGLE track in and around there? I've head talk of milliuons of miles of trail in the watershed near by, but are we taking about sweet brown ribbon, or big, blown out doubletracks? We are looking for the elusive creature know as sniggle....that tight winding, well maintained creature that ghosts through the forrest. Anyone, Bueller....Bueller, anyone?
Thanks,
JD

P.S. If you show us yours, we'll show you ours....and I PROMISE ours is worth the trip up here!
I live here and haven't ridden Gambrill in a long time. There certainly is some fun stuff there, but too many other bikers and hikers with dogs and such take the fun out of it for me. If you rode a marked loop, which one? Yellow...green...black? If you ride in the Summer instead of the Fall, the trails start to overgrow and get tighter and leaves aren't everywhere. The most fun trail for me is a 27 mile(each way) out-and-back- the Catoctin Trail(blue blaze). It is rocky and fairly technical, but if you are looking for groomed dirt singletrack, that's not it. There are some singletrack trails in the 'shed, but they are not marked; that's why they are still singletrack. All the singletrack trails spiderweb off the Catoctin Trail, so if that's what you like to ride, I'd suggest parking deeper into the Watershed where the roads are gravel and potholed and riding blue blaze until you see singletrack branching off.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
just because a trail gets ridden means it's not singletrack? OK...so there is no nice singletrack in No. Va/Md. I don't need dirt, just well maintained, well ridden single track. Someone has to know where the goods are. What about harrisonburg. Is reddish knob the zone?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
just because a trail gets ridden means it's not singletrack? OK...so there is no nice singletrack in No. Va/Md. I don't need dirt, just well maintained, well ridden single track. Someone has to know where the goods are. What about harrisonburg. Is reddish knob the zone?
:confused:

There IS nice singletrack in the Watershed. It branches off the Catoctin Trail but is unmarked, just as I said.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Elizabeth Furnace is a good trail ride. There are at least three major descents close together that are each classic east coast rocky singletrack, especially higher elevations. Vert is about 1200-1500' each. Not pure DH, but nice flow and natural obstacles.

Harrisonburg and the entire George Washington forest has loads of singletrack and even more wide stuff that appears to be old ATV trails. I don't like that stuff, and maps do not differentiate. The best map of GW forest I've seen is published by Nat'l Geographic. Get #791 to include Reddish Knob and points N and S from there. I'm no expert on that area, though, just happen to have the map open in front of me now.

Gambril S.P. and the Frederick Watershed: I'd give it a pass if you're driving all the way from VT. It's not as great as people say when compared to road trip options, but it is good if you live next to it or in the DC area. However, I'm biased toward long steep rocky descents on minimally maintained natural trails.

Within an hour by car of DC the Furnace and Gambril are the only places with vert.

If you want deboned, IMBA approved, fast, smooth singletrack I'd go to Harrisonburg. In fact, check out IMBA's epic rides page for a Harrisonburg epic.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Stiff
If you want deboned, IMBA approved, fast, smooth singletrack I'd go to Harrisonburg. In fact, check out IMBA's epic rides page for a Harrisonburg epic.
Although if you also want bone-jarring, rocky singletrack that will leave you wanting more travel, you can get that in the H'burg area too.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Originally posted by fonseca
Although if you also want bone-jarring, rocky singletrack that will leave you wanting more travel, you can get that in the H'burg area too.
Please advise Mssr Fonseca. I was told that there's nothing there that exceeds the normal capabilities of a 5/5 trailbike, and my limited visits there support that so far.

What I define as a bone jarring, rocky trail would be the rockiest bits of Wintergreen and Plattekill, much of Signal Knob trail (Elizabeth Furnace), and...I can't think of much else around here.

I love to jar my bones.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Please advise Mssr Fonseca. I was told that there's nothing there that exceeds the normal capabilities of a 5/5 trailbike, and my limited visits there support that so far.

What I define as a bone jarring, rocky trail would be the rockiest bits of Wintergreen and Plattekill, much of Signal Knob trail (Elizabeth Furnace), and...I can't think of much else around here.

I love to jar my bones.
Your bones require more jarring than most, methinks. :D

There are some trails you may have not seen in Harrisonburg or the 'shed, though. I didn't find WG particularly rocky by comparison, but it certainly is steeper and Mecca was pretty sketchy. I have yet to visit P-Kill, but I understand that it would destroy me. My guess is that you just have higher standards and are more difficult to toss from the saddle.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
The Shed definitely has some rocks, such as near the bottom of "drop trail 2," in the spot where the double drops are, sandwiched btwn two open rock sections.

But that trail's so short that it's not worth the drive from Vermont.

If there are other rocky trails in the Shed, I've yet to see them. There are some rocky sections of trails, such as Blue trail where it flattens out in an off-camber rock garden. Love that stuff. But overall, we need some more erosion there to get to the rock bed, then I'll be satisfied.

Pink trail's a good XC ride. Not rocky but has some nice flow.

But H-burg / GW forest just has more to offer and the NatGeo map is easy to follow instead of trying to deal with protective Shed locals and incomplete mappage. Visitors from waay out of town can easily hole up in Hburg opr a campground and do a new ride every day for a month. Just my two pesitos.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
The Shed definitely has some rocks, such as near the bottom of "drop trail 2," in the spot where the double drops are, sandwiched btwn two open rock sections.

But that trail's so short that it's not worth the drive from Vermont.

If there are other rocky trails in the Shed, I've yet to see them. There are some rocky sections of trails, such as Blue trail where it flattens out in an off-camber rock garden. Love that stuff. But overall, we need some more erosion there to get to the rock bed, then I'll be satisfied.

Pink trail's a good XC ride. Not rocky but has some nice flow.

But H-burg / GW forest just has more to offer and the NatGeo map is easy to follow instead of trying to deal with protective Shed locals and incomplete mappage. Visitors from waay out of town can easily hole up in Hburg opr a campground and do a new ride every day for a month. Just my two pesitos.
There is more rockiness than you have listed. No such thing as pink blaze, but a few of the local guys call one of the trails "Pink". I like long trails, so I rarely do the stuff off the Hamburg Road parking lot. You need to get deeper into the woods- when the pavement ends and you start seeing nothing but potholed gravel roads, you're doing better.

One of these days when you are going out that way(EF/GW), I'll have to tag along in your crappy shuttle truck. Like I said, I like long rocky trails myself. BTW, all the Frederick locals I know are the nicest folks you could ever meet. They'll show you fun stuff if you ask, but just don't want it posted all over creation. Too many cooks spoil the broth, ya know.

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
depending on exactly what you're looking for, here's a list of some of my favorite local XC trails:

patapsco (MD) - a pretty good variety of stuff, from smooth single track to pseudo-DH and a couple neato rock drops that i won't go near with a 10-foot pole, though i'd recommend going on a weekday to avoid the hikers and kids ;)

fountainhead (VA) - a short loop (7 miles?) but steep ups and downs, fun roots and stuff, etc

gambril (MD) - something for everyone... DH, XC, roots, rocks, etc.

if you're willing to venture as far as charlottesville, there's always walnut creek and sharando (sp?). i've also been hearing good things about pocahontas state park near richmond, but i haven't been there yet...

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
I think we are gonna do two days at the furnace, and one day in reading on the new FR/XC course. :devil:

We love the trails in the Elizabeth furnace area. A great early season ride for us. If any of you have never hit it, It's the goods.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I think we are gonna do two days at the furnace, and one day in reading on the new FR/XC course. :devil:
sounds like the way to go, man. The 'Shed is slowly getting more flow and singletrack, but for now the biggest draw is that it's only 45min from DC....

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by DßR
sounds like the way to go, man. The 'Shed is slowly getting more flow and singletrack, but for now the biggest draw is that it's only 45min from DC....
Dan, tell me straight- would EF beat me down Clockwork Orange stylee or would I actually have some fun there? :confused:

Casper Long

Chimp
Mar 15, 2004
Arlinton va
The first time I rode there it was on my 1991(fully rigid)rockhopper comp with the origanal set up. It was amazing I got bounced and bruised like never before and had major cramps in my left forarm as I did the ride with only my front stx-rc canti break due to a severly bent rear wheel. that trail is amazing. Also if any ony can do the hell climb from the resevoir to the top clean than u are a legend . I got more advanced bikes now that make it easier for me to move the next day after riding there but dont neccesarig make it more fun. Also 2nd only to the trails at EF in the experiance of making the trip out from DC is the ohh so yummy apple butter donuts available at the apple house (exit 13 off 66) wow great trails great donuts add good beer and Methinks I ve found what heaven on earth is.

PS look out for the billy goat at the signal tower he once chased me 1.5 miles trying to get at my wildberry power bar.

Highlander

Chimp
Mar 12, 2002
Berkshires
Depending which way you circle around and get to the top it can be hard or harder...but who wouldn't enjoy coming down Off the top? 4+ miles of +80% downhill!
I can't wait!!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
Dan, tell me straight- would EF beat me down Clockwork Orange stylee or would I actually have some fun there? :confused:
LOL - both, actually! Lotta climbing involved but what (little) I've ridden was fun as hell. Don't ride there with any leg-shavers and you'll undoubtedly have a blast.

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC

We love the trails in the Elizabeth furnace area. A great early season ride for us. If any of you have never hit it, It's the goods.
when are you going? i just posted that a couple of us are going on friday...

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I did a ride there about a month ago, and I'm looking forward to going back. Very nice trails; fast and rocky. The climb we did was also fun, if you like that sort of stuff.:p I like climbs that have very technical parts that are tough to clean (places where you can compete with your buddies to see who can do it), rather than flat and smooth roadie type climbs.

One of these weekends I'll go up there, booked this one though.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Hey JerseyDave, I'll join you if I can for a Furnace ride. I love that area. However, I only have a Big Hit so if you're going to be doing a big XC loop, then I'm not equipped. There are three different long descents that I know, all good and fairly techy. Which are you doing?

Highlander

Chimp
Mar 12, 2002
Berkshires
I can answer..I am rolling down with JD and the Stowe VT crew..I lived in Haymarket a couple years ago and rode the Furnace (alone..because no one here ever wanted to go) Every Saturday.

We are going to be on 4-6 inch "trail" rigs and doing some epic loops. Parking lot climb to Pink to Fireroad to Mudhole gap ..after multiple stream crossings out to a fireroad and LEFT....down the Fire road a mile or do...right onto singltrack up to the Ridge....orange trail back...down to Fireroad...left on Blue....rest at Resevoir...and do the Sitchback climb or Fireroad to Maneka Peak Trail (white) and Descent the Blue back to the parking lot.

We are also going to descent the yellow (signal knob trail) one day...Rock Garden Madness!! JD and I climbed it once..brutal! It's much more fun going down.

We will probably hit a loop across the steet one day too.

We are basically there to ride our asses off! But all our bikes are 35+ pounds and we have hair on our legs..no one is racing up!

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Rock garden madness that is, aye.... Jar me bones. Big Hit with Rohloff hub and skinny tires and an open face helmet could be the go. Let me know as plans solidify. My schedule is verrrry tight starting Monday but we'll see what I can do. No promises yet.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
we will be riding ALL DAY. 80 hour work weeks have been kicking my ass, the rock gardens at EF will be VACATION. I think 4 of us are on HTs, 1 Single Speed, 1 4 speed, 2 9 speeders. I think only 1 of us has a granny gear, and we are going to berate him into not using it. Needless to say, expect a gaggle of Slowclimbers that will be stopping to lay in the sun like reptiles from time to time. It was a COLD winter up here with temps of 40 below not uncommon...I'm ready for 70 and sunny!:D

2.9 work days ...and COUNTING. Time to make the doughnuts...I mean burritos!:(